Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default A Professional Dominicana as First Lady

    From DR1 today:

    Ana Mitila Lora writes in today’s Listin Diario on the background of the First Lady-elect Margarita Cedeno. She comments that it will be the first time the Dominican Republic has a professional first lady. With a doctorate in law, Cedeno was the deputy legal advisor to President Leonel Fernandez during his first administration. She was also part of the board of the Dominican Telecommunications Institute from 1996-2000. Among her interests is her work on programs such as one called “From the Streets to Life,” which strives to reduce the number of street children in Santo Domingo. Cedeno is a co-founder of the Fundacion Global Democracia y Desarrollo, the Fernandez think tank and research center, and has worked closely alongside her now-husband Leonel Fernandez. She is the mother of two adolescents and has a baby girl with President-elect Fernandez. Lora describes her as “a woman of today.”
    --------------------------------------------------------

    IMO this is a wonderful thing. Inspiring really. I hope this has tremendous impact on the country. She will serve as a true role model to all young ladies. It would be great if she can also serve an active role in government. This is by far better than First Lady's in the past that can only claim to be "esposa de..." A woman worth her weight in gold.

    D

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    It would be great if she can also serve an active role in government. This is by far better than First Lady's in the past that can only claim to be "esposa de..." A woman worth her weight in gold.

    D
    Who elected her? Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton was so vilified? She had an active role in the Gov and that ****ed of people, me included, because she held no official office. She had no accountability!
    Mrs. Fernandez's job is to run charities and host parties and to keep her mouth shut!

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thanks sharing

    your enlightened opinion! But isn't Hillary Clinton doing really great now?! I think so. Hillary was the only one that even cared to speak with Dominicans and come to Dominican communities to ask for our vote. Can we say the same for Rick Lazi-who?

    As for H. Clinton's involvement and performance in the White House...it's a matter of opinion. She was vilified because she knew how to answer back...it's beautiful having an intelligent self-made woman in co-command. It's a nice twist to what women are forced to do in DR to make it to the "top." No pun intended.

    Thanks again for your contribution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C
    Who elected her? Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton was so vilified? She had an active role in the Gov and that ****ed of people, me included, because she held no official office. She had no accountability!
    Mrs. Fernandez's job is to run charities and host parties and to keep her mouth shut!

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    your enlightened opinion! But isn't Hillary Clinton doing really great now?! I think so. Hillary was the only one that even cared to speak with Dominicans and come to Dominican communities to ask for our vote. Can we say the same for Rick Lazi-who?

    As for H. Clinton's involvement and performance in the White House...it's a matter of opinion. She was vilified because she knew how to answer back...it's beautiful having an intelligent self-made woman in co-command. It's a nice twist to what women are forced to do in DR to make it to the "top." No pun intended.

    Thanks again for your contribution.
    Luckily I don't Live in NY. Hillary is the senator form Ny only because Rudy had to drop out do to illness.
    How can You calim she was Self Made? What did she accomplish up until her Senate Campaign? She got a job in a law firm because her Husband was Governor. She was 1st Lady because her Husband was President! Isn't it funny how Liberal femminist always point to her when everything she has done is because of her Husband? I wonder how you would feel if laura Bush was in charge of major policy decisions? At least she had a Career!
    Was Hillary on the Ballot in those elections when Bill was running for President? Did I have a chance to Vote against her?
    Her main agenda in the White House was her Great "Health Care Plan". Wasn't that a great Sucess?
    The Spouse of a Head of State(Male or Female) Has no right to meddle in Major Politcal Decisions. Nobody elected them and they are accountable to nobody.

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am NOT a femanist & I certainly often object to some of the things that women DEMAND under the guise of equal rights (more in the way that they demand rather than whether they are justified or not), but I see a TREMENDOUS advantage with a thinking & professional woman standing alongside her husband who is at the helm of a country!!

    Being at the 'TOP' one can lose track of reality & the basics, women tend to keep their heads fairly better screwed on than men! By being a thinking & professional woman, the First-lady elect will be able to give sane council to her husband when he is President & possibly avoid some of the glaring mistakes previous Presidents have made. I RARELY make important decisions without involving "She who must be obeyed". She gives a reasoned argument for or against my plans & then I either change my plans or intensify my decision making by building in additional safeguards. I may not AGREE with her thoughts, but they DO stimulate me into considering my decisions much more closely!

    If this First-Lady can prevent her husband from making just two foolish errors of judgement, then she will have saved the country Millions of Pesos. I am confident that she will do a darn sight more than that though. SHE thinks, which is a LOT more than the last president did!! - Grahame.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Oh Tony!

    You really believe what you say don't you? But in fact it is the other way around. Bill Clinton was able to accomplish all he did BECAUSE of Hillary. Never forget she ALWAYS made more money than Bill. This is not DR. You do not get to be partner of a law firm on looks. Her credentials are impeccable. Don't insult Hillary's qualification by suggesting that Laura Bush is just as qualified. All Laura Bush can do for you is to get you a reference book. Nancy Regan could get you a brujo and tell you to "just say no." On the "Health Care Plan" her ideas did not fail. In fact the Republicans just finished passing a prescription plan that had many aspects (although now distorded) of her very proposal. The plan fell due to politics and special interests.

    Who's the liberal feminist here? That's the typical comeback to being called a "chauvenistic pig," and that language has never been used in my previous posts so please do refrain from using such myopic and limiting labels.

    Sorry Rudy was in for a hard fight had he ran. But so what? She put on a hard campaign and won in part because Dominicans supported her. The fact that Leonel married an intelligent woman is indicative (to me) that he is a secure, confident, and capable man. I don't think very highly of a man who marries a stupid woman because she can roll in the sack and can cook you a meal. I find such a man insecure in his masculinity, afraid of being challenged by an intimate equal.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C
    Luckily I don't Live in NY. Hillary is the senator form Ny only because Rudy had to drop out do to illness.
    How can You calim she was Self Made? What did she accomplish up until her Senate Campaign? She got a job in a law firm because her Husband was Governor. She was 1st Lady because her Husband was President! Isn't it funny how Liberal femminist always point to her when everything she has done is because of her Husband? I wonder how you would feel if laura Bush was in charge of major policy decisions? At least she had a Career!
    Was Hillary on the Ballot in those elections when Bill was running for President? Did I have a chance to Vote against her?
    Her main agenda in the White House was her Great "Health Care Plan". Wasn't that a great Sucess?
    The Spouse of a Head of State(Male or Female) Has no right to meddle in Major Politcal Decisions. Nobody elected them and they are accountable to nobody.
    Last edited by deelt; 05-25-2004 at 09:57 AM.

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just because the first lady-elect was the deputy legal advisor to Leonel during his first administration, does not mean that she will be offer a role in government this time around.. Given the condition the DR is in, it is my opinion she will stay in the background and let her husband deal with the issues. It is excellent that she is a professional and as mentioned before she will be a role model to all the young ladies in the DR, but I think that's as far as it will go. Leonel is going to have to play hard-ball, I don't think he will want his wife involved in that mess. Then again, he may need all the support and brainpower he can muster to get his head above water.

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    You really believe what you say don't you? But in fact it is the other way around. Bill Clinton was able to accomplish all he did BECAUSE of Hillary..
    And what did he accomplish because of Hillary?
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    Never forget she ALWAYS made more money than Bill..
    Thats because Bill Never had a real job in his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    This is not DR. You do not get to be partner of a law firm on looks..
    No. You can a job in Arkansas if your husband is Governor though.
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    Her credentials are impeccable..
    Ask her about a some property in Arkansas.
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    Don't insult Hillary's qualification by suggesting that Laura Bush is just as qualified..
    Laura Bush is better qualified. As a teacher she could give more insight into education. What did Hillary do beside be a part of a crooked land deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    All Laura Bush can do for you is to get you a reference book. .
    Going to Bash Teachers now are we? So you think a mediocre Real Estate attorney is better than an educator of our Children?
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    On the "Health Care Plan" her ideas did not fail. In fact the Republicans just finished passing a prescription plan that had many aspects (although now distorded) of her very proposal. The plan fell due to politics and special interests..
    The plan fell through because nobody wanted socialized medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    Who's the liberal feminist here?.
    You are.
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    That's the typical comeback to being called a "chauvenistic pig," and that language has never been used in my previous posts so please do refrain from using such myopic and limiting labels..
    Are you going to deny that you are a feminist or a liberal? I might disagree with you but to call me a Pig is just showing your true colors! I can name you many women who I feel are qualified to hold major office. But Hillary is not one of them
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    Sorry Rudy was in for a hard fight had he ran. But so what? She put on a hard campaign and won in part because Dominicans supported her..
    The Same Dominicans who voted for such great Statesman as Salvador Jorge BLanco, Hippolito Mejia and Leonel Fernandez!
    Quote Originally Posted by deelt
    The fact that Leonel married an intelligent woman is indicative (to me) that he is a secure, confident, and capable man. I don't think very highly of a man who marries a stupid woman because she can roll in the sack and can cook you a meal. I find such a man insecure in his masculinity, afraid of being challenged by an intimate equal.
    Take the male bashing to the Venus and Mars fourm.
    In spite of your rantings I will get back to the main subject. While Mrs. Fernandez might be a fine Lady and a great role model I do not believe she should be a major part of the D.R.'s Goverment. She has no accountability. Unlike a Cabinet member or Dept Head if she messes up or is corrupt the president can disassociate her quickly and cleanly. Just like Bill did.

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What's with all this Hillary bashing?

    What's with all this Hillary bashing? She was also the best-educated and most prepared First Lady in the history of the USA, just as Mrs. Fernandez will be in the case of the DR. She is a United States Senator, in her own right, and is a great example and inspiration to other females in the U.S. and around the world. We hope Mrs. Fernandez will do the same in the DR.

    By the way, Bill Clinton was one of the best presidents in the history of the U.S., personal weaknesses aside, and I am sure he is missed by many Americans since during his mandate the U.S. enjoyed great economic success, something which was discontinued as soon as the current President took over.

    Finally, the Clintons have visited the DR on several occasions, something which has made Dominicans appreciate them even more.

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Well, you know how it goes....

    [QUOTE=frank alvarez]What's with all this Hillary bashing? She was also the best-educated and most prepared First Lady in the history of the USA, just as Mrs. Fernandez will be in the case of the DR. She is a United States Senator, in her own right, and is a great example and inspiration to other females in the U.S. and around the world. We hope Mrs. Fernandez will do the same in the DR.


    Smart women don't have it easy. But that's neither here nor there. The fact that the first lady elect is a professional can only be a plus to the new administration. Nuff said.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •