Volunteer Trip

dprouty

May 24, 2004
Hello,

I leave on Wed. for a four week trip to the Dominican Republic, two weeks of volunteer work with the Crossroads organization (Puerto Plata area) and another two weeks of travel. I am just looking for any tips or recent necessary information before I leave. I am doing my best to educate myself on the area, the history, the country, and culture, but anything is helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
2 weeks of travel

dprouty said:
Hello,

I leave on Wed. for a four week trip to the Dominican Republic, two weeks of volunteer work with the Crossroads organization (Puerto Plata area) and another two weeks of travel. I am just looking for any tips or recent necessary information before I leave. I am doing my best to educate myself on the area, the history, the country, and culture, but anything is helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

You can do a lot of travelling in 2 weeks and it really depends on you, as to how much you want to see, but to start off, the natural route to take from POP would be to visit the Sosua/Cabarete area for as long as that entertains you, then move on to the Samana peninsula to Las Terenas and/or Las Galeras. If you like "mountain nature", a trip up to Jarabacoa would be nice, if you have time to fit it in.
Some people get a thrill from visiting the colonial zone in Santo Domingo, although you wouldn't find it on my favorite list.
As this country is so diverse and a lot bigger than most people think, there is a lot to do and personal choice is a big factor in deciding what you would like to do and where you would like to go.
You can PM or e-mail me if you want to meet up when you arrive. There is so much to do here that we couldn't even scratch the surface here on this message board.
Regards, Marco.

J

John Evans

is this a free service as I cant see any mention of having to pay anything.I have seen one volunteer site on the internet that was charging a fortune to do voluntary work