Americans in the Dominican

americano 1

May 22, 2004
I am from Dekalb,IL. usa and are considering retirement in the dr. I am searching for americans to talk with concerning property issues,etc. Thank you in advance.

Paul

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, no problem, unless there is some rule against this in the development that I don't know about. But on the north coast it is not uncommon to buy land and build later.

There are a lot of Americans living on the North Coast; some full time, like I am, and others using their home as a vacation home until they retire. There are also Americans living in Casa Linda.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Some places and possibly Casa Linda will either make you build with them or build withing a short period of time. This is just one of the things you need to research when you are there looking.

If you are looking on the North Coast I would be happy to take you around and show you the areas that I like. I am in NY till the 17th of June but would be happy to show you around anytime after that. My cell number is 223-1178. I have purchased many lots on the North Coast and have no experience anywhere else on the Island so wouldnt be able to help you other than the N. Coast.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just one more thing

I am surprised that these guys didn't take you to task. Please learn this:
The country's name is the Dominican Republic,NEVER just the Dominican. Okey?

It is also correct to call it the DR, Quisqueya or "mi pa?s" .

It is like calling the US, the United.

Now, there are tons of places to look into for your retirement. It all depends on your interests, your bank account and your sense of adventure. So, take Scott up on his offer and look around the North Shore, and then look around some more. The DR is about 1/3 the size of IL but it has high mountains, semi-arid deserts and tropical rain forests. Incredible variety that you have to see.

Good Luck, and Remember: Dominican Republic...

HB

J

jakemarble

Hillbilly said:
I am surprised that these guys didn't take you to task. Please learn this:
The country's name is the Dominican Republic,NEVER just the Dominican. Okey?
Are you from the DR? I lived there for a while and met many Dominicans who referred to their country in terms like "aqui en dominicana".

Jake

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hey Americano 1!

americano 1 said:
I am from Dekalb,IL. usa and are considering retirement in the dr. I am searching for americans to talk with concerning property issues,etc. Thank you in advance.

Paul

I live just down the road from you in IL. I'm near LaSalle-Peru, and went to NIU in Dekalb. (I can still feel that winter wind). I have been to the DR 3 times and will be going back this fall. I'm also thinking about living there after retirement either full or part time.

There has been a lot of discussion in these forums on buying property. I suggest you do some searches of the archives to get some background knowledge, and then post any questions you still need answered. I will be happy to share any information I have with you. So far I have just looked into seasonal rentals for 3 to 4 months, but may be interested in buying. You can PM or email me, but others who live in the DR or who are real estate gurus can be a great help. Escott knows the North Coast so listen to him. Good luck.

Bob H.

ESCRIPTOR

May 26, 2004
espanol.geocities.com
dr

jakemarble said:
Are you from the DR? I lived there for a while and met many Dominicans who referred to their country in terms like "aqui en dominicana".

Jake

It's ok to say "aqu? en dominicana" in Spanish (there's even a very old merengue that uses that expression, but if you use it too much it sounds a little weird), but in English the country is not called the Dominican. It doesn't translate that way. It's D.R., the whole name.