Concierto

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Is anyboby going to the concert on Sat. 29th, at the united Palace? Have any of you seen el grupo "Negros" before, they sing maravillosamente!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Go watch them while you can

This group will be just like all the other teen groups of three and four organized in DR. They come up with a quick success based on an over-promoted CD and lots of money spent by organizers, including buying off the Casandra Awards judges so they could win most of the awards. But they will be gone by next year. They will not be able to recover the investment. This group has no future.

TW

mariposa

May 19, 2004
wrong

Golo100 said:
This group will be just like all the other teen groups of three and four organized in DR. They come up with a quick success based on an over-promoted CD and lots of money spent by organizers, including buying off the Casandra Awards judges so they could win most of the awards. But they will be gone by next year. They will not be able to recover the investment. This group has no future.

TW

That is so not true Golo, have you heard any of their songs? They sing very good, and they deserve the awards they received at the Casandra's. Their cd has not been promoted in nyc and I heard them on the radio when I went to DR.( Tu ausencia se me nota....)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mariposa

This is not an unique group in DR. Singing well does not give you success. Groups just as good like Ciudad de Angeles are all but history. The most successful teen group in DR Los Ilegales has lost its shine and has never been the same again. Yet Ilegales is not just ballads. They have a much better repertoire than Negros. So far, Negros has not been able to place any song in Billboard's top 50, in spite of the investment by their promoters and the heavy hype. This is a prerequisite for some success.

I have heard "Tu me cambiaste la vida" a zillion times and they have saturated the DR market. Yet, their impact has been minimal. Bachata and even merengue gets more attention. The people who go for this music are pretty much captivated by Juanes,David Bisbal, Alex Ubago,and those who habitate the top 40 Latin hits. They have another problem..they're ugly.Not a chance.

TW

TW

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Golo100 said:
This is not an unique group in DR. Singing well does not give you success. Groups just as good like Ciudad de Angeles are all but history. The most successful teen group in DR Los Ilegales has lost its shine and has never been the same again. Yet Ilegales is not just ballads. They have a much better repertoire than Negros. So far, Negros has not been able to place any song in Billboard's top 50, in spite of the investment by their promoters and the heavy hype. This is a prerequisite for some success.

I have heard "Tu me cambiaste la vida" a zillion times and they have saturated the DR market. Yet, their impact has been minimal. Bachata and even merengue gets more attention. The people who go for this music are pretty much captivated by Juanes,David Bisbal, Alex Ubago,and those who habitate the top 40 Latin hits. They have another problem..they're ugly.Not a chance.

TW

TW

GOLO the DR RADIO.. is not monitored by Soundscan/Billboard therefore Negros will not see any success getting to the top 50 unless a major record label pick them up.......

UNLESS A MIRACLE HAPPEN NEGROS WILL HAVE A REALLY DARK DESTINY..

i love that group...
and i doubt it to happen...

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Negros

I was surprised to find out these are four poor youngsters from Villa Mella, for Christ's sake! They sound really good and do not seem like a local group at all. Regardless of whether they can stay up or not, they are very good and should not be minimized. Let's hope they can be successful in any case.

Porthos

May 13, 2004
they're ok

I know nothing about promoting and marketing a group and neither know wheteher these guys are on billboard and that stuff, but boy, they are cool. About the fact they are ugly, as Erickxson said, don't think that stopped guys like james brown, P. Diddy, Boyz II Men, and here, people like Johnny Ventura and To?o Rosario (el cuco). As a matter of fact, they are supposed to be a good representation of the average dominican man, and I don't have a problem with that. (BTW, Erickxson, are you gay? why do you mind their looks?).
IMO, I think they can do an outstanding job representing our country, and they'll most likely have success, unless money/team work/envy get in their way.

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Looks and style are everything

You don't have to be pretty to be successful, but it helps. The problem with our Dominican groups and singers is that the good looking people who can sing stay away from this business because of the social tabboo. It is surprising that the best looking males prefer modeling over singing. Likewise for the women. Our artists look like crap.

Negros has tried as a group to be upscale and chic. But it fails on both counts. The true barrio upbringing comes out. These guys are not even close to groups like Barrio Boys and yet Barrio Boys are gone. Sin Banderas is the only duo surviving this style internationally, and since their last CD they have dissappeared.

It takes a certain style to move to the top. You take Alexander Pires, the black Brazilian. This guy has as much style as the best white pop singers and has at different times become the leader of spanish pop. Negros is light years away from people like Pires. They just don't have it to crossover to international acclaim. Besides, it is chic to be black and Brazilian, but the typical Dominican look is not an international asset.
TW
TW

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Golo100 said:
You don't have to be pretty to be successful, but it helps. The problem with our Dominican groups and singers is that the good looking people who can sing stay away from this business because of the social tabboo. It is surprising that the best looking males prefer modeling over singing. Likewise for the women. Our artists look like crap.

Negros has tried as a group to be upscale and chic. But it fails on both counts. The true barrio upbringing comes out. These guys are not even close to groups like Barrio Boys and yet Barrio Boys are gone. Sin Banderas is the only duo surviving this style internationally, and since their last CD they have dissappeared.

It takes a certain style to move to the top. You take Alexander Pires, the black Brazilian. This guy has as much style as the best white pop singers and has at different times become the leader of spanish pop. Negros is light years away from people like Pires. They just don't have it to crossover to international acclaim. Besides, it is chic to be black and Brazilian, but the typical Dominican look is not an international asset.
TW
TW

You can't expect them to accomplish what Barrio Boys or other groups have accomplished because they just came out and everyone had a beginning where they were not yet known widely even though they had good music. How can we change the stigma that you have to be good looking to succeed in the music bussiness, if you already put them in the failure highway due to their looks. and what is wrong about coming from un barrio, isn't that what we all admire alguien que viene del fondo? Get real!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
The group is great and they have great talent. However, I agree, they may not make it because is so hard and you need a miracle to make it out here.

I did hear their song on 105.9FM the other day - I was so happy! I've had their CD since it came out last year.

ELin3pi2!

May 26, 2004
Negros earned their casandras

Golo100 said:

TW

It bothers me when someone is doing something good, and worthy and yet there is always someone, who for unclear reasons instead of helping, criticizes. Negros won their casandras solely because of their talent. Wasca is a good writer, and all the singers interpret their songs very well. How many good artist don't make it to the billboard charts yet Most people know they are good? If you are going to bring omebody down do it with facts and not opinions.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I saw them on Sabado de Corporan

Thanks to this thread this group caught my attention. Por casualidad.... I saw them on Sabado de Corporan over the weekend and my opinion is that they are good but I am not sure if they have anything marketable. Let's face it many groups sing balladas and because of the competition their music has to be stellar. I thought that the songs they sang were just okay but just okay won't help them make it big. I agree with what was mentioned in one the posts, a major record company has to pick them up...para que su musica salga de la RD (es decir a nivel internacional). Si no, no van pa' ningun lado. That's my opinion however, I only saw them once but first impressions should always leave an impact and they did not at least not on me.

Last edited:

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Saw Negros on Saturday at the United Palace, they were great, I was surprised to see how many people knew their songs, singing live they are exceptionally good!
Good look Negros on your next projects!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
ELin3pi2! said:
It bothers me when someone is doing something good, and worthy and yet there is always someone, who for unclear reasons instead of helping, criticizes. Negros won their casandras solely because of their talent. Wasca is a good writer, and all the singers interpret their songs very well. How many good artist don't make it to the billboard charts yet Most people know they are good? If you are going to bring omebody down do it with facts and not opinions.

Elin, this so true, then again there are many opinions here that are only based on personal tastes.

Lesly, where do you see Sabado de Corporan?

Mariposa, I've never been to the United Palace because I heard it gets pretty roudy, is this true? How was the concert (as far as oganization and crowds) I dont like Alboroto in public... thanks!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
ive seen them preform at hemmingways a few times and have their cd, not bad ... but aventuras where its at !

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Talldrink said:
Elin, this so true, then again there are many opinions here that are only based on personal tastes.

Mariposa, I've never been to the United Palace because I heard it gets pretty roudy, is this true? How was the concert (as far as oganization and crowds) I dont like Alboroto in public... thanks!

Talldrink, the concert was great, not roudy at all. It was supposed to start at 8:30, and it started at 9:00 which I thought was pretty good for a Dominican concert. This was my second time at the UP and both times have been very organized and fun, I will definetely go again.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Talldrink,

I watch it every Saturday at home. I have a Satellite dish (Dishnetwork- dish latino package). It's great. I even see news from the DR "en vivo" everyday.

Check it out!

Talldrink said:

herlakitty

Jul 8, 2004
I agree. I am a sixty-one year old african american. I recently heard the album and was very, very impressed . I have many Dominican friends, most are younger than me, I met them in restaurants and bars and at work, my wife and I love your culture and Dominican people. We enjoy the food and love the music. Los Negros is a very talented group who is starting to penetrate other markets, I am an example. We should all support them and not try to tear them down because they are young, new, out of the Barrio and may not look as handsome as some woud like. I am talking about talent. Viva Los Negros.
Porthos said:
I know nothing about promoting and marketing a group and neither know wheteher these guys are on billboard and that stuff, but boy, they are cool. About the fact they are ugly, as Erickxson said, don't think that stopped guys like james brown, P. Diddy, Boyz II Men, and here, people like Johnny Ventura and To?o Rosario (el cuco). As a matter of fact, they are supposed to be a good representation of the average dominican man, and I don't have a problem with that. (BTW, Erickxson, are you gay? why do you mind their looks?).
IMO, I think they can do an outstanding job representing our country, and they'll most likely have success, unless money/team work/envy get in their way.

Last edited: