Problems browsing on Verizion Flash DSL ?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Almost every time I click on a page or type in a website I am getting "This page can not be displayed". The problem has been happening for about 3 weeks. I reinstalled XP and all updates, no improvement. I wondering if it might be a problem with the ISP, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing the same. If not, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this incredibly annoying problem?

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
ustelephone said:
Almost every time I click on a page or type in a website I am getting "This page can not be displayed". The problem has been happening for about 3 weeks. I reinstalled XP and all updates, no improvement. I wondering if it might be a problem with the ISP, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing the same. If not, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this incredibly annoying problem?
Hi, we're experiencing the same problems with our Flash at work. So you're not alone!

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Actually, I think I would have preferred to be alone, this means I have to deal with the phone company. I just weaned myself off of Valium from dealing with the electric company, and now this. I think I'll just wait till someone else calls it in.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm using Firefox and having the same problem. I find that if I keep clicking that I usually get it the 3rd or 4th time.

Glad somebody mentioned this. I'm relieved to know it isn't just me.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
ustelephone said:
. They said it would be fixed soon.

Just keep in mind, that you're dealing with the same guys who used to wear codetel uniforms a short while ago. :ermm:

I have the same problem, many times I have to enter the same direction twice to make it work. I thought it was the old PCs fault, that I'm using since a couple of weeks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you will find it's realted to their DNS servers in some way. If the address is in the URL window and you hit return all is ok.

I do not use Codetels DNS, we use our own, so we avoid many of the hassles associated with using theirs.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I think you will find it's realted to their DNS servers in some way. If the address is in the URL window and you hit return all is ok.

What do you mean by "hit return". If you mean "enter" when the address is in the URL window, this does not solve the problem.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, too, have been having a few problems

Glad to see that others are too. Misery loves company.

tomorrow night aT Rocky's we can comensurate....Boo hoo...

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hillbilly said:
Glad to see that others are too. Misery loves company.

tomorrow night aT Rocky's we can comensurate....Boo hoo...

HB

You might even see Jaime, Dolores and myself at Rockys if your lucky HB :)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have this problem wherever there is the Zyxel prestige 600 router installed. This is a very crappy router, hangs everytime we switch to inverter poewer and sometimes for no reason at all. (and no ups or regulator will fix it) it seems similar connections using the older Sisco routers work much better, although there are occasional failed lookups (niothing a quick F5 won't fix)

Since Codetel refused to change my router I am dumping their corporate DSL service in favor of Tricom's. (I used it for years with no trouble) Can't wait for Tricom to install the DSL, internet is almost unuseable at the office.

A little web searching indicates that the Zyxel 600 is a pretty unpopular little box, and there is no support from Zyxel I could find, at least not for the North American region. Either they dropped it or they only export it to 3rd world countries and don't care whether it works or not.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I'm using their old Cisco modem and am having the same problem... Sometimes during peak hours, I have to refresh up to 5 times sometimes to get a page to display... definitely seems like a DNS server problem.

Its been almost a month since this prob started for me.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Guys,

As Rob said, your problem is verizon's DNS servers. Most windows PC's allow for 2 DNS servers. You should use one of Verizon's, and one other, which is not verizon.

I have done this and I have noticed no problem whatsoever. I have both verizon and aster.

Where to get a DNS server? I am not sure; try looking around on the net, see if you can find some that are allowed to be used by the general public.

Adrian

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
After waiting 7 months I finally got my DSL line working with a Speedstream modem/firewall/router whatever.

I can't play my favorite golf game on-line because the modem blocks the ports for direct play. My techie has been trying hard to get that fixed. He succeeded once, only for the settings to re-set themselves after one day and now he cannot get it back to where the game works.

I have the same problem as other people while browsing, many pages come up with error.

So right now I am basically still using dial up - those same pages load fine with dial up where I have the problem with DSL.

If these problems don't get resolved I will give up DSL, doesn't seem like they have their chit together.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Help

I spoke to them again now, they claim they have received no reports of such a problem (not even mine).

I now have a ticket number: 2004-052100172

They say it will be fixed within 24 hours. No comment.

Anyway, power in numbers????

Last edited:

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
can't you guys use a different dns?
My Isp has a couple of dns #'s, published on their web site to use in cases like these

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Flash DSL

If I understand the problem, I rarely have it for reasons I do not know. However when it occurs there is a very simple solution. Reboot the DSL Flash box. It takes 2 seconds ,if that long.
Adam Spenser