Cellphones

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
Good morning everyone!

Can someone please tell me what kind of cellphones work in DR? I recently sent a beautiful little cellphone to my Girl in Santo Domingo, and she tried to have it connected, however, she was told it cannot work in DR. Can someone tell me what kind I should send.

Thank you for your help

Pat

Last edited:

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
re: cellphones

pdimanche said:
Good morning everyone!

Can someone please tell me what kind of cellphones work in DR? I recently sent a beautiful little cellphone to my Girl in Santo Domingo, and she tried to have it connected, however, she was told it cannot work in DR. Can someone tell me what kind I should send.

Thank you for your help

Pat
I'm not sure what type of cell phone you sent or where your from but me being from new york I buy cellphones from tmobile. not all cellphones work overthere because they have a chip that prevents you from activated it with any other service that isn't there own. when you go to buy a cellphone don't go to the company. do go to a cellphone electronics store that sells different kinds from different subcribersin that one store. ex: att, verizon, sprint, tmobile. be specific in asking for a cellphone that can be activated and used in dr. there is no sale prices for these phones since your not acivating there.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are 4 different mobile phone companies here, all use slightly different technology and I think between the 4 of them they pretty much cover all the bases. Tell your GF to try a different company if one told her it couldn't be done.

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
N&D said:
I'm not sure what type of cell phone you sent or where your from but me being from new york I buy cellphones from tmobile. not all cellphones work overthere because they have a chip that prevents you from activated it with any other service that isn't there own. when you go to buy a cellphone don't go to the company. do go to a cellphone electronics store that sells different kinds from different subcribersin that one store. ex: att, verizon, sprint, tmobile. be specific in asking for a cellphone that can be activated and used in dr. there is no sale prices for these phones since your not acivating there.

Thank you N&D

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
MrMike said:
There are 4 different mobile phone companies here, all use slightly different technology and I think between the 4 of them they pretty much cover all the bases. Tell your GF to try a different company if one told her it couldn't be done.

Thank you very much MRMIKE

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
If it was a GSM phone, the phones that accepts the service chip (SIM card), she probably needs to go to a wireless store in RD and have the phone unlocked.

Unlocking the phone is basically removing the AT&T Wireless, Cingular, or Verizon security code which restricts you from using your phone on other services. When you buy a phone in RD, chances are this is what was done. Once unlocked, the phone can be used anywhere that the phone's bands are accepted. RD's on the 1900mhz band. USA is 1800.

Orange does this for about $15USD in Sosua, at most. Depending on the phone model, it can be done on premises, if they have the right codes on hand. Or it may take a day or two, since it must be sent to Santiago. I'm assuming it's easier in SD.

Depending on where she is, she may be able to have it back the same day. In Santiago, in the office/shopping park across from the Caribe Tours bus station (not sure of the name, but it's the 2nd Santiago stop if you're coming from SD), there's an Orange office there that would do it in one day. I was quoted RD$350 just to unlock it. Drop it off in the morning, get it back within 4-6 hours.

Hope this helps.

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
toneloc24 said:
If it was a GSM phone, the phones that accepts the service chip (SIM card), she probably needs to go to a wireless store in RD and have the phone unlocked.

Unlocking the phone is basically removing the AT&T Wireless, Cingular, or Verizon security code which restricts you from using your phone on other services. When you buy a phone in RD, chances are this is what was done. Once unlocked, the phone can be used anywhere that the phone's bands are accepted. RD's on the 1900mhz band. USA is 1800.

Orange does this for about $15USD in Sosua, at most. Depending on the phone model, it can be done on premises, if they have the right codes on hand. Or it may take a day or two, since it must be sent to Santiago. I'm assuming it's easier in SD.

Depending on where she is, she may be able to have it back the same day. In Santiago, in the office/shopping park across from the Caribe Tours bus station (not sure of the name, but it's the 2nd Santiago stop if you're coming from SD), there's an Orange office there that would do it in one day. I was quoted RD$350 just to unlock it. Drop it off in the morning, get it back within 4-6 hours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot TONELOC,

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
How Do I activate Tmobile GSM/SIM card phone

I have a TMOBILE sidekick phone here in the states that I would like to activate in Santo Domingo/Boca Chica for a week when I arrive with pre-paid phone card minutes. Is this possible to do and if so does anyone know a price and how I would obtain calling cards for my GSM/SIM Card Tmobile sidekick phone? Thank You! :ermm:

toneloc24 said:

Hope this helps.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
R.Dennis said:
I have a TMOBILE sidekick phone here in the states that I would like to activate in Santo Domingo/Boca Chica for a week when I arrive with pre-paid phone card minutes. Is this possible to do and if so does anyone know a price and how I would obtain calling cards for my GSM/SIM Card Tmobile sidekick phone? Thank You! :ermm:

I see the Tmobile logo on a lot of the Orange phones here, (France Telecom) they should be able to activate it for you (of course you know you won't be able to keep your number)

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Go to Orange in Santo Domingo. Ask your cab driver or hotel reception for the nearest location.

I'm not familiar with the T-Mobile phone set-up. But if you have a SIM card here in the US, and if your phone is locked, see my previous message.

An Orange SIM card costs about RD$350, I believe. You buy the calling cards in various increments. I believe the highest is RD$275, but it has 300 minutes/credits or so. The lowest is either RD$50 or RD$100. Calls are cheap as hell there.

If you speak/read Spanish, check out the Orange website:

www.orange.com.do

I only know this because I just went through this process last month. Hope it helps.

Porthos

May 13, 2004
All about Cellphones in DR

Ok, maybe the title was a little presumptuous, but here are my 2 cents:
Here we have two technologies on mobile comunication: PCS and GSM. I think that PCS is the most widely used in US of A and that GSM is more used in europe and asia. Anyway, the companies that provide the PCS service are Verizon, Tricom and Centennial, while GSM service can only be obtained from Orange Dominicana (which used to be a subsidiary of the now bankrupted France Telecom). As someone correctly said here, GSM is the one that works with a chip or SIM. This cell phones can only be activated without any problems at a GSM service provider, like Orange. The PCS phones have to be activated at one of the companies stated above, but none will do it if the phone is reported as stolen (there's a resolution by the INDOTEL forbiding this). A new mobile shouldn't represent any problem, but a used or second hand one can have security problems (password problems, or PIN problems). The activation of either type of mobile can be done directly at the companies offices or at dealers or "xpress points" depending on the company.

All the companies here have pre-paid plans, each one with it's own pros and cons which I'm not going to state here.

The Orange cards costs RD$60, 100, and 275. The minute should go from RD$4.00 to near RD$7.00

Last edited:

p2020

May 28, 2004
All About Telecom in the DR

There is a site DRTelecom with lots of current info on mobile pricing plans, including both postpaid and prepaid plans. There is a tool there, Planes M?viles, allowing you to compare price per minute of each plan and also listing some of the benefits of each service provider.

I hope that helps some of you when making a purchasing or switching decision.

Porthos said:
Ok, maybe the title was a little presumptuous, but here are my 2 cents:
Here we have two technologies on mobile comunication: PCS and GSM. I think that PCS is the most widely used in US of A and that GSM is more used in europe and asia. Anyway, the companies that provide the PCS service are Verizon, Tricom and Centennial, while GSM service can only be obtained from Orange Dominicana (which used to be a subsidiary of the now bankrupted France Telecom). As someone correctly said here, GSM is the one that works with a chip or SIM. This cell phones can only be activated without any problems at a GSM service provider, like Orange. The PCS phones have to be activated at one of the companies stated above, but none will do it if the phone is reported as stolen (there's a resolution by the INDOTEL forbiding this). A new mobile shouldn't represent any problem, but a used or second hand one can have security problems (password problems, or PIN problems). The activation of either type of mobile can be done directly at the companies offices or at dealers or "xpress points" depending on the company.

All the companies here have pre-paid plans, each one with it's own pros and cons which I'm not going to state here.

The Orange cards costs RD$60, 100, and 275. The minute should go from RD$4.00 to near RD$7.00

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
He is right!

toneloc24 said:

Hope this helps.

This is the only answer. I know because once I had my GSM phone unlocked and purchased a Orange SIM card I have never had a problem. I can now use my phone almost anywhere in the world by simply purchasing a local SIM card.

I still do not understand why the cell carriers lock the phones to their own network. I paid $15 for the unlock.

Charlie

p2020

May 28, 2004
The reason why the carriers lock the phones is simple. To protect their investment in subscriber acquisition. If you had to purchase a phone for its real price, rather than its subsidized price, you would think very hard before buying it.

The carriers heavily subsidize the phones with the hopes of recouping their investment with the service revenues. That is also the reason why they want to lock you in with a one year contract. However, sometimes even the carriers forget why they are doing it, because I recently activated a phone with Verizon, which I did not buy from them and they forced me to agree to a one year contract, the same with Orange.

It is also a lot easier to unlock a phone in the Dominican Republic, and cheaper, than in the US where carriers often don't do it for you.

chuckuindy said:
This is the only answer. I know because once I had my GSM phone unlocked and purchased a Orange SIM card I have never had a problem. I can now use my phone almost anywhere in the world by simply purchasing a local SIM card.

I still do not understand why the cell carriers lock the phones to their own network. I paid $15 for the unlock.

Charlie