Newbie- Just booked first time to DR

pink

May 26, 2004
Hi guys, Ive just booked to go to the Dr at the end of august with my partner and wanted to do research straight away, and this seemed like the best place to ask. Im nervous, and excited at the same time. I feel cut in half, as i really want to venture out of the complex, but feel i dont have the confidence to do so. Was hoping to make some friends on here who would guide us in the right direction to make our holiday worth while. :classic: .

Dec 9, 2002
If you and your partner aren't confident enough to venture out alone, make friends with one of the barstaff (one of the girls if you are so nervous) and ask them to take you out. You will have to pay for taxis, drinks, etc. but you will be safe.

You don't say where in DR you will be, if it's north coast - Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete - there are lots of DR1ers who live around there, I'm sure one or two of them will come out of the woodwork for you!

But just relax, and enjoy.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Once you are the you will be FINE. A lot of people who have never been have misconceptions (not you..........maybe people who find out you are going), so this can make 'first-timers' nervous.

Like DB said - if you get to know some of the Dominicans in your hotel then someone will be able to show you life outside........and you will love it.

There's nothing to worry about, and i want to be the first to tell you about Presidente - its v. nice!

presidente_bottlesm.jpg

pink

May 26, 2004
thanks guys

Yes you are right, now that people are finding out that im going they put there spin on things but my mum has been 4 times so i KNOW that it is not as bad as people are making out. Oh and before you ask, no i cant ask my mother as too many questions will be asked about how i can afford it lol. (credit card :) she doesnt know! shhhh!). I am going to the north, one of three places wil not know until i get there. Either sosua, or playa dorada. I did get the feeling that most members are in the north. Thank you for the tip on the beer most appreciative :D

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Sorry about the picture of a botle top with 'Brians belly' written on it, when i put that picture on yesterday it was of a bottle of Presidente, its now changed for some weird reason.

Anyway, enjoy yourself!

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Whether you wind up in Sosua or Playa Dorada, there is lots to see and do outside of the resort environment. Just excercise your common sense (don't stumble around drunk at any time, don't flash large amounts of jewellery and/or cash) and you should be fine.

The nice thing about the Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete area is that everything is within easy travel distance. Each area has it's own charms and a taste of each is well worth it.

Relax, go with the flow, and you will have a great time.

Rose

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Great Adventure

If you go to the Playa Dorada area, please make an effort to assist Fundacion Patria. You can find much more information about this project in this forum. You may have to go to page 2 or 3 to read about FP. If you have the desire to help the Dominican school children, you can work with FP. It's a very reputable organization dedicated to a very worthwhile cause.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

pink

May 26, 2004
quick question

Having booked for a week end of august, all inclusive what is the best way to take money? dollars only or half local and half dollars. And only for going a week i was thinking of only taking about ?150 do you think that would be enough? advice really appreciated! :knockedou

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pink said:
Having booked for a week end of august, all inclusive what is the best way to take money? dollars only or half local and half dollars. And only for going a week i was thinking of only taking about ?150 do you think that would be enough? advice really appreciated! :knockedou

Do not buy any Dominican pesos in advance - you will get a horrendous rate and it is so easy to buy them in the town or the airport it is unneccessary. Also don't bring pounds Stg. , bring US$. Even buying US$ in the UK will not be as bad as pre-buying pesos or bringing Stg. to a cambio. What you spend is up to you - Stg.150 is about RD$12,500. Since you are not paying for food and drinks then almost RD$2000 a day ought to do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bring dollars or Euros.

When you get wherever you will be going, look around for a sign that says "CAMBIO" and ask how much is the rate. Then find another one and ask again. Take the highest rate. don't change more than $50 a day.

Unless you are really going "out on the town" and plan to pay for everything yourself.

enjoy the trip...behave yourselves...no drugs, not even weed, even if they are offered by your new "friends". Booze is fine...

Bring sun block and bug repellant, some long jeans for the evenings and nights out and some socks.

HB :D

londoner

Jun 21, 2004
???

Pink said:
was thinking of only taking about ?150 do you think that would be enough?

I Must be taking way too much money! Me and my partner are going for 2 weeks and are take a total of ?1200 spending money (US $2100 approx).

We are all inclusive, but want to do a few of the trips... dolphin's, fishing ..etc.

Pink's asking if she's taking enough - am I taking too much????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Other people can give you a more accurate

Pricing, but most trips are about $50 each and the all day excursions are about $80, last time I heard.
There is a technique on how to book trips. You might want to start a thread and just ask "What is the best way to book day trips?" and see what answers you get.

Of course we'd love for you to spend all that money here. Great for the local economy.

HB

pink

May 26, 2004
ok (excuse me im just not that bright) RD? ?150 is about $271. Excusions will be put on c.card. Partner is bringing the same. Can i change dollars into pesos in the hotel if need be. Not really planning on leaving the complex unless we get to know locals. Ocean world is the only trip planned.

shyking

Jul 1, 2004
Hi Pink & Others,

The same situation here. I will be there on 21st with family.
We land at Santo Domingo and then have to go to the north
coast. Wondered if folks can provide some guidance on
taxi services, where to exchange money (US or DR), what
to pack? mosquitos? medicines or anything to considered for kids.