Floods Kill 43 in the DR

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Tropical wave major tragedy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3744277.stm

BBC is reporting that the death toll flooding of the Silie River on the border with Haiti is over 40. This morning the National Emergency Commission had confirmed six deaths in Jimani.

It was humid, windy and cloudy in Santo Domingo, but dry. Rains are expected to continue tonight and tomorrow.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
is this weather unusual?

Will be in country on Wednesday,and can't do a dang thing about the weather, but is this unusual? Seems to be more than just the usual tropical rain activity (ie rains ,clears,gets humid,rains again,clears etc). The forecasts do not look promising either,no matter where I look. Grrrr. :angry:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is unusual weather. The explanation is La Ni?a is filling in for El Ni?o. See http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

Check out http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/la-nina-story.html to understand more about the El Ni?o-La Ni?a phenomenon and how it affects weather in the Caribbean.

Last year was also an unusual year in the Atlantic Basin region (includes the Caribbean) with 16 tropical storms, which was 67% more than the historic average for the Caribbean, according to tormenta.net web site.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
links

Thanks for the links. Pero, Tormenta was as it's name implies en Inglais...couldn't follow that one. I'm hoping this rain will clear, although ,thinking back to past sunny trips, I pretty much had to stay under the rooflines of the bars/restaurants I was at because the SUN was too dang hot.Que sera...sera. ;)

Dolores said:
This is unusual weather. The explanation is La Ni?a is filling in for El Ni?o. See http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

Check out http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/la-nina-story.html to understand more about the El Ni?o-La Ni?a phenomenon and how it affects weather in the Caribbean.

Last year was also an unusual year in the Atlantic Basin region (includes the Caribbean) with 16 tropical storms, which was 67% more than the historic average for the Caribbean, according to tormenta.net web site.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Many of the people killed by the flooding live in cardboard and sheet-metal shacks in the riverbeds which flood every year. The authorities try to keep them from setting up homes there, and they know that each and every year some will die, as far as warning they may as well have pitched a tent on a railroad track. I'm not saying they deserved to die by any means, only that no one is surprised there were deaths. There were deaths last year and there will be deaths next year.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
The people that live there know the risks and they don't like it at all.

But they feel like they cannot afford to live anywhere else.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
News reports today are that the deaths at this Jimani site were more than 100 persons as the Soleil River, coming over from Haiti, burrowed through an entire town at 2:30 am killing all the unaware people that lived in the impoverished community. There are both Haitian and Dominican dead persons, including adults and children. Local newspapers today have published very macabre photos of the water-bloated corpses.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Me parece muy triste

I think the number of deaths will increase as they continue to find more bodies. The latest estimated count was 100. How tragic, these people had no chance since it happened during the early morning hours. From the images I have seen the homes that these people lived in were not very sturdy thus I can imagine easily overcome and brought down by the flooding. Why does life have to be so difficult as if to say these people weren't living from day to day with very little as is? Hopefully the government will provide monetary relief and aid...but the government is bankrupt itself so most likely there will be no aid for these victims of a natural disaster.

Me parece sumamente triste. Qu? pesar.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
what I understand

I heard on the radio today that the houses..I can't remember the exact numbers..but something like 30 concrete houses built by Baglier and about 35 wooden ones. Each has about 7 to 8 people living in them. They are all gone. They said that maybe 1 person from each house lived. This is the estimates I heard on the radio today. And I'm sure the government here isn't reporting all the deaths just like they underreported the earthquakes.

Some of the pics I've seen have bodies piled up. I can't imagine. Poor or not poor, they are humans with famlies and people that loved them. It is just heartbreaking.

It is so bad that it is being reported on American local news. My heart goes out to these people.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Now the death toll is more like 500. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3746619.stm

People are paying dearly for the deforestation of the river area. There were no trees to contain the mudslide.

Major relief efforts are underway in Santo Domingo. Participacion Ciudadana is taking a lead gathering canned food and clothing for the victims. Tel. 809 685-6200.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I have been tuning in directly to the DR via canal sur via cadena de noticas. Thank God for satellite TV. It's nice to get the news right from Jimani. It has been a very tragic scene. Those who survived are talking to journalists but really not saying anything concrete because of their grief. They have no where to turn. Humanitarian aid is necessary. I heard that the Washington Heights community (in NY) the largest DR community outside of the DR has rounded up food, clothes etc. which to me shows great effort and collaboration.

Jan said:
I heard on the radio today that the houses..I can't remember the exact numbers..but something like 30 concrete houses built by Baglier and about 35 wooden ones. Each has about 7 to 8 people living in them. They are all gone. They said that maybe 1 person from each house lived. This is the estimates I heard on the radio today. And I'm sure the government here isn't reporting all the deaths just like they underreported the earthquakes.

Some of the pics I've seen have bodies piled up. I can't imagine. Poor or not poor, they are humans with famlies and people that loved them. It is just heartbreaking.

It is so bad that it is being reported on American local news. My heart goes out to these people.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Lesley D said:
I have been tuning in directly to the DR via canal sur via cadena de noticas. Thank God for satellite TV. It's nice to get the news right from Jimani. It has been a very tragic scene. Those who survived are talking to journalists but really not saying anything concrete because of their grief. They have no where to turn. Humanitarian aid is necessary. I heard that the Washington Heights community (in NY) the largest DR community outside of the DR has rounded up food, clothes etc. which to me shows great effort and collaboration.

Major International wires are now reporting over 500 dead