Canadians can help Flood victims

Relief Campaign for Flood Victims ? how Canadians can help

I am sure you have all heard about the devastating floods in the southwestern area of the Dominican Republic near the Haitian border, in Jimani. (no tourist areas were affected). There is an urgent need of donations to help the people in this area. Hundreds of people have died and thousands have been left homeless by this tragedy.

Donations needed include:

Non Perishable Food (Rice, Beans, Powder Milk, Canned Food, Oil) / Summer Clothing / Personal hygiene products / Medicines / Blankets / Sheets / Towels / Shoes / Tents / Baby food / Flashlights / Buckets / Construction materials and Tools / Plastic containers / Disinfectants / Gas stoves / Electric generators / Water purifiers / Mosquito repellents /

Drop off location for donations in Ontario:

DeBoer?s Furniture
275 Drumlin Circle
Concord, Ontario
L4K 3E4
Mark your donations for ?Relief?

An account for cash donations has been opened as well. You can make cheques payable to ?Dominican Republic Disaster Relief Fund? and/or deposit directly at any Scotiabank branch. Account Number is: 44776 0014613

This campaign is organized by Dominican Republic Services in Toronto, Smiles Foundation, Ramon Hernandez and family, Perfect Destinations, Elina Katsman and Felix Jimenez.

If you have any questions, please contact Dominican Republic Services (Former Dominican Republic Consulate) at (416) 739-1237 or Smiles Foundation at (416) 663-0445.

info coutesy of Debbie's Dominican travel Forums

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thousands dead in Haiti

Hlywud said:

I am sure you have all heard about the devastating floods in the southwestern area of the Dominican Republic near the Haitian border, in Jimani. (no tourist areas were affected). There is an urgent need of donations to help the people in this area. Hundreds of people have died and thousands have been left homeless by this tragedy.

Are the relief efforts aimed at helping the Haitians too?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hlywud said:

Donations needed include:

Non Perishable Food (Rice, Beans, Powder Milk, Canned Food, Oil) / Summer Clothing / Personal hygiene products / Medicines / Blankets / Sheets / Towels / Shoes / Tents / Baby food / Flashlights / Buckets / Construction materials and Tools / Plastic containers / Disinfectants / Gas stoves / Electric generators / Water purifiers / Mosquito repellents /

Drop off location for donations in Ontario:

DeBoer?s Furniture
275 Drumlin Circle
Concord, Ontario
L4K 3E4
Mark your donations for ?Relief?

An account for cash donations has been opened as well. You can make cheques payable to ?Dominican Republic Disaster Relief Fund? and/or deposit directly at any Scotiabank branch. Account Number is: 44776 0014613

This campaign is organized by Dominican Republic Services in Toronto, Smiles Foundation, Ramon Hernandez and family, Perfect Destinations, Elina Katsman and Felix Jimenez.

If you have any questions, please contact Dominican Republic Services (Former Dominican Republic Consulate) at (416) 739-1237 or Smiles Foundation at (416) 663-0445.

info coutesy of Debbie's Dominican travel Forums

That's great Hlywud, thanks for posting this I read a post about the flood and heard about it on the news and I was wondering how I could help out from Canada!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Oxfam Canada have an Emergency Appeal. Please call 1-800 GO Oxfam (1-800-466-9326).

Chiri

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Please help both

Chirimoya said:
Oxfam Canada have an Emergency Appeal. Please call 1-800 GO Oxfam (1-800-466-9326).

Chiri
Guns seem to cross the border so easily.
From today's Toronto Star:
JIMANI, Dominican Republic?This rambling Caribbean town is practically overflowing with international assistance following a devastating flood last week, while disaster victims across the border in Haiti are still desperate for aid.

"I am criticizing the absence of the international community from Haiti," Jimani's parish priest said in an emotional exchange following a deeply moving outdoor mass celebrated yesterday morning in Jimani's central plaza.

"Here, we are getting help. So far, no aid has reached Haiti," said Father Jose Ramon de la Cruz.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gabriela, as far as I understand the area in Haiti is very difficult to access. Aid workers on the Haitian side are having to hitch rides on UN/military helicopters to reach the affected area, and I hear they are having to test the roads for access by 4WD vehicle, in some cases even using mules! Jimani is a four or five hour drive from SD but the roads are mostly OK. Apparently the state of the roads between Port au Prince and the disaster zone on the Haitian side is far worse. However, the peacekeeping forces, the UN and international agencies active in Haiti like Oxfam and CRS are already working to help the survivors.

Chiri

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
What a tragedy

Thanks for the information, Chiri. I just wanted people to know, from a Dominican source, that the DR is getting all the help it needs. For that reason it is important to donate to Oxfam, so it can get some help to Haiti too.