Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Someone has a virus

I have received a couple of emails stating that I sent an email to an address that is no longer available. I never sent any emails to the addresses in question. However, the email stated that the originating address was an ISP from codetel. There are certainly less than a dozen people in the DR who have this email address, and, with the exception of one or two, all of them are members of DR1. Apparently someone has my email in their address book, and that person's computer is sending off emails with my name as the sender. I deleted the messages both times without taking note of the exact ISP or the recipients email. It seems to me that one of them was [email protected]. The emails were sent with the subject: Important, which, to me, is a sign of a virus being sent. I didn't even look to see if an attachment was sent with it.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Virus

Quote Originally Posted by mainer
    I have received a couple of emails stating that I sent an email to an address that is no longer available. I never sent any emails to the addresses in question. However, the email stated that the originating address was an ISP from codetel. There are certainly less than a dozen people in the DR who have this email address, and, with the exception of one or two, all of them are members of DR1. Apparently someone has my email in their address book, and that person's computer is sending off emails with my name as the sender. I deleted the messages both times without taking note of the exact ISP or the recipients email. It seems to me that one of them was [email protected]. The emails were sent with the subject: Important, which, to me, is a sign of a virus being sent. I didn't even look to see if an attachment was sent with it.
    Lucky you that you are just starting to get these virus infected e-mails.
    They have been circulating for months and are a pain in the butt.
    The virus seems to be able to infiltrate contact lists and fires off e-mails with virus infected attachments, that if you open, could infect your PC, if your anti virus program does not manage to stop it.
    It also seems capable of sending an e-mail to you disguising it's origins, so it gives you the impression that someone sent you an e-mail, while they did not.
    Anyhow, the bottom line is that you should never open attachments that seem suspicious, scan them first, if possible, and keep your virus program up to date.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Lucky you that you are just starting to get these virus infected e-mails.
    They have been circulating for months and are a pain in the butt.
    The virus seems to be able to infiltrate contact lists and fires off e-mails with virus infected attachments, that if you open, could infect your PC, if your anti virus program does not manage to stop it.
    It also seems capable of sending an e-mail to you disguising it's origins, so it gives you the impression that someone sent you an e-mail, while they did not.
    Anyhow, the bottom line is that you should never open attachments that seem suspicious, scan them first, if possible, and keep your virus program up to date.

Marco,
    Is it possible that the virus is not coming from the DR, even though the mail return for aol says that the originating ISP is from codetel? Obviously, I was not the original sender, although the mail return said that I was. I have no idea how these things work. It is not hurting my computer at all, as I have deleted the emails, and I only open attachments if I know what they are.

Thanks,
    Mary

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb 100% Cure for the Virus Problem

Ignore them and delete any inbound mail with attachments since the spoofing of the sender means you may think it is trusted. You can't do anything about this problem owing to the nature of how it spreads via contact lists in Outlook of people really not that close to you. And it will die out eventually.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of these returned mail notices. Just delete them without worrying about them, and be sure not to open any attachments. I've gotten returned notices from [email protected], fabio Guzman's office, and many other places. Just delete them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been getting between 10 - 15 of these A DAY!! Norton Anti-virus picks up most of them & advises me of potential problems or deletes them immediately. Codetel (Now Verizon) seem prepared to allow these to continue when I suspect they could pre identify the viruses themselves & get them deleted from sending on to final recipient - Why don't they do this??

Many of my e-mails sent out by using Codetel, are returned "Unable to deliver as the receiving server has BLOCKED the server you are using" (or something meaning the same thing!!!). i.e. Codetel has a BAD record for allowing junk mail & viruses to be passed through their server!! How do we the users of Codetel, manage to get sufficient pressure on to Codetel to get them to improve their effectiveness against junk mail/viruses? Anyone got some bright ideas??? - Grahame.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default our "friends"- the viruses..

I use this antivirus program, can recommend it. I havent payed a peso so far.

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Avast too. Used to have Norton Executive and deleted it. Avast is great and its free.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default virus cure

if you go to AVG website, you can download AVG 6 virus killer. they do a free version, that allows you to update free, it also allows you to run a resident shield, this spots viruses being downloaded. I have used it for many years, it is a great program.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby
    How do we the users of Codetel, manage to get sufficient pressure on to Codetel to get them to improve their effectiveness against junk mail/viruses? Anyone got some bright ideas??? - Grahame.
    My solution was to stop using my codetel address. Instead, I have several Yahoo addresses; they have good filters. If you get a Yahoo account from Yahoo US, you now only get 4mg of storage. But I am getting 6mg from yahoo.es (Spain).

I have long thought that Codetel/Verizon employees were selling addresses. No other way to account for all the spam I was getting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast