Payless Car Rental...

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Has anyone ever rented from them in Santo Domingo? If so were they any good? They are giving me the best price for my 9 day visit in June.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
payless

personally I never rented from them but they have a really good reputation.

DomAm

May 11, 2002
I always rent from Payless.....

Most often they have the lowest rates when I travel to DR (avg 4 times a year). Keep in mind they do not have a kiosk inside the airport but will meet you as you exit the terminal bldg with a sign with your last name. Maybe that's why they are cheaper!

They will then drive you to their office/parking lot (about 5 minutes away) to do the paperwork. They do not insist on insurance coverage if you have a gold or platinum CC.

They also have an office in Santo Domingo. Never had a problem with them or their vehicles. I rented from them last month for 2 weeks (2002 4 dr with cd player for US$220.00/wk) and stayed 5 weeks! Only after 30 days did they call me to inquire when would I be returning the car!

Remember to give yourself a little more time when returning the car back because you will have to stop by their office. They will then drive you to the terminal. BTW, there's a Texaco gas station just a bit further ahead towards the airport where you can gas up before returning the car.

They used to have a fleet of mostly Mazda's but now have diversified.
Man, did I love those Mazda 323's zipping through the autopista from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
But if they insist on insurance coverage, then they're not cheaper. My Amex covers the basics. In the past I have rented from Budget, Avis and Alamo. All had me sign the waiver that said my Amex card covered me. Only Budget charged a $5 per day fee.

What type of fees does Payless charge?

DomAm

May 11, 2002
Nada

NY1 said:
But if they insist on insurance coverage, then they're not cheaper. My Amex covers the basics. In the past I have rented from Budget, Avis and Alamo. All had me sign the waiver that said my Amex card covered me. Only Budget charged a $5 per day fee.

What type of fees does Payless charge?

None! ..and no need to sign a waiver at Payless.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Dom Am, you said that they do not insist on insurance coverage if you have a Gold or Platinum CC, I have neither. I just have the 'ole reliable green Amex, do you knwo if any of those fees are mandatory in that case?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I have rented from mostly all of the companies there. The rates change depending on the days you go. It is best if you look online and compare and also call the 800 numbers to get an accurate quote.

I always use Amex so that I dont have to pay for insurance.

DomAm

May 11, 2002
NY1 said:
Dom Am, you said that they do not insist on insurance coverage if you have a Gold or Platinum CC, I have neither. I just have the 'ole reliable green Amex, do you knwo if any of those fees are mandatory in that case?

Unfortunately yes, Payless will insist on the ins cov surcharge but they may still be cheaper than the other car rentals.

BTW, I normally go to the Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia websites to compare prices then I go to the individual website of the lowest car rental and book it directly.

Some U.S. banks offer "gold" checking or savings accounts and give out debit VISA or MC gold cards. You may get away with this option although I've never used my debit gold VISA card.

Nasra

Feb 1, 2004
Hello:

Recently was in Puerto Plata....and I got a car rented for $230.00us
all included taxes and insurance.....

I got it from SAVINGS RENT CAR right a the Airport in Puerto plata....as you come out from customs...just make a right turn is just right there....just mention my name MAXIMO from CANADA....they take care of you....thanks.....