Visa card vs. Pesos

pensac

May 7, 2004
Generally,is one better off at a market or restaurant using a Visa card vs. Pesos?

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
if you pay in full

Your Visa or any other credit card, only makes sense, versus cash, if you pay your balance in full every month. If you start paying interest on your meals, etc., then cash would surely be better.

pensac

May 7, 2004
frank alvarez said:
Your Visa or any other credit card, only makes sense, versus cash, if you pay your balance in full every month. If you start paying interest on your meals, etc., then cash would surely be better.
Frank- My concern was the safety of using the card. I heard that totals are sometimes increased in some manner & that it was necessary to carefully check your bank statement each month. Also, would the exchange rate be a factor? What do you think? Thanks. Pensac

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Visa or Peso

You were not specific. If your Visa card is from the US I would use pesos, since it will cost you more due to an unfavorable exchange rate and a percentage charge the bank issuing the card adds to the bill. On the other hand if it is a DR bank Visa card always use the card, because of the float and generally the favorable exchange rate when you pay your bill versus the day you incurred the charge.
Adam Spenser

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use Whatever you Like

pensac said:
Frank- My concern was the safety of using the card. I heard that totals are sometimes increased in some manner & that it was necessary to carefully check your bank statement each month. Also, would the exchange rate be a factor? What do you think? Thanks. Pensac

The security is really the bank's problem not yours and frankly if you want to use it, go ahead. The exchange rate issue is often made up by them using interbank vs. cash rates anyway and as the peso falls you may pay less by the time the charge clears - I arrived here Saturday afternoon and the peso has fallen from 46 to 48.30 in 2 1/2 days. If you charged on Saturday the charge going through tomorrow would be for less than you actually paid in US$.

If you are a world traveller and you ahve a Visa card to help you travel there is no reason to be afraid to use it.