What are you reading?

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Anyone reading any interested books? Let me know what you have been reading lately!

I just finished reading "The Nanny's diaries" very entertaining and funny book.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
mariposa said:
Anyone reading any interested books? Let me know what you have been reading lately!

I read that two months ago I agree it was so funny. Have you read any of the Shopaholic books? They are funny as well besides I'm one of those shopaholics so I realted to the book quite a bit lol.
My favourite books to read are by Mary Higgins Clark if you like reading mystery books. I've read every single book she's written and I just started reading her most recent. I can't put the book down I read her books in three days it's crazy lol.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Mariposa,

What type of books do you like to read? And do you read mostly in English or Spanish? One of my favourites hobbies is reading but I 'll have to admit I have not read an English novel or book of anykind for about 8 years so if you want to know of some really interesting "libros en espa?ol" please let me know. I tend to like novels by Cuban authors. They tell the hard cold truth especially "Pedro Juan Gutierrez". The material I read about the DR are mostly social and historical content. But in general "leer es educarse" so I read anything if it's interesting.

mariposa said:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Music said:
I read that two months ago I agree it was so funny. Have you read any of the Shopaholic books? They are funny as well besides I'm one of those shopaholics so I realted to the book quite a bit lol.
My favourite books to read are by Mary Higgins Clark if you like reading mystery books. I've read every single book she's written and I just started reading her most recent. I can't put the book down I read her books in three days it's crazy lol.

I LOVE the Shopaholic books. Her and I are uncannily alike, it's like reading a book written by myself.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I seriously have done many things she talks about in her books...it's like she knows me. Maybe it really is about me...maybe I should be getting a cut off revenues...hmmmnnn...

Right now, I'm reading a book that has about 2000 pages...the material for the Canadian Association of Petroleum Production Accountants course Level 2. And OH.WHAT.FUN.IT.IS...

mariposa

May 19, 2004
anything

I love reading anything that catches my eye Lesley and that keeps me interested either in Spanish or English. I loved reading "En el tiempo de las Mariposas" by Julia Alvarez, I read the English and Spanish versions, I have to say I liked the Spanish better, ya sabes uno se puede expresar mas!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I agree, el espa?ol es m?s fluido, m?s expresivo.

I recommend:

Ensayo sobre la ceguera- Jose Saramago
Trilogia sucia de la Habana- Pedro Juan Gutierrez
El Rey de la Habana-Pedro Juan Gutierrez
La noche de la jinetera- Jordi Sierra ***(una hermosa historia realmente lo recomiendo).

I highly recommend these books, enough for now.

mariposa said:
I love reading anything that catches my eye Lesley and that keeps me interested either in Spanish or English. I loved reading "En el tiempo de las Mariposas" by Julia Alvarez, I read the English and Spanish versions, I have to say I liked the Spanish better, ya sabes uno se puede expresar mas!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I have just finished a very good book by Clive Cussler entitled "The Sea Hunters,True Adventures With Famous Shipwrecks"; ISBN 0-684-83027-2, published by Simon & Schuster.
In each case he describes a scenario, complete with dialog which is both informative and entertaining.
If any of you get a chance to read it, I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Texas Bill

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Persian Nights by Diane Johnson (author of Le Divorce).

and

Jennifer Government by Max Barry (speculative fiction - very interesting!)

PS I loved The Nanny Diaries

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yes I am a reading freak/addict/whateva....in case you can't tell....

This week:
Reading now, "En el nombre de Salom?" by Julia Alvarez (in Spanish)

Past few weeks:
*Just finished "Da Vinci Code" (sooo goood) (in English)
* "Soledad" by Angie Cruz (a up and coming Dominican-American writer from Washington Height!!!! YEAH! Go girl!)
* Read an organizational theory book last week that was v. good. (for professional growth)

Last year this time (sound like an Alcohol Anonymous....person):
* Read "The Feast of the Goat" (Fiesta del Chivo) by Mario Varga Llosa v. good (read it in English, should read in spanish)

Want to read "Drown" by Junot Diaz...read it in Spanish but the flavor was lost in translation

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Deelt,

When you finish "En el nombre de Salome" please let me know what you think of the book. I read it last year and " no me llamo la atencion". So I just want to know if was me or if the book is truly lacking something. I read the Spanish version. I have not read too much of Julia Alvarez' work but of what I read thus far I enjoyed "YO".

deelt said:
Yes I am a reading freak/addict/whateva....in case you can't tell....

This week:
Reading now, "En el nombre de Salom?" by Julia Alvarez (in Spanish)

Past few weeks:
*Just finished "Da Vinci Code" (sooo goood) (in English)
* "Soledad" by Angie Cruz (a up and coming Dominican-American writer from Washington Height!!!! YEAH! Go girl!)
* Read an organizational theory book last week that was v. good. (for professional growth)

Last year this time (sound like an Alcohol Anonymous....person):
* Read "The Feast of the Goat" (Fiesta del Chivo) by Mario Varga Llosa v. good (read it in English, should read in spanish)

Want to read "Drown" by Junot Diaz...read it in Spanish but the flavor was lost in translation

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
One of my favorite books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. So moving, at times it made me cry! (There is a movie based on this book but definitely read the book first).

P.S. Does anyone know where you can buy those Spanish books in and around Toronto? Maybe I can order them on the internet?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Fiesta Mama,

In my beautiful Montreal:

1. Librairie las Americas- 10 St. Norbert Street (Rue Sherbrooke/ St-Laurent area). Wonderful selections of all types of literature in Spanish. Check to see if you can order from the web.

2. Librairie Michel Fortin- okay selection, reasonable prices. On St-Denis. Check out the website.

In Toronto:
1. Boli's bookstore- excellent selection, high prices. Wortwhile going and looking for yourself. Bloor/Bathurst area

2. The Spanish Center- small bookstore and selection with much more reasonable prices. Yonge/ Bloor (46 Hayden Street).

On-line:

1. Amazon.com/ Amazon.ca & Barnes & Noble- all reliable, reasonably priced and with the US exchange and shipping it's still cheaper than Boli's!

All are worth looking into.

Fiesta Mama said:
One of my favorite books is "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. So moving, at times it made me cry! (There is a movie based on this book but definitely read the book first).

P.S. Does anyone know where you can buy those Spanish books in and around Toronto? Maybe I can order them on the internet?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks Leslie! I have actually taken classes at The Spanish Centre so I am there often but the selection could better! I will check out all of your other suggestions. :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here it goes!!

To put some dominican flavor to this thread, before the moderator close it this is the book that I am reading and the ones that are on line:

1- Anecdotas y Crueldades de Trujillo. By Lipe Collado

soon to read
2- Trujillo: Causas de una tirania sin ejemplo. By Juan Bosch

3- Trujillo: Una satrapia en el Caribe. By Jose Almoina.