Montellano

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
I did a search about Montellano on this board. To my surprise I found a lot of negative comments about that town. It was described as unsafe etc. We have spent a lot of time in Montellano with our friends who live there and have never found any reason to feel unsafe in that town. We (me & my husband) are coming to D.R. in September and asked a friend in Montellano if he could recommend some good and cheap hotel in Sosua. He asked me, why stay in Sosua and not in Montellano, you are more safe in Montellano. Many people in Montellano know you and they know that you are friends with me and you are protected.

We have known this friend for several years and know that he is reliable. He is a very good friend to us and we are in touch with each other almost every week.

Please, could somebody tell me thruth about Montellano, is it a dangerous place or not.

Thanks for you help.

Chareena

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I have a friend here in England, he is from Montellano. He has never said anything negative about the place. All his family live there and they are happy.

I can't speak from first hand experience but i have not heard of any problems.........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chareena said:
Please, could somebody tell me thruth about Montellano, is it a dangerous place or not.
Chareena

Never heard anybody say that Montellano was a dangerous place.
We have 3 employees who live there and I never heard a word to that effect.
Somebody must be pulling your leg.
Marco.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Chareena said:
I did a search about Montellano on this board. To my surprise I found a lot of negative comments about that town. It was described as unsafe etc. We have spent a lot of time in Montellano with our friends who live there and have never found any reason to feel unsafe in that town. We (me & my husband) are coming to D.R. in September and asked a friend in Montellano if he could recommend some good and cheap hotel in Sosua. He asked me, why stay in Sosua and not in Montellano, you are more safe in Montellano. Many people in Montellano know you and they know that you are friends with me and you are protected.

We have known this friend for several years and know that he is reliable. He is a very good friend to us and we are in touch with each other almost every week.

Thanks for you help.

Chareena

I have personally spent a lot of time in Montellano and have never found it to be unsafe. I find that most of the comments on this board about Montellano being an unsafe place, come from people who have probably never even visited! It is not a tourist town by any means (very little English is spoken) and is somewhat run down but the people are fantastic and very friendly. On my visits I was usually one of the only, if not the only, tourist there. I have walked around there in the middle of the night (as a woman) and always felt safe (however I did have people looking out for me and would not recommend someone walk around a town they don't know in the middle of the night). I do not know of any type of accomodations for tourists in Montellano and unless I was staying at a your friend's house, I would recommend staying in Sosua. Also, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do in Montellano other than drive down the main street and drink at the many Colmandos. There are also only a few restaurants and they only serve local Dominican food (which I like but not everyone does), but they are very cheap. There is a new disco there "Las Brisas de Palma", but it's really only fun on the weekends when it's full and when some of the tourists from nearby resorts come to check it out too.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Thanks tired_boy, Rocky and Fiesta Mama for your replies. I'm glad to see that you share my opinion of that town. I'm looking forward to possibly stay there a couple of weeks in September. It could be an interesting experience.

I know that there is not much to do in Montellano. We plan to just spend time with our friends there and rent a car to move around with.

Btw, Las Brisas del Camu can be fun also in the weekdays even though there are not many people. You can have fun with the staff.

Chareena

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chareena, if you had enjoyed your stay in montellano and feel comfortable socializing with those people and felt safe, then montellano is the place for you. Why listen to anyone when you have been there several times yourself?
Some facts about montellano: its one of the poorest towns of DR. Most people were (maybe still are) sugarcane cutters, factory workers. Now a good number of poeple work in resort hotels all over sosua, playa dorada and even in airport facilities. Most people make about 100 dollars / month. Montellano is also the birthplace for alot of hookers who roam sosua/ cabarete area. Many sankies are living in monthellano. There isn't a thing there that makes people be proud of their home town.
Now if you feel thats the place for you then go for it and have fun in your vacation.
AZB

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
AZB said:
Montellano is also the birthplace for alot of hookers who roam sosua/ cabarete area. Many sankies are living in monthellano. There isn't a thing there that makes people be proud of their home town.
Now if you feel thats the place for you then go for it and have fun in your vacation.
AZB

I am sure you aren't suggesting that Montellano is over-run with hookers and sankies.
If the prostitutes are out roaming Sosua and Cabarete then you are saying that Montellano is ok then.
A persons friends and family can make them proud of where they live and if Chareena has friends there why not stay there with them, hire a car and get around the island from Montellano as a base?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
What's in a name?

I have a question about the town of Montellano. I have seen it spelled two ways - Montellano (as one word) and as Monte Llano. Which is right? I have seen billboards, restaurants, businesses, etc. with one or the other and I always wondered why it was not consistent?