Trip report. May 2004

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Just back from another trip to the North Coast. The only bad thing about my trip is that due to the elections, I wasn't able to take my usual trip to Santiago so AZB and I could make our pilgrimage to Jarabocoa. That has become somewhat of a ritual whenever I fly down and it wasn't the same without seeing my buddy AZB.

Other than that, I had a great trip. This trip report is less of a "trip report" and more of a "people report". I met several DR1ers that I had not met before. The night I arrived, I went out to eat in Cabarete with Scott and Alberto who I already know and Robert, Ladybird, Chester4 and Dawnwil. Ladybird and Chester4 were hilarious. We had to wait about an hour and a half for the food to arrive and spent most of it laughing. AZB called Scotts cellphone while we were waiting for the food and Ladybird took the phone and started yelling at AZB. Dawnwil is one of the coolest girls I have ever met and we hung out several times throughout the week. It was great to meet Robert, the man behind DR1. It gave me the opportunity to thank him for putting up with me the past couple of years on here. He is a very funny and down to earth guy. Rob, I wonder if Ladybird ever found out what that gooey stuff was in her shotglass.

Sunday, I met La Profe1 for lunch and we had a terrific conversation. Grace, I think what you are doing down there is admirable. Thanks for giving me some insight to a side of the DR I had not seen. I am looking forward to doing it again on my next trip.

The rest of the week, I spent countless hours with Dawnwil and Motor City Mike drinking beer and shooting the breeze. One day, the three of us went to Restaurant Central ( I think that was the name) in Los Charimicos. We each had an appetizer, a main course and we drank three grandes between us and the bill was 510 pesos! Hard to believe. Motor City Mike was nice enough to pay the bill. Thanks Mike! Mike and I also hung out in the bars/discos a few nights and had a lot of fun. Like, I said, he and Dawnwil are really cool people. I am glad I got to hang out with you guys so much.

On the day I was coming home, I got to POP airport a little early. As I was waiting for the plane to start boarding, I sat at the bar annd ordered a beer. Then I walked over to the glass that encases the airport to get one last look at the beautiful country I had to leave yet again. As I looked out at the beautiful green scenery and the runway, I made eye contact with an airport worker who was driving a baggage loading cart along the runway. I raised my can of beer to him and he instantly smiled and gave me that little clenched fist salute that Dominicans do straight out from their chest. I smiled back. As the plane took off from the runway, I looked out and watched to country grow smaller until it was a little island in the big blue ocean. I felt a little depressed.
Larry

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Good report

the DR is a wonderful place in it's own right, but all the excellent people that Mary and I have met throught DR1 is truly icing on the cake. We've spent time with many of the people you mentioned and have enjoyed every one of them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I know what you mean Larry. I cry when I first see the Island from the plane and then I cry when I leave. One is from happiness and the other is because I'm leaving.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
I know what you mean Larry. I cry when I first see the Island from the plane and then I cry when I leave. One is from happiness and the other is because I'm leaving.
I am just like you anna except, I cry when I leave DR and cry even louder when I reach JFK.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Great report, Larry!!!!

Sounds very familiar to me. I dread leaving for the airport. I have this now-ritual where, on the cabride to the airport as well as on the plane after take-off, I view all of the pictures that I have taken of the new friends that I made during the trip. Also of the new places that I'd visited, kinda like a photo diary. Sad to think of what awaits me when I land at JFK.

Maybe on my next trip in July, I'll hook up with the DR1s there.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Great report, Larry!!!!

Sounds very familiar to me. I dread leaving for the airport. I have this now-ritual where, on the cabride to the airport as well as on the plane after take-off, I view all of the pictures that I have taken of the new friends that I made during the trip. Also of the new places that I'd visited, kinda like a photo diary. Sad to think of what awaits me when I land at JFK.

Maybe on my next trip in July, I'll hook up with the DR1s there.
Toneloc, seek me out next time in santiago. I will send you a PM when I arrive at atl. I will drop by to say hello to you and to Latino2002.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well needless to say I had the same feelings when I went back to NY from the DR. I fixed the reasoning behind the feelings. I now live in the DR and only visit NY.

Dawn is a hoot for sure, sorry to have missed MCM but hopefully I will catch him on his next trip. Chester, well Chester is Chester, nuff said about that:)

See you this week in NY Larry!
Scott

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Leaving the DR

Larry your post sounded so sad it got to me and I am usually not sad. Theres always a place for you here when you come back to keep your costs down. "What was in her shotglass"?????????? is that why it tasted so weird I couldnt drink it. So you and Robert were in cahoots eh? methinks me little brain better get to work on a little revenge when you return. Chester is a wonderful person as is Dawn, its a real pleasure having them as friends. Mike is special, Im looking forward to seeing you both soon.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
The road to Moca

Yay!! I'm cool, I'm really, really cool. hee.

Larry, it was so much fun. Great to meet you too. Fond memories tripping around with you and MCM.

You're going to love the Road to Moca. If someone here has a great singing voice, maybe he will come along and we can make a film version? Maybe AZB will agree to take on Bob Hope's role? hee hee.

That reminds me. The one disappointment during Larry's visit was the non-appearance of AZB. Why, we fretted about it for at least ... 30 seconds?

btw... DR1ers... Larry is true to his old handle: HE LOVES DR.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
what was in the shot glass

Ladybird, I do believe it was Sambuca.

Now, for a B52, it's:

Grand Marnier, Kahlua, and Baileys. Layered of course.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Larry said:
The rest of the week, I spent countless hours with Dawnwil and Motor City Mike drinking beer and shooting the breeze. One day, the three of us went to Restaurant Central ( I think that was the name) in Los Charimicos. We each had an appetizer, a main course and we drank three grandes between us and the bill was 510 pesos! Hard to believe. Motor City Mike was nice enough to pay the bill. Thanks Mike! Mike and I also hung out in the bars/discos a few nights and had a lot of fun. Like, I said, he and Dawnwil are really cool people. I am glad I got to hang out with you guys so much.

Larry

Larry,

I had a great time hanging with you and Dawnwil. I can't beleive how inexpensive that meal was at El Central. I spend more than that at McDonalds here in the states.

Let's do it again!!!!!!!

MCM

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Larry, Sorry we missed you by a few days! We are also having a great trip!! :classic: (except for some liquid sunshine) Time is flying, 5 more days and then good-bye for four months :(
John

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Pics

Hey Larry,

I see you've posted the pics from one of the nights out on the town. I'll never forget the flying cockroaches......LOL

MCM