hippo on bbc

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
was watching the bbc news tonight where they have good coverage of the flood. they had footage of hippo flying in by helicopter and walking around. he had this smug look on his face...he had a mask on although nobody else had one on and he was even seen chuckling to one of his pals in one of the shots! unbelievable!

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
a surgical mask

Yes I saw that here in the DR too wearing a surgical mask due to the odors of rotting bodies, I guess.

It took Hippo over 72 hours to show his face in the place. What was he so busy doing that prevented him from going to the scene of one of the worst natural disasters in the history of this country? A 30 min. helicopter flight away from Santo Domingo!

Once more, another sign of his and his government's lack of sensitivity, responsibility and most of all, basic human decency.

Too bad we still have to put up with him until August 16th and then beyond in the opposition doing all he can to complicate President Fernandez's government and doing even more damage to the people and the country in the process. They don't care!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Can't say his attitude surprised me much... what I'd like to know is how he plans to build houses for all the victims with less than 3 months left? That's one of the problems down here, until something doesn't explode, nothing is done. Sad but true.

BTW, if anyone wants to help out, Freddy Beras Goico is receiving donations to build houses down there. Last night he had over 1 million accumulated. I'd much rather give him my money than Hippo!!

T

TiberiusMineola

Donations from Resident Expatriates?? Where? To Whom?

I think that there are many foreign residents, many generous, who were & are touched by the magnitude & horror of the recent flooding tradedies. Many are probably DR1 visitors, many regular & avid. Where can such concerned non-citizens make donations which will actually reach those in need, ie not the Dominican government in any form? Existing charities? Newly founded funds or charities? Thank you.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
TiberiusMineola said:
I think that there are many foreign residents, many generous, who were & are touched by the magnitude & horror of the recent flooding tradedies. Many are probably DR1 visitors, many regular & avid. Where can such concerned non-citizens make donations which will actually reach those in need, ie not the Dominican government in any form? Existing charities? Newly founded funds or charities? Thank you.

see dr1 news from today, friday may 28th. several are listed.