Taxi from SDQ to Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'll let somebody else answer the question re taxi cost, but thought I should mention that you have the option of taking a taxi to Caribe Tours bus terminal then taking the bus from there. Buses leave hourly from SD for Santiago until 7pm.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
spike00lee said:
How much would it cost to travel by taxi from SDQ airport to Santiago?

thanks

Spike
hi man

santo domingo to santiago is about 3 hour drive. it will probably cost you 125 us dollar. is better to take the bus that will cost you like 3 dollar. or rent a car and drive yourself, it?s only one highway. good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
By far the best idea is a cab to Santo Domingo

Which will be what we consider, expensive. Either the Metro or the Caribe Tours will bring you to Santiago for about $3.40 in a nice big and safe air conditioned bus.

HB

Last edited:

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Take the Bus

I recently took Caribe Tours from Santo Domingo to Sosua. Total cost RD$200 (pesos.........a little less than US$4.00)

The ride was very comfortable and easy!!!!

MCM

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Apollo Taxi just quoted me $2500 pesos, picking you up anywhere in Santiago and taking you anywhere in Santo Domingo. That is about $50 USD. Their phone # is 809-537-0000.

I can appreciate you question, because I don't do buses.

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
thanks for all the info everyone..

Yea.. I have been on the bus (transporte) from santiago to the capital and know its much cheaper. But, I wanted to see how much more expensive it is to use a taxi, to avoid the taxi to the station, station to the etc, etc.

Hillbilly. did you say your condering using that option or its the best option???

Is it $50 or $125.. big gap in the price..

Also, Will Apollo get me from Santo Domingo and bring me to Santiago for around the same price?

spike

ustelephone said:
Apollo Taxi just quoted me $2500 pesos, picking you up anywhere in Santiago and taking you anywhere in Santo Domingo. That is about $50 USD. Their phone # is 809-537-0000.

I can appreciate you question, because I don't do buses.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I've had to take a taxi from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata several times, which is almost twice the distance. I usually negotiate with a taxi driver for around US$100-125.

To Santiago which is about half the distance it should be around US$50-70, but thats just an educated guess.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Spike, unless you got bread to burn

Just take the taxi to the Metro Station or the Caribe Tour station in Santo Domingo. Neither is a big deal, and you should negotiate the fare. He says $100, you say $25. If he says 500 pesos, take it, 1000 pesos, take it..Ask in pesos..avoid dollars

I suggest this as the most inexpensive way, and possibly, the most convenient. I would not really trust one of those taxis to take the highway. The bus is much nicer than the back seat of a taxi..

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
US $50 for a taxi from Santiago to SDQ is correct. I have done it. The guy who said US$125 made it up.

Actually I would catch a taxi, rather than dealing with the bus. The taxi from SDQ to Caribe Tours will cost you about US $15, the bus another US $3, and then the taxi in Santiago another $2-$3. For $30 extra you can go in a taxi door to door which will save at least an hour of time and a lot of hassle with bags, etc.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Again, I spoke with Apollo Taxi. I use them every day here in Santo Domingo. They work on a tariff bases. They WILL pick you up ANYWHERE in Santiago. When you call for the pick up, ask for tariff again as it can change slightly based on gas prices and the exchange rate. Also ask for the unit number (unidad) of the taxi they are sending. The car will have a plate on the windshield that clearly says Apollo and the unit number. If the driver asks for a cent more than you were quoted on the phone, tell him to get on the radio and request the 'Tarifa'. Also, if you want A/C, tell the dispatcher. I just called them again; the rate with A/C is $2900 pesos. The dispatcher I just spoke with said for that type of fare/distance they will always send a newer vehicle. I have never had a problem with Apollo or their drivers. If you have the money, you will reduce your travel time from 3.5 hours minimum considering getting to and waiting for the bus, to about 1.8 hours door to door. I remember the trip on Metro that I took one time from Santiago to SD. I remember entering the city of Santo Domingo and thinking great, we're here! WRONG. That giant bus takes an hour just to maneuver around SD to get to the terminal. Plus, the taxi is yours, no foreign odors that you may not enjoy. Also, the taxi will stop if you need to use the rest room or need to buy something to eat or drink. I ALWAYS make the guy stop right near Bonao to buy Cerdo Asado (Roasted Pork) that they sell right on the side of the highway. If you like to coat your arteries like I do, you'll love it.

Which ever you choose, I hope you have a pleasant trip. Please feel free to send me a PM if I can be of any assistance.

Also, I always tip the driver if he's cool. 100 pesos is a fair tip for the ride you're taking. It is not mandatory, nor is it customary here, as the other board members have pointed out to me on many occasions. I do it because it makes me feel good!

If anyone knows a taxi company IN Santiago, perhaps you could find this guy a tarifa there. If he is flying in it will be very inconvenient for him to wait for a taxi coming from SD.