Santiago inexpensive accomodations

santiagotrav

May 24, 2004
Does any expat here know of any inexpensive accomodations for a single person staying 1 month in SANTIAGO DR?

Any furnished apartments or aparthotels??

Please let me know addresses, web sites, phone numbers, etc.

I APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
None that come to mind

Nobody will rent an apartment for a month.

There might be a couple of families taht did not get students from the different exchange programs at the PUCMM.

Call the PUCMM,(809) 590 1962, ask for Estudiantes Extranjeros, and ask if they have any families that want a young person for a month.

If you are not a young person than I suggest looking into Pensiones when you get here. There are plenty of them is different parts of town.

there is the Hotel Colonial at about $12-14 a night. Might be a good place to start.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with HB that Hotel Colonial is a good option. Good value, and maybe you can get an even better price if staying for a month.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Where is Hotel Colonial? And at such a low rate ($12-14USD/night), I'm guessing it's very spartan. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption.

I usually stay at Hotel Aloha Sol on Calle de Sol for RD$1600/night. I like the quality set-up and secure feeling there. Plus, they all know me there now, so no problems with anything. I do not need very cush lodging, just comfortable and a convenient location.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hotel Colonial is located at Salvador Cucurullo Nos. 113 & 115 in the city. There are two buildings, "old" and "new". Rooms the same, but we usually pay a few pesos more to stay in the newer building. Very good value. Rooms are not large, but beds are comfortable, there is a bathroom with shower (hot water) and cable tv. Easy walk to Plaza Lama and other stores of Calle Sol. My wife and I have stayed there several times and recommend it to people. We think it is very good value. The owner and his son lived in the US for many years,then came back to run this hotel. Nice, friendly people. There is a small restaurant. Domincian food, but tasty and good price. RD$1600 is more than I want to pay for a hotel when I can get a value like that offered by Hotel Colonial.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ken said:
Hotel Colonial is located at Salvador Cucurullo Nos. 113 & 115 in the city. There are two buildings, "old" and "new". Rooms the same, but we usually pay a few pesos more to stay in the newer building. Very good value. Rooms are not large, but beds are comfortable, there is a bathroom with shower (hot water) and cable tv. Easy walk to Plaza Lama and other stores of Calle Sol. My wife and I have stayed there several times and recommend it to people. We think it is very good value. The owner and his son lived in the US for many years,then came back to run this hotel. Nice, friendly people. There is a small restaurant. Domincian food, but tasty and good price. RD$1600 is more than I want to pay for a hotel when I can get a value like that offered by Hotel Colonial.

Thanks Ken. I will probably use them when I return in July, as I too value a buck. I do not mind paying the RD$1600, but I'm all about a better deal. Got a few more questions. Hope you do not mind.

As I'm not familiar with the street names in Santiago, other than Calle de Sol, so in relation to going with the traffic flow on Calle de Sol, at the corner of Calle de Sol with the McDonalds and the 24 hour bank across the street (major intersection for that area), where is Hotel Colonial located?

Do they require reservations? Do you have a number for them? I cannot find much info on this hotel on the internet, other than an address.

santiagotrav

May 24, 2004
Do the Aloha, Hotel Colonial, and Camp David ranch have safes? room safes??
Very valuable info, thanks!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
santiagotrav said:
Do the Aloha, Hotel Colonial, and Camp David ranch have safes? room safes??
Very valuable info, thanks!

You can ask for a room with a safe in the Aloha Sol. I don't believe I paid anything extra for it.

I will say, I never felt myself or my valuables were in any danger staying at the Hotel Aloha Sol without a safe.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, meant to post phone number in previous response. Tel 247-3122 and fax 582-0811. It is a popular hotel because of price so would recommend a reservation.

When we are there, we sometimes eat at McDonald. As I recall, we then walked down to the corner of Sol where the Scotia Bank is, turned right, walked three or four blocks, and the hotel was on the corner.

Don't know about safes. We never felt valuables in any danger so didn't inquire.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Safes

"don V?ctor" the owner of Colonial has a safe in his office that will allow you to keep the Hope Diamond and the 1932 Double Eagle in a secure location...Just ask at the desk when you check in.

The location of the Colonial is convenient, and there are publicos just a couple of blocks away that can take you to most places. And taxis are less than $2,00 to just about any place in the city.

HB

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
MY two cents

I've stayed at both hotels and don't have a complaint about either hotel. But Aloha Sol is a nicer looking place and breakfeast is included with the room rate. But if you are tight on cash, Colonial is acceptiable. Just don't expect the same room you might get at Aloha Sol.

The food at Colonial is real good. And the price is fare for what you get. And if I remeber correctly, it is about a 5 minute walk to the MCdonalds from the hotel Colonial. I guess every hotel has it's plus and minuses.

You also might want to check some of the Cabanas on the outskirts of Santiago, you might be able to get some good rates at Cabanas Pal Mar. My brother stayed there the other night and paid $5 US for 8 hours. And these rooms are real nice. I'm sure you might be able to get something in the 15-20 range if you stay there for a longer period of time.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
santanatwins said:
I've stayed at both hotels and don't have a complaint about either hotel. But Aloha Sol is a nicer looking place and breakfeast is included with the room rate. But if you are tight on cash, Colonial is acceptiable. Just don't expect the same room you might get at Aloha Sol.

The food at Colonial is real good. And the price is fare for what you get. And if I remeber correctly, it is about a 5 minute walk to the MCdonalds from the hotel Colonial. I guess every hotel has it's plus and minuses.

You also might want to check some of the Cabanas on the outskirts of Santiago, you might be able to get some good rates at Cabanas Pal Mar. My brother stayed there the other night and paid $5 US for 8 hours. And these rooms are real nice. I'm sure you might be able to get something in the 15-20 range if you stay there for a longer period of time.

Aight, need a suggestion. Money's not tight, but trying to get the best bang (per se) for my buck.

Here's the situation: I arrive late (approx. 1:00 a.m.), will probably drop my bags and head back out for a few drinks, and return later (hopefully not alone) and catch some sleep.

My hesitance in reserving at the Aloha Sol is that I won't be there long enough to warrant dropping RD$1600 pesos on lodging in the RD. Therefore, other cheaper options with decent quality sleeping arrangements (cabanas, Hotel Colonial) look better for my 1st nite there.

In the morning, I will move over to Aloha Sol and utilize that as my base of operations for the day/nite.

Questions:
- Which option would be best for a short-time stay with relative proximity (10 mins) to Calle de Sol in Santiago, cabanas or Hotel Colonial?
- Is there a/c in Hotel Colonial?
- Which decent cabanas fit the proximity that I am looking for? Not trying to be way out by the airport, to save $10, then have to pay it back in cabfare.

I'd appreciate the help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want to be close to Calle Sol, then stay at the Colonial. Some rooms have AC and others don't. We have never felt we needed it.

If you stay at Colonial, you can walk to Calle Sol. The cabanas are on the outskirts and will require taking a taxi wherever you go.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
above advise is on point if.......

If I can assume for a moment that when you mean you will be going out to a club for a beer you mean Passions or Illusions or Casa Blanca? If this is correct, then you might be better off staying at a cabana for the night since they are located near these clubs. When you take into account the cab fare of about 200 pesos each way to Colonial, that would come out to about 600-800 pesos total cab fare for the night. Assuming three trips. I think you might be better off staying at Pal Mar for $5 US for about 8 hours and then catching a cab to Aloha Sol in the morning. And you will probably save around 30 minutes in total travel time, time which can be better spent drinking beers in the company of a beautiful companion. But that's just my opinion.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Should be calling Santanatwins, the Blastmasters!!! :devious:

I only said going for a beer. Beautiful company can be found everywhere in Santiago. I probably only have 1.5 - 2 hrs to work with for my beer run. :ninja:

Is there any regular nightlife (Plan A) going on Thurs. nites? How are the Ambi One, Boomerangs, Centro Plaza crowds?

That being said, one of those spots you refer to may be my later stop, if plan A bears no fruit, or the beer isn't cold enough.

In relation to your spots (which I have visited in the past), where's Pal Mar? And how does it compare to the Helios cabana? I know Passions is on the opposite side of the city from the other two.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Pal Mar location

Pal Mar is located on a side street off the main road from the highway. It's about two minutes away from all the other Cabanas on the main road.

The rooms are nice and since they are off the main road they charge lower rates than the rest. Compared to the Helios or Horas, which is probably the nicest locale, it's on par with them. The rooms are big, king size beds, a/c, 24 hour security, 24 hr food, and nice bathrooms. Some of the rooms even have the sex chair, for those in the know...LOL.

I think I've stayed at all the Cabanas in the area and all are nice and fit the purpose for which they are built, short time stay in nice rooms.

BlastMaster.....LOL.....too kind of you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is just one problem with the caba?as

You can't leave anything there!.

So Colonial it will be. You are:
1) a 10 minute walk (or less) from Francifol a very IN spot for nice folks. Out the door, turn right. At the corner, turn left. Go to the second stop light, turn right. Its in the block after the park, in front of the Centro de la Cultura. Ask for Emilio.
2)Tribeca: a RD$80 (or RD$70) taxi ride.
3)Baha or is it BAJA??
4) POPS in back of Supermercado nacional.

And Boomerang is still there...as is the chopo hangout Ambis ...

All depends on what class of people you are looking to hang with..

HB

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks fellas for the input.

Haven't done the cabana route yet, but open to trying it one time. Not sure about it this trip.

HB - which of the places you listed would you recommend for a late Thurs nite brew, nice company, nice location?

Only been to Ambi One, twice. Boomerangs once. Never had a problem with anyone there, and I usually travel solo. Felt like I was one of the very few gringos in the spot. Love that feeling. If the dudes there were chopos, they were cool with me. The ladies knew I was "different," at the least, which brought more attention to me from others.

Glad to learn of any other decent spots as well. I'd rather do these types of spots, than have to resort to plan B.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Which cabanas are located near the airport?

I am hearing of different cabanas in Santiago, but which ones are located close to the airport? I would rather ask my taxi driver to take me to a specific place than any old place.

Thanks

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have stayed at the Colonial 3 times. If you are familiar with the Pensiones on calle danae in gazcue santo domingo, the colonial is a bit below them in quality, but a great value for the buck. I was there about 10 days ago and paid about 350 pesos for a room with no AC. Never needed it. A room with AC was 400 pesos and change so no big deal. They have an internet calling center next door, and the owners son rafael speaks english.

To get to McDonalds make a left on 30 de marzo and walk I believe 4 corners. It is the corner where the park is Calle De Sol. Make a left and walk about 3 blocks to Micky Dees. . . . .BTW. . .why do the McDonald's in STI have chocolate shakes while in SDQ they don't. . . . ?

One night colonial had no rooms and neither did the next 2 0r 3 places on the same block. Wound up at hotel dorado. . . . .a nothc or two below colonial but 200 pesos per night.. . .that is insane. Of course my first night there nobody answered the door at 1:00 am when I was knocking and I had to pay for a taxi to a cabana and stay the night in a cabana. . . . . .plus teh ATM we went to on the way ripped me off 2,000 pesos. . . .not a great night. . . .LOL.

On a thursday night I might actually check out Monte Bar as I think ladies may be free on thursday. Many bars in STI seem dead on weeknights but if ladies get in free. . . . .

Heck I have tried going to Andy Ranch twice. Once was a wed night in december. . . .and they were closed. . . .OK. . . .weeknight. . .but in february I went on a saturday night and they were closed again. . . .settled for Rancho Merengue!