Question about houses

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
Ive been to la Republica 4 times y mi novia es de republica dominicana (santiago).. while en la isla i seen many casas made of wood with concrete floors, you know the type, the 'typical' dominican house brightly painted etc..

my question is, how much can one of these humble casa's be bought for, in the north cost near Sosua, Puerto Plata, El Choco, La Catallina, Arroya Blanco, etc in that general region.. also it would be best to get a lawyer to make such a purchase final right, as i understand many people have deeds for houses in the deceased grandparents names which can cause problems.. any advice would be great as im going for my 5th trip on june 6th and would really like to get ahold of una casa like ive described.. mucho gracias!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I'm no real estate guy, but you must realise that a good amount of the cost of the house is the lot that it's on, regardles of what's built there, and that varies wildly depending on the area. Even parts of Susua in walking distance of each other will vary as much as maybe 500%

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are right that it would be desirable to have a lawyer check the title of any house you are interested in. This is more for your protection than your novia's. Dominicans have been buying and selling these houses for many years with few if any problems, but if a foreigner is involved, the chances of problems increases substantially.

Yes, titles are often in the name of a long dead relative if there was no incentive to bring it up to date. Even though the house is for your novia, the fact that a foreigner is interested in her means that relatives of the seller are likely to call on you demanding their share. Using a lawyer can help you avoid problems like this. Just make sure you get one who is honest and competent.

If you want to be in the Sosua area, for example, then look in Charamicos or Sosua Abajo. By that I mean look in the primarily Dominican areas rather than in the tourist areas.

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
si, I didnt want to buy a place in a tourist area and Puerto Plata y Sosua are from what I hear just that. So, being that mi novia is staying here in NYC when I visit the area on June 6th donde should I look for such a casa, its not like I can just walk around looking for a northwest realty sign lol.. is there a legitimate person / agency that would be best to seek out, although this seems like it may be over kill for the sort of house Im looking for (''typical'' dominican house, wood walls, concrete floor, etc).. any lawyers in this Area that are efficient and not very expensive?

Contact info for these would be much appriciated..

Peace!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oye this!

SunRa said:
Ive been to la Republica 4 times y mi novia es de republica dominicana (santiago).. while en la isla i seen many casas made of wood with concrete floors, you know the type, the 'typical' dominican house brightly painted etc..

my question is, how much can one of these humble casa's be bought for, in the north cost near Sosua, Puerto Plata, El Choco, La Catallina, Arroya Blanco, etc in that general region.. also it would be best to get a lawyer to make such a purchase final right, as i understand many people have deeds for houses in the deceased grandparents names which can cause problems.. any advice would be great as im going for my 5th trip on june 6th and would really like to get ahold of una casa like ive described.. mucho gracias!
Muchas of esas houses tu la can comprar for muy little dinero. Y, no, those casas are no "typical" casa dominican. Si are muchas like asi but solo in barrios que are un poco poor. Those humilde houses no son too caras, I imagino. Yes, es mucho better if tu busca a abogado so that manera el can help a ti and that manera you to tendras no kind of problemas. Ten mucho careful porque almost todos los lawyer son unos thiefs. Mucha luck y que all go bien con you.

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
Entiendo y mucho gracias amigo. Yo quiero un rico casa pero no tengo mucho dinero.. So para ahora Ill take what I can afford..

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Depends!

SunRa said:
http://www.villa-castellamonte.com/photos/standard/villa_campo02.jpg is the sort of house im talking about, maybee un poco menos buena, but so you get the general idea.. No se how they arent typical as Ive seen more of this type of home than any, but I am by no means an expert..
It all depends where you want to live. If you can just afford a home like that, by all means, go ahead and buy it. Many barrios/campos homes are like that all depends where you want to live and afford. You go to the capital (SD) and an apartment could run you from 500,000 to millions (again if you can afford it) and a home in Arroyo Hondo or El Millon can go for millions and millions. If you ever want to buy a good house, I would sell you mine in SD for 3,000,000.

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
3,000,000 pesos? thats around 66,000 US no? Thats way above what I can afford now, thus why Im looking for a humble abode.. Just a simple one like the one pictured, from how cheap Ive seen some land $40/terea I cant see how a house like that could add much more value to a piece of land..

Pero let me ask again, what would be the best route for finding a house for sale like the one I pictured.. who to talk to? Seems that real estate agents only deal with more 'high class' properties..

As Ive mentioned Im aiming for the north coast, but dont have to be on the beach, inland is fine as long as Im within distance of POP or STI .. muchas gracias for the help!

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Diantre!

40 $/tarea? Where, in Jimani? Not even there, I guess?

3000000 pesos is not much for a good casa in SD

Barnab?

DomAm

May 11, 2002
Good one for The Clown Bin!

miguel said:
Muchas of esas houses tu la can comprar for muy little dinero. Y, no, those casas are no "typical" casa dominican. Si are muchas like asi but solo in barrios que are un poco poor. Those humilde houses no son too caras, I imagino. Yes, es mucho better if tu busca a abogado so that manera el can help a ti and that manera you to tendras no kind of problemas. Ten mucho careful porque almost todos los lawyer son unos thiefs. Mucha luck y que all go bien con you.

Funniest Spanglish I've heard (read) in a long time. I am still laughing hahahehe

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
Barnabe said:
Diantre!

40 $/tarea? Where, in Jimani? Not even there, I guess?

3000000 pesos is not much for a good casa in SD

Barnab?

near bavaro .. and i meant 40$ US not 40 pesos

Last edited:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
SunRa said:
I meant US$ also, SunRa.

If you can find land at this price (ie 3 RD$/m2)in the Bavaro area, with property title, you should maybe consider seriously this investment opportunity.

Barnab?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Companero!!!

DomAm said:
Funniest Spanglish I've heard (read) in a long time. I am still laughing hahahehe
If it made you laugh, great. I would do almost anything in my power to make people laugh a little. Life is a bundle of laughs, one just need to look for it since it's everywhere. That said, I was also trying to prove a point.

I hope that he finds that house that he is looking for. Whatever makes him happy.

Last edited:

DomAm

May 11, 2002
SunRa,

You are right about deeds sometimes being under the name of deceased grandparents especially for houses such as this one. I hope you can find one you like within your budget and I commend you for forsaking modern amenities.

The house reminds me of the one my grandfather built 70-80? years ago in the campo (San Cristobal province). Unfortunately, it was sold by my uncle many years ago but it is still standing - used as a weekend retreat!

As you know, reputable RE agencies would not list this type of house because of the low price (commission) unless the land is worth much more. Your best bet is to have your girlfriend do the scouting (neighborhood gossip or word-of-mouth).

Good luck!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
SunRa said:
Now una cotton picken momento you all... This is how we blah blah Slanglesh in the South of the US. He es a mountain hombre...

I would love to buy un poco solares para 40$ US, possible cien solares para me. Can ya pointo me in the Righto direction por favor?

Escott,
Your Dominican Sword

SunRa

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 30, 2003
DomAm said:
SunRa,

...I hope you can find one you like within your budget and I commend you for forsaking modern amenities...

Your best bet is to have your girlfriend do the scouting (neighborhood gossip or word-of-mouth).

Good luck!

Gracias amigo.. and yes i think i will have to ask around, as i dont have many other options..

y si, mi espanol es no perfecto.. not by a long shot.. i grew up in a spanglish speaking household.. so i am what i am and thats all that i am :D