Looking to share floor space in FTZ

cbgt

May 19, 2004
Greetings,

I am a printer (broker/independant) in the US (North Carolina) looking to set up a hand assembly operation in the DR. One of the areas within the print industry I happen to concentrate on is giftwrap, more specifically gift bags. Being in this segment also brings about other products requiring handwork as well. I currently have 3 sizeable projects needing steady hands of which I will train to create these particular products. For now, my intention is to import from the US to the DR, the printed/finished sheets for hand conversion, and ultimately finished product is exported back to the U.S. The bulk of this industry product and the like is produced in the Far East for obvious reasons.

Currently, I need approximately 1,500 square feet of floor space to accomodate 20 workers to start, with one supervisor and work upto 35 workers approx. to produce the first project and add-on as things progress. I have located a small building with 6,400 sq. ft. size space building in one of the FTZ parks at a price of $.17/mo. I do not need all the space as I've described but the building comes as a whole, they will not rent portions. So my inquiry is one of 2; Is there someone who is in somewhat of the same situation as myself who would like to "partner" space? Or secondly, is there anyone who already has space who would like to "sub-lease" some space they're not using to subsidize their costs?

I am also looking for a business person, of integrity of course, who is knowledgeable in the print industry somewhat (it's not rocket science, trust me) that might want to discuss possibilities of partnering the above mentioned project. I will initiate/train the supervisor and workers to the technical applications of how to create these products and then liason production from the U.S. along with periodical visits to the DR to spot check quality, production rate, etc. One way to handle compensation will be handled by way of "piece work", meaning production is paid by the piece. Which really is nothing more than an assurance that people aren't sitting around reading the comics while they're hands should be busy folding and glueing printed sheets.

This is a good opportunity for people, including myself. It's hard work, but there is a tremendous market for this. If you are legitimate and serious, please respond. Or if you would just like to comment from a commentary standpoint, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent. My knowledge of business in the DR is limited to the extent of; I know it's third world, people are people, I've been around the block a few times. I figure I can pick up spanish alot quicker than chinese. De hablo nuego.

Craig

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
FTZ in SDQ or Santiago? Could be open to discuss sharing space if in Santiago.

Best, Dave

cbgt

May 19, 2004
ftz space share

dms3611 said:
Best, Dave
Hi Dave,

The space I referenced above is in the capital city vicinity, however Santiago is fine. Ultimately, for the gift bags aspect of the business may very well lend itself to outsourcing locally in the DR in terms of originating production (printing itself) versus how we will start which is to import the printed sheets for hand conversion. This being the case, considerations of viable suppliers proximity to the FTZ park becomes a concern, as well as the suppliers being "in" the zones or operating "out" of the zones. My gut tells me if they're out of the zones may pose a problem with distribution synergies, i.e. paperwork entry, etc. into the park we would be doing the hand assembly portions of the projects. My other concern is logistics within the DR. I'm not familiar with the infrastructure in the DR and faith be the case, I'm sure trucking material from one end of the island to the other doesn't happen with a snap of a finger.

So I say all the above not to confuse what might come across as simple enough, but to just raise an "F.Y.I." of some of the issues I'm trying to forcast so as to position location as efficiently as possible.

Thanks for your consideration.

Craig

Cyber Park

Jan 2, 2002
mywebpage.netscape.com
FZ lease

Most parks have huge induestial buildings and will not handle small size lease.

HAINAMOSA Free Zone, located in the Santo Domingo East have a multi-tenant building with such shared facilities.

Contact me for details.
Gabriel
809 4404100
g_h_yon@hotmail.com
ONE Marketing Team

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
cbgt said:
Greetings,
Or if you would just like to comment from a commentary standpoint, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good, bad or indifferentCraig

Just to say that transportation from SD to Santiago is fast and easy.
FYI about costs:
To have a 40ft container shipped from Haina to SD I pay like 50 USD
It costs me, through a friend of mine, 100 USD to ship a truck equivalent to a 20' from SD to La Romana. SD to Santiago much better (Autopista Duarte). This is for truck and driver, no handling of stuff.

If you ship your paper to/from SD' Haina, Hainamosa's location is quite convenient.

Barnab?

cbgt

May 19, 2004
Cyber Park said:
Most parks have huge induestial buildings and will not handle small size lease.

HAINAMOSA Free Zone, located in the Santo Domingo East have a multi-tenant building with such shared facilities.

Contact me for details.
Gabriel
809 4404100
g_h_yon@hotmail.com
ONE Marketing Team

Hello Gabriel,

I didn't realize that. I spoke with Hainamosa....they had 10,000 & 17,000 s.f. I believe it was. But no mention of a multi-tenant type scenario. I'll touch base with you Tues....meetings all day tomorrow. Thanks.

Craig

cbgt

May 19, 2004
This is good to know Barnabe and I thank you. Keep in touch.

Craig

Barnabe said:
Just to say that transportation from SD to Santiago is fast and easy.
FYI about costs:
To have a 40ft container shipped from Haina to SD I pay like 50 USD
It costs me, through a friend of mine, 100 USD to ship a truck equivalent to a 20' from SD to La Romana. SD to Santiago much better (Autopista Duarte). This is for truck and driver, no handling of stuff.

If you ship your paper to/from SD' Haina, Hainamosa's location is quite convenient.

Barnab?

Cyber Park

Jan 2, 2002
mywebpage.netscape.com
cbgt said:
Hello Gabriel,

I didn't realize that. I spoke with Hainamosa....they had 10,000 & 17,000 s.f. I believe it was. But no mention of a multi-tenant type scenario. I'll touch base with you Tues....meetings all day tomorrow. Thanks.

Craig

Yes Carig, looking forward to meet you tomorrow.
Free ZOne Parks dont like to lease small spaces, but we have to face reality of more service companies that can make more profit on smaller office.
those companies usually need other services that can be provided by the park.
gabriel

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Craig

I am also looking for a business person, of integrity of course, who is knowledgeable in the print industry somewhat (it's not rocket science, trust me) that might want to discuss possibilities of partnering the above mentioned project.

I have a degree in Graphic Arts and currently work as a production manager in a small commercial printing facility. PM me with some details of the partnering aspects of this project and I will contact you back. Thanks.

Bob H.