Newbie visitor to DR requiring info

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
I am travelling to Cabarete with my partner next Friday staying at Aparthotel Caracol for 2 weeks. :laugh:

As I am a newbie to the DR, have never been to anywhere like this and have not travelled outside the UK for 11 years :disappoin I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could give me some general hints and tips so I don't get ripped off (as we are self catering). I booked the DR as a friend of mine has been and she said it was the friendliest of the Carribbean Isles but sometimes I can be too nice for my own good and frequently get conned.

Also, we are taking my mother-in-law as she has had a really rough ride of it lately so we thought she could use some cheering up. She is in her late 50's and upon visiting some of the discussions on this site it seems that Cabarete has quite a young lively party atmosphere - do you think she will fit in?

Finally, does anyone know when Race Week starts in Cabarete this year?

Many thanks guys (and girls)

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Caberete

I have been going to Caberete since 1997 and have returned 24 times after that. Its an easy going town with not really that many trying to get over on you. I never had any problems there ever.

Your biggest mistake will not be eating the shrimp at Casitas!!! They are the BEST I ever had!!!

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Lefgirl,

We stayed at a villa in Olas de Oro which is right smackdab next to the Aparthotel Caracol for two weeks last December. One thing you simply can't miss is the Tropicoco restaurant which is right in the same complex. The food is fabulous. We ate there several times.

Just across the street is a small convenience store called Rosa's. We would buy beer and water and a few incidentals there. They also have someone that can deliver larger items (aka beer and the large water bottles) on a scooter.

If you head out to the main road and hang a left, a little further down is a larger grocery store that has more things. Pretty much what you would expect to find. You may have to ask for things, We wanted some bacon and they didn't have any out but they were able to slice some up for us in the back. Prices are quite reasonable, at least by Canadian standards.

There is also another good grocery store right in Cabarete proper (I think it is right next to the Bank of Nova Scotia (?). They had sliced meats and cheeses and good fresh baked bread.

A word of advice. Don't buy too much food. We found that we mostly ate breakfast at the villa (I believe the Caracol includes breakfast so you don't have to worry about that) and pretty much ate lunch and dinner at one of the restaurants or bars in Cabarete. Prices are quite reasonable. One good place for a really inexpensive meal is the Chinese Restaurant on the main street in Cabarete. I believe entrees ran about 120 persos or there abouts.

Just next to the admin building for Olas de Oro is a laundry. You can drop of some things in the morning and they will be ready in the afternoon.

Cabarete has pretty much anything that you could require, but somethings will be more expensive. Sunscreen, toilettry products, paper products tend to be quite expensive so be sure to bring plenty of these (especially sunscreen).

As far as "getting conned" the most likely time that this will happen would be wiith the beach vendours. A lot of people find them annoying but I actually like (most) of them. The thing is to bargain like crazy if you are interested in something (and I mean really bargain). If you are not interested, a FIRM no gracias will usually do the trick.

There are lots of day trips and excursions to choose from and prices very quite widely. Shop around before making any commitments.

Both Sosua and Puerto Plata are within easy distance for a visit. If you head into Puerto Plata, the Amber Museum is a must see. It is also a pretty good place to buy amber if you are interested in that.

Though we did not stay at the Caracoal, we did see it and it looked clean and well maintained. I don't think you should have any problems there.

If there is anything else that I can help with, just let me know.

Rose

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
Jimmydr said:
If you make day trips the taxis stay with you and bring you back. Discuss peos always and it should be around $20-$25 for a day in Puerto Plata.

What??? Discuss Peos???...like "Pfffeeeewww that was a really smelly one" or "too much habichuela con dulce will do that".....I've still to try that method to get taxi drivers to bring their prices down.....I'll let you know how I get on....

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Have a great time here

lefgirl said:
I am travelling to Cabarete with my partner next Friday staying at Aparthotel Caracol for 2 weeks. :laugh:

As I am a newbie to the DR, have never been to anywhere like this and have not travelled outside the UK for 11 years :disappoin I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could give me some general hints and tips so I don't get ripped off (as we are self catering). I booked the DR as a friend of mine has been and she said it was the friendliest of the Carribbean Isles but sometimes I can be too nice for my own good and frequently get conned.

Also, we are taking my mother-in-law as she has had a really rough ride of it lately so we thought she could use some cheering up. She is in her late 50's and upon visiting some of the discussions on this site it seems that Cabarete has quite a young lively party atmosphere - do you think she will fit in?

Finally, does anyone know when Race Week starts in Cabarete this year?

Many thanks guys (and girls)

Hi .... I live in Sosua. Left the UK 2.1/2 years ago ..I have a great time living here. Please e-mail me if you need any help/advise.. I would be very happy to help you enjoy your stay in this wonderful country.

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
re: Newbie visitor to the DR

Hi, thanks for your e-mail.

I was just wondering if the Cabarete area has been affected by the weather problems (i.e. the torrential rain that has been on the news) as we fly out on Friday and want to be prepared for the worst!!