Leonel, if you last 4 years I will be surprised.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Leonel Fernandez has gotten off to the worst start of any president-elect in history. I can almost say already, that if the elections were held again today, he may lose 10 points. Just look at these first fumbles:

1)Just yesterday, only hours after kicking the corrupted PPH government out of office, he appoints a commission to meet with Hippo to arrange for the transfer of office. The two member group who visited Hippo at the palace consisted of Abel Rodriguez Del Orbe, former Leonel attorney general. No surprise there. For whatever strategy he was used, he is a capable and trusted man.
But the real surprise is the second man, none other than Frank Cabral Calca?o, one of the most hated men in DR, the electronic wizzard who has every Dominican telephone wired to the Dominican secret service violating all our civil rights. Cabral is one of the most corrupted men in DR, a former Balaguer henchman and gossip man, who has even taped sex and private scenes of citizens and politicians to pressure them into do it as he or the government wishes. If one were to pick the worst man to be a personal aide, there is only one person in the country who can outdo Frank Cabral...Pepe Goico. And not by much.
If this is the way of things to come, I predict a quick knockout for Leonel's honeymoon. In fact, as for me. the honeymoon is over. Leonel..."e Pa Fuera que tu vas"!!!
2)Second mistake. Leonel has admitted that he will emit sovereign bonds to solve the economic crises. ATTABOY!!! This guy is such a winner. No wonder I voted against him in 2000. Too bad I had no choice to vote for him(against Hippo)in 2004.

I am ready to support early strikes against this dude already.

TW

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nothing will surprise me!

Golo100 said:
Frank Cabral Calca?o, one of the most hated men in DR, the electronic wizzard who has every Dominican telephone wired to the Dominican secret service violating all our civil rights. Cabral is one of the most corrupted men in DR, a former Balaguer henchman and gossip man, who has even taped sex and private scenes of citizens and politicians to pressure them into do it as he or the government wishes.
I am with you. People, just remember the above name and you will see what happens to Leonel's tenure. Sorry Golo but even Frank Goico is an amateur compared to this guy. Can the dominican people, the ones that truly know about the dominican politics, go back and cast their votes again?. Many will wish they could when they hear about Francisco Cabral. Remember that name, please!!!!

Thanks for imforming me, Golo as per I did not know about it.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Golo100 said:
Leonel Fernandez has gotten off to the worst start of any president-elect in history. I can almost say already, that if the elections were held again today, he may lose 10 points. Just look at these first fumbles:

1)Just yesterday, only hours after kicking the corrupted PPH government out of office, he appoints a commission to meet with Hippo to arrange for the transfer of office. The two member group who visited Hippo at the palace consisted of Abel Rodriguez Del Orbe, former Leonel attorney general. No surprise there. For whatever strategy he was used, he is a capable and trusted man.
But the real surprise is the second man, none other than Frank Cabral Calca?o, one of the most hated men in DR, the electronic wizzard who has every Dominican telephone wired to the Dominican secret service violating all our civil rights. Cabral is one of the most corrupted men in DR, a former Balaguer henchman and gossip man, who has even taped sex and private scenes of citizens and politicians to pressure them into do it as he or the government wishes. If one were to pick the worst man to be a personal aide, there is only one person in the country who can outdo Frank Cabral...Pepe Goico. And not by much.
If this is the way of things to come, I predict a quick knockout for Leonel's honeymoon. In fact, as for me. the honeymoon is over. Leonel..."e Pa Fuera que tu vas"!!!
2)Second mistake. Leonel has admitted that he will emit sovereign bonds to solve the economic crises. ATTABOY!!! This guy is such a winner. No wonder I voted against him in 2000. Too bad I had no choice to vote for him(against Hippo)in 2004.

I am ready to support early strikes against this dude already.

TW

Maybe I'm reading too many of your posts, but Election 2004 wreaks of something nasty. I really hope everyone's wrong, but I'm afraid something rotten is in the air.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I do not have any insider information...but

....here is my analysis.

We all now accept that Hertell has always been in Mejia's pockets...publicly calling Mejia a "trusted friend" as recently as a few weeks ago. For Hertell to take a pro-active role in preventing the PPH from stealing the ballot boxes and preventing the election results from reaching JCE....something MUST have happened above Hertell's pay grade.

My guess that a combination of State and Treasury departments and the IMF et al struck a deal with both Leonel and Mejia.

Leonel would promise to honor all the horrible debts incurred by Mejia, Mejia would concede early in order to avoid violent clashes between PLD and PRD....this makes all the sense in the world.

Everybody wins:
Leonel: gets his rightful place as elected President.
Mejia: gets away with murder and robbery.
USA&IMF: Leonel pays back the money Mejia stole.

You just have to read the local papers (on-line as I can only do) and read between the lines of Hertell. When asked about the next president, his comments are almost exclusively about how Leonel has promised to honor all of the country's debts.

Furthermore, you look at Argentina. They went through a violent period after their crash. The government in Argentina has told the IMF et al that they will only pay 50 cents on the dollar of debts.

Money talks. As Jim Hincsh used to say.....follow the money trail. That is the true motivation of the political intervention of the USA/EU.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sovereign Bonds and Central Bank Cretificates.

Get used to them. They are here to stay. The amount of Central Bank Certificates in circulation went from nearly ZERO before Mejia to over DR$100 Billion by the time he leaves in August. That is more than the entire recent government budget.

Where did this money go? Its gone. You living in the DR will now have to pay it back. There is no magic to be performed.

As for external debt, which includes Sovereign Bonds, the number is even larger and harder to pay back because it has to be paid back in hard currency.

There is NO CHOICE. Either the DR defaults like Argentina, or you live in austerity for a few years (while emitting Bonds and Certificates....as already promised by the PLD team.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
mondongo said:
Sovereign Bonds and Central Bank Cretificates.

As for external debt, which includes Sovereign Bonds, the number is even larger and harder to pay back because it has to be paid back in hard currency.

There is NO CHOICE. Either the DR defaults like Argentina, or you live in austerity for a few years (while emitting Bonds and Certificates....as already promised by the PLD team.

If I read Leonel's comments right, their issue of sovereign bonds was to consolidate the ones we already owe. Kind of like when you have several credit cards and you take an equity loan out to pay them off. Now, I know that there will be some graft plus there are fees to pay whenever a new bond issue is performed, but if they can re-organize the debt to more palatable terms then it could be a good thing. The biggest problem they will face is how to get out of that cycle of inorganic money emission to cover the central bank certificates.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Okay, ... so I KNOW I'm a dreamer, an optimists, that I wear rose coloured glasses & I know NOTHING about the infighting that goes on in Dominican politics, .. BUT..... For Ch*^#'s sake, give the man a BREAK!!!! He has been "Elected" only & has not taken office yet. He is trying to find out the STATE of the nation & all the varying frauds/corruption etc that went on & IF ANY OF IT CAN BE SAVED OR GOT BACK!!!

The best way to cartch a thief is to send IN a thief!! As long as you can control him (the thief) & the information he brings back, why NOT send in a corrupt person to find out what has been happening & what can be retrieved??? Why not try to frighten the outgoing dirt with a broom that knows where to look for the dirt & how to use that dirt to attract a load MORE dirt? If this guy is as bad as you say he is, then he is THE BEST man for the job (as long as he can be controlled!!).

Before the election, many were extolling the intellect of Leonel - why has it suddenly vanished? He has been working on plans, ideas, possiblities for 4 years with brainpower a little more uo market than all our collective brains, so why not give a BIT of trust that he knows what he is doing in these first few days to find out the TRUE state of the country?

No, I am NOT being 'BLIND" to the fact that he could have chosen someone better but I don't know his plan/stratergy, so I will give him the benefit of any doubt ..... for NOW!!

No, I am not being "Blind" to the fact that he could continue the process of raping/piliging of the country that has gone on over the last four years ... BUT... I am prepared to give him 12 months Actually IN POWER before starting to castigate the man & his policies!!

PLEASE Golo, give the man a break & let's analyse his successes/failures & his modus operadi in 5 or 6 months of the man actually RUNNING the country!! - Grahame.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
BushBaby

I thought about this before...in other words, reasons why Leonel would take such a risk. I began to come very much to the idea you exposed. You may be right on target and time will tell. I sure hope it is just like you say. It is the only plausible reason I can think of. Could Dirty Frank have some nasty tapes and wiretaps in his briefcase during the visit to make Hippo get in line? Is that why Hippo is saying now that he wants a "clean transfer of power without dirty tricks"?

Come to think of it, if you're right, Leonel had more money than we expected to buy out Dirty Frank's tapes, and much more than Hippo has unloaded on the spymaster. Or just like old times, Frankie goes with the winner. This guy is as slick as Andy(greaseman)Dauhajre. ATTABOY!!
TW

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
BushBaby said:
Okay, ... so I KNOW I'm a dreamer, an optimists, that I wear rose coloured glasses & I know NOTHING about the infighting that goes on in Dominican politics, .. BUT..... For Ch*^#'s sake, give the man a BREAK!!!! He has been "Elected" only & has not taken office yet. He is trying to find out the STATE of the nation & all the varying frauds/corruption etc that went on & IF ANY OF IT CAN BE SAVED OR GOT BACK!!!

The best way to cartch a thief is to send IN a thief!! As long as you can control him (the thief) & the information he brings back, why NOT send in a corrupt person to find out what has been happening & what can be retrieved??? Why not try to frighten the outgoing dirt with a broom that knows where to look for the dirt & how to use that dirt to attract a load MORE dirt? If this guy is as bad as you say he is, then he is THE BEST man for the job (as long as he can be controlled!!).

Before the election, many were extolling the intellect of Leonel - why has it suddenly vanished? He has been working on plans, ideas, possiblities for 4 years with brainpower a little more uo market than all our collective brains, so why not give a BIT of trust that he knows what he is doing in these first few days to find out the TRUE state of the country?

No, I am NOT being 'BLIND" to the fact that he could have chosen someone better but I don't know his plan/stratergy, so I will give him the benefit of any doubt ..... for NOW!!

No, I am not being "Blind" to the fact that he could continue the process of raping/piliging of the country that has gone on over the last four years ... BUT... I am prepared to give him 12 months Actually IN POWER before starting to castigate the man & his policies!!

PLEASE Golo, give the man a break & let's analyse his successes/failures & his modus operadi in 5 or 6 months of the man actually RUNNING the country!! - Grahame.

Golo's method appears to be "cast allegations at EVERYONE" Hell, even a broken watch is right once a day :)

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
BushBaby said:

I totally agree with you! Give the guy a chance! I for one think he's damn brave for taking on this post again especially in the way it is being left. Leonel has a lot of work ahead of him and I hope the dominican people have realized that he will not be able to change the economic situation overnight. Too much damage has been done. I've been living here for 8 years and have seen both governments in action and let me tell you with my dominican salary I was living a hell of a lot better with Leonel in power! I know he can't bring prices down to what they were before but I have faith in him that he will make a difference!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Wise words indeed...

I think Mr. Bush is right on the money!

As someone pointed out to me today, you want make this messy Mr. Ex President, no problem.

In the purple corner we have Frank Cabral Calca?o fighting out of?

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Give The Guy A Break!

Jesus! Leonel doesn't take over until August 16th and already he is being disqualified because he has a goon on his side. Good!! Do you expect him to have 'The Little Sisters of the Poor' in his government? There are other characters on his side, like Claudio de los Santos, who for years was an 'everything man' for Balaguer and who probably has done and will do 'miracles' to counter the PRD/PPH, PRSC conspiracies, against Leonel and his PLD.

This game is for big boys and not for the weak-hearted! He will do whatever has to be done to try to overcome the terrible mess Hippo created and will leave behind and it won't be easy, quick nor pretty but needs to be done.
Give the guy a break!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm with BushBaby. I enjoy golo's reports, but he has never made a secret of his dislike of Leonel. In fact, in his first post after the election he indicated he had already started his effort to replace Leonel at the end of his first term. Consequently, his negative attitude in this thread is not new or surprising; he had made up his mind long before the final tally was announced that Leonel would do a poor job.

I imagine what he is peddling in this thread is the English translation of what he is peddling to his Dominican cronies.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Riddle me this, Riddler

suarezn said:
If I read Leonel's comments right, their issue of sovereign bonds was to consolidate the ones we already owe. Kind of like when you have several credit cards and you take an equity loan out to pay them off. Now, I know that there will be some graft plus there are fees to pay whenever a new bond issue is performed, but if they can re-organize the debt to more palatable terms then it could be a good thing.

The current bondholders are stuffees of an overhyped and ultimately weak performing bond from a country that was rated a whole lot higher than they are today.

So you do the debt consolidation loan as per your analogy which means you issue more bonds at much higher rates and the only beneficiaries are the mopes stuck with the current bonds who get to put them back.

And just who, pray tell, buys the next series of bonds? Not the stuffees, they learned their lesson. Junk bond buyers who will want 25% on US$ bonds, that's who, and maybe not even them.

For certain you won't get "more palatable terms" as you say since they are a terrible risk and you are adding more debt and thus debt servicing ( IN US$) to the pot to a borrower that has already shown an inability to service lower rate bonds for less overall value today. You cannot set the amortization fo the bonds to 500 years to get the payments lower.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What expectations will people have if this continue...

Imagine if what Golo has posted here (by the way, I'm not against Golo, he posts some very important stuff here, but his last post is just too early to tell if it might happen, though there is a possibility). But as I started saying, if what Golo has posted here gets out into the general public, don't you think Leonel's government will find out of the general public's perception of his government. Now, think about something you always wanted to do. Think of a problem (marital, work problem, etc.) that you wanted to fix, it was a problem created by a third party. Now, think about you're ways of going about fixing such problem, but everybody think that you are going to fail! Most people will then fail to solve the problem, not because they couldn't solve it, but because so many people lost hope on them that they lose hope on themselves and then they thought to themselves, why even bother! If we want a government that will take care of the Dominican people, we must believe in that government's initaitives to take care of it's people and we must make it clear to them. If we start off by being negative, the PLD folks (being the humans like ourselves) will eventually give up on the people, and THEN WE WILL REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A GOVERNMENT THAT TURNS OUT LIKE HIPPO, ONE THAT WON'T EVEN BE TRYING TO SAVE THE COUNTRY BECAUSE PEOPLE LOST HOPE ON THEM, BEFORE THEY CAN PROVE THEMSELVES. Please people, let's way until Leonel takes power and then, let's give him about 1 to 3 months. By that time it should be clear which detour his government will be taking.

BUT PLEASE, STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE! I HOPE THIS IS JUST THE BITTER SALT LEFT IN MANY DOMINICANS TONGUE AFTER THE DEVIL TOOK CONTROL OF THE COUNTRY FROM 2000 TO 2004, BUT LETS GIVE LEONEL A CHANCE!

REMEMBER, WHEN YOU APPLIED FOR YOUR FIRST JOB, YOUR BOSS DID NOT DISQUALIFIED YOU BEFORE YOU CAN PROVE TO HIM THAT YOU ARE EITHER WORTHY OR NOT WORTHY OF SUCH JOB, EVEN IF THE CONDITIONS WERE NOT VERY FAVORABLE. ALWAYS GIVE PEOPLE A CHANCE.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
OK guys

Your advice will be well taken. I will give the man a chance. I voted enthusiastically for him. I got up at 4:30am and ran like a devil to cast my vote for young Leonel. So I have to be calm. Ok Cool off Golo. Leonel is smarter than I am by 50 to 1,and he's faster on his feet than I am, so why should I question his judgement so early? I must have forgotten that this dude has already won the presidency twice in less than 8 years. This guy is amazing.Hey, he is my president anyway. I put him there. Right or wrong, I must give him at least 100 days for standard and another 100 days more because I voted for him. You guys win. No more Golo bashing please. I know when I pick the wrong fight.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I will throw this in, but will not translate

This is a communication I shared with my e-mail groups regarding the first 10 positive things and 10 negative things for Leonel since he won the presidency. I will not translate just now. I may do so upon request. In the meantime, I will share this with you. This is in reply to some concerns about a previous communication I sent the group regarding my thoughts about some actions taken by Leonel.

"10 cosas buenas:
1)Inspira confianza con su carisma de ganador. Una esposa brillante
2)Su reuni?n con Hatuey De Camps es un ?xito rotundo y otro golpe al PPH
3)Inmediato reconocimiento y respeto de autoridades Americanas
4)Consolidaci?n como l?der absoluto de su partido, pero con concenso y apertura
5)Unico l?der viable en el pa?s con oportunidad de movilizarnos
6)Mandato s?lido y contundente de las masas
7)Declaraci?n de no perseguir, sino unir
8)Cambio de liderazgo hac?a la fuerza con raz?n y mes?ra en v?z de apabullamiento
9)Su inclusi?n inmediata de Carlos Morales Troncoso en decisiones importantes
10)Reconocimiento general como presidente-de-facto antes de su inauguraci?n. Ya se d? como hecho que Hip?lito es un "lameduck" y lo r?pido que lleg? a ese status.
10 cosas malas:
1)Se sigue rodeando de las mismas caras de su pasada administraci?n
2)Ya hay demasiadas voces hablando sobre la direcci?n de su nuevo gobierno
3)Preocupante el ascenso del grupo PLP(Proyecto Leonel Presidente) otro PPH en formaci?n que hasta tiene su pr?pio programa de televisi?n, actividades y gerencia. Este es un grupo extremadamente peligroso que le traer? muchos dolores de cabeza a Leonel.
4)Su asociaci?n con personajes obscuros, tenebrosos y de mala reputaci?n pol?tica como Frank Cabral, Hector Inch?usti(quien debi? ser retirado aunque s?a por apariencias. D?be esconder a Sanz Jiminian y generales pasados.
5)Debe renunciar mientras s?a presidente de la Fundaci?n Global para evitar conflictos de inter?ses y no reunirse en su local durante su administraci?n en su escritorio.
6)Sus constantes viajes al exterior d?ben ser acortados para que le d? m?s calor al pa?s
7)Su menci?n de la malapalabra "bonos soberanos" no lo beneficia
8)Debe de minimizar su af?n por conquistas en las elecciones congresionales del 2006.Tiene que dejar que se enfr?e el pa?s y dejarle eso a los perdedores. La ?nica manera que el PLD gana en el 2006 es si h?ce bu?n gobierno en sus primeros 2 a?os.Si siguen en campa?a sufrir?n una derrota contundente.
9)D?be de borrar la im?gen de "comesolos" algo que no se ha logr?do todav?a, aunque haya sido colocada en un segundo plano por el protagonismo del nef?sto PPH.
10)Debe de anunciar su gabinete lo m?s r?pido posible porque las luchas por cargitos est? generando mala prensa."

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Translation here

10 cosas buenas:10 Bad things
1)Inspira confianza con su carisma de ganador. Una esposa brillante
1)Inspires confidence with his winner charisma. Potential great first lady
2)Su reuni?n con Hatuey De Camps es un ?xito rotundo y otro golpe al PPH
2)His meeting with Hatuey De Camps was a PR success.A PPH headache
3)Inmediato reconocimiento y respeto de autoridades Americanas
3)Inmediate recognition and respect from U.S. powerhouse
4)Consolidaci?n como l?der absoluto de su partido, pero con concenso y apertura
4)Consolidation as absolute lider in his party, but with concensus & openess
5)Unico l?der viable en el pa?s con oportunidad de movilizarnos
5)Only viable leader in the country that can mobilize us positively
6)Mandato s?lido y contundente de las masas
6)Solid strong mandate from the masses
7)Declaraci?n de no perseguir, sino unir
7)Declaration of no political prosecution or persecussions
8)Cambio de liderazgo hac?a la fuerza con raz?n y mes?ra en v?z de apabullamiento
8)A leadership change from force with reason instead of unreasonable force
9)Su inclusi?n inmediata de Carlos Morales Troncoso en decisiones importantes
9)His inmediate inclusion of Carlos Morales Troncoso in important matters
10)Reconocimiento general como presidente-de-facto antes de su inauguraci?n. Ya se d? como hecho que Hip?lito es un "lameduck" y lo r?pido que lleg? a ese status.
10)Recognition as de-facto president before his inauguration. It is almost a done fact that Hip?lito is a fast "lameduck"
10 cosas malas:10 Bad Things
1)Se sigue rodeando de las mismas caras de su pasada administraci?n
1)He continues surrounding himself with the same old faces from his past administration
2)Ya hay demasiadas voces hablando sobre la direcci?n de su nuevo gobierno
2)There are already too many PLD voices speaking on his behalf & policies
3)Preocupante el ascenso del grupo PLP(Proyecto Leonel Presidente) otro PPH en formaci?n que hasta tiene su pr?pio programa de televisi?n, actividades y gerencia. Este es un grupo extremadamente peligroso que le traer? muchos dolores de cabeza a Leonel.
3)the worrysome rise of the PLP(Proyecto Leonel Presidente)another PPH in formation with its own TV programs, activities and management.This is an extremely dangerous group which is going to give Leonel lots of headaches
4)Su asociaci?n con personajes obscuros, tenebrosos y de mala reputaci?n pol?tica como Frank Cabral, Hector Inch?usti(quien debi? ser retirado aunque s?a por apariencias. D?be esconder a Sanz Jiminian y generales pasados.
4)His association with darkside characters with bad political reputations such as Frank Cabral, Hector Inchausti(Who should have been retired, if only for appearances).He should hide General Sanz Jiminian and other military hacks.
5)Debe renunciar mientras s?a presidente de la Fundaci?n Global para evitar conflictos de inter?ses y no reunirse en su local durante su administraci?n en su escritorio.
5)He should resign from his Global Foundation while president to avoid conflicts of interest and stop having private meetings there during his administration
6)Sus constantes viajes al exterior d?ben ser acortados para que le d? m?s calor al pa?s
6)He should curtail his trips abroad slightly to warm up the country
7)Su menci?n de la malapalabra "bonos soberanos" no lo beneficia
7)His mention of the curse word "sovereign bonds" is not beneficial
8)Debe de minimizar su af?n por conquistas en las elecciones congresionales del 2006.Tiene que dejar que se enfr?e el pa?s y dejarle eso a los perdedores. La ?nica manera que el PLD gana en el 2006 es si h?ce bu?n gobierno en sus primeros 2 a?os.Si siguen en campa?a sufrir?n una derrota contundente.
8)He must minimize his party's passion for more victories in the 2006 congressional elections. He must let the country cool off from election fever and let the losers waste time with such efforts. The only way the PLD will win in 2006 is if it proves it can produce good government in its first two years. If they keep campaigning they will suffer a devastating defeat from which they may not recover.
9)D?be de borrar la im?gen de "comesolos" algo que no se ha logr?do todav?a, aunque haya sido colocada en un segundo plano por el protagonismo del nef?sto PPH que ha opacado hasta el diablo mismo.
10)He must erase the "comesolos" image, something they have not been able to do, even if it has been placed in the backburner by the role of the terribly sinister PPH, which has overshadow the devil itself
10)Debe de anunciar su gabinete lo m?s r?pido posible porque las luchas por cargitos est? generando mala prensa."
10)He must designate his cabinet inmediately to avoid the in-fighting among his supporters. This is generating lots of bad press.
TW