diseases in DR

dr5555

May 28, 2004
I think about moving to DR for some time, but I am a little bit scared of the risk to get diseases. My questions:

1) Does Leishmaniasis occur all over the country or only in specific areas? Which areas?

2) Should I use a cream against mosquitoes all the time?

3) I read that it is important to be careful with the sanitation of meals and drinks. I probably won't cook myself and eat in Restaurants and Bars every day. How do I know whether a Restaurant is careful with the sanitation?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Try This Link

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm

I haven't known anyone to have been infected with the peril you mention, but the CDC does mention it, though I think it is not a huge risk if you live in a developed town.

You can tell a reasonably clean restaurant when you see it. In tourist areas a lot if not all of them are owned by non-Dominicans and thus tend to have pretty good standards, and other than ensuring you don't drink tap water, and always eat fully cooked food, there is not much risk.

Make sure you have your vaccinations especially Hep A and B. Polio, Diptheria and I'd suggest the new oral Cholera/ E Coli vaccine "Dukoral" for limiting a lot of food borne risks.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No mention

The sky is not falling, I have not heard mention of this disease in the D.R. A quick internet check on the history of the disease, Leishmaniasis; indicates it is parisite transmitted by sand flies that causes a severe skin rash. It supposed to affect 90% of tropical countries.

Do not worry, if you take the protective precautions needed for mosquitos, which is advisable in the D.R, you should be protected from other insect transmitted maladys.

Regards,
PJT