Importing motorized bikes--is there a market?

elainehuf

May 8, 2004
I have a friend from China who is importing these motorized bikes into the US. We are just inquiring about the marketability for the DR. My daughter and son-in-law live in Santo Domingo, so I have somewhat of a connection and have lived more recently in Santiago myself. Now I live in South Carolina and need information on this. If bikes are not needed, wanted, or too hard to import, what would be a good item--say--something from China. Also, I had heard something about import taxes from the US being lifted in January. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Elaine: There are a gazillion motor scooters (motorbikes) in The DR. Are you referring to a bicycle that's got a motor in it? Post a picture if you have one, of what you're trying to sell and we can opine as to the viability of such business.

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Agree with Suarezn

If it's some cool bike with a motor on it, maybe kids from middle-high classes will be a target for the product. Mainly those too young to have their own four-wheel (which is a mayor hit between teenagers of high classes). If the thing is like a low cost substitute for other type of motorcycles, then the perspectives are a lot better, as long as it is good quality. I live in Santo Domingo and am looking for an opportunity like this (even thought it should be more profitable to export from DR) to do business here. I have a lot of ideas, but this sounds doable. For further info send me a PM.