playstation 2

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Hello

I will bring my playstation 2 with me this summer to give to the children of my friend but she told me that playstation in US and in EUROPE are different, can this PS2 from Belgium work in DR ?
They will be so happy with that playstation and we don't need it here, i hope it will be ok !

sonia

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
ps2

MrMike said:
Maybe European PS2's output the PAL format video, which would make it useless with a North American television. (NTSC) Just guessing.

yes i was also thinking about that ... the problem will be with the television

thanks for your answer

sonia

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Two problems with easy fixes

I recently purchased a PS2 in Kuwait and returned it to the US only to find it would not turn on. Reason being, the voltage 220, DR uses 110. So I had to go to Radio Shack and purchase a voltage convert for about $35 US. It allows the use of 220 appliances in a 110 outlet.

Also if you don't have the right tv connectors you might have to buy these as well. The one that came with the ps2 was a square adapter that is used in europe. TV's in DR most likely use the RCA connectors that are used in home stero and DVD's. Again, these can easily be found at radio shack.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
santanatwins said:
I recently purchased a PS2 in Kuwait and returned it to the US only to find it would not turn on. Reason being, the voltage 220, DR uses 110. So I had to go to Radio Shack and purchase a voltage convert for about $35 US. It allows the use of 220 appliances in a 110 outlet.

Also if you don't have the right tv connectors you might have to buy these as well. The one that came with the ps2 was a square adapter that is used in europe. TV's in DR most likely use the RCA connectors that are used in home stero and DVD's. Again, these can easily be found at radio shack.

MrMike hit the nail on the head.
North Americans use the NTSC broadcast system which has a different amount of lines than the other systems in the world, such as Pal and Secam.
Not only will the European PS2 not play on our TVs, but the games themselves are different, so a Secam game will not work in a NTSC unit.
The only way you could make it work here would be if you had a multi system TV that handles NTSC, Pal, Secam, plus a transformer to convert it from 220/240 to 110/120 volt, and still you would not be able to use the games which are sold here.
To bring up another issue, while we are on the subject, I seem to be under the impression/delusion that I am the best Gran Turismo racer in the country. Anybody want to challenge me???

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Rocky said:
To bring up another issue, while we are on the subject, I seem to be under the impression/delusion that I am the best Gran Turismo racer in the country. Anybody want to challenge me???

well I guess to enjoy the real action we have to wait for a PX2 with online capability , I bet I can make you eat some dust in Laguna Seca jejejeje :devious:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The challenge...

Mark1 said:
well I guess to enjoy the real action we have to wait for a PX2 with online capability , I bet I can make you eat some dust in Laguna Seca jejejeje :devious:
You would go and choose my favorite track. 1:01.something, best time.
So there's another reason to come down to the DR. Wear your seat belt, it could be a bumpy ride.
PS: Won't GT4 have internet capabilities?
Marco.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Rocky said:
You would go and choose my favorite track. 1:01.something, best time.
So there's another reason to come down to the DR. Wear your seat belt, it could be a bumpy ride.
PS: Won't GT4 have internet capabilities?
Marco.
Yes ,that's what "polyphony" promised, btw the Network Adapter is only $39 and there's already a good range of online-games available.

1.01 ? :speechles is Schumaker your last name? :cheeky:

ahem sorry Sonia :knockedou

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The good news...

Mark1 said:
Yes ,that's what "polyphony" promised, btw the Network Adapter is only $39 and there's already a good range of online-games available.

1.01 ? :speechles is Schumaker your last name? :cheeky:

ahem sorry Sonia :knockedou
Is that anyone who can beat me, their choice of car and track, gets to drink all evening on the house. Another reason to come down !!!
BTW: That record was established with a F94S formula car, so it helps to explain the low lap time.
PS: If you find out that GT4 is internet compatible, please let me know.
Regards, Marco.

DomAm

May 11, 2002
re: PAL/NTSC

You may want to get a PAL/NTSC/SECAM digital video system converter.
E-BAY has them for about a buck fifty (US$150.00).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Converter

DomAm said:
You may want to get a PAL/NTSC/SECAM digital video system converter.
E-BAY has them for about a buck fifty (US$150.00).

Not a bad deal, but you still can't go to the store and buy games here to play on the European machine. All you could use would be the games you brought with you.
You can buy a nearly new NTSC PS2 on E-Bay for a buck fifty as well, and it may be a better solution. There are also brand new machines with one controller, no memory card and one game for $149 US in some of the big box stores like Wal Mart, etc.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
PS2 facts

Well, I beg to differ about being able to use the PS2 from europe over here in the DR/US.

I purchased a brand new BLUE PS2 with the bootleg chip installed, two controllers, memory card, 20 games, carrying bag and a cd case for the 20 games for $330 in Kuwait in April of this year. Each additional game, bootlegs of course, cost me $3.40....that's right $3.40. And they all work.

When I brought the PS2 home to queens, it would not turn on. So I went to Radio shack and purchased a voltage converter that allows me to use european appliances in the US/DR. It cost $34.99 plus tax. You can find it on their website.

The adapters that come with the PS2 were all I needed to play. Sony provides you with two sets, one for european TV's that has a square plug adapter. They also provide RCA adapters for use in the US/DR, similar to the ones you use to hook up your DVD players.

I did not need to purchase the $150 adapter that someone mentioned above.
If you like, I can send you a pic of me playing NBA live slam dunking on Shaq......LOL

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This may be so, but..

santanatwins said:
Well, I beg to differ about being able to use the PS2 from europe over here in the DR/US.

I purchased a brand new BLUE PS2 with the bootleg chip installed, two controllers, memory card, 20 games, carrying bag and a cd case for the 20 games for $330 in Kuwait in April of this year. Each additional game, bootlegs of course, cost me $3.40....that's right $3.40. And they all work.

When I brought the PS2 home to queens, it would not turn on. So I went to Radio shack and purchased a voltage converter that allows me to use european appliances in the US/DR. It cost $34.99 plus tax. You can find it on their website.

The adapters that come with the PS2 were all I needed to play. Sony provides you with two sets, one for european TV's that has a square plug adapter. They also provide RCA adapters for use in the US/DR, similar to the ones you use to hook up your DVD players.

I did not need to purchase the $150 adapter that someone mentioned above.
If you like, I can send you a pic of me playing NBA live slam dunking on Shaq......LOL
The original question was about a European PS2 unit, which will NOT play on our TVs here, nor would you be able to buy our NTSC games that are sold here in the DR, without the buying special adapters, converters, or having multi system TV's, and still you can't go out to the store and buy your favorite new game. You would have to import it.
I don't doubt that you bought some unusual (blue) PS2 model that works on your TV in America, using all the pirate copies with your specially chipped unit, but the fact remains that the original poster does not have what you have and it wil NOT work here without all the above mentioned devices.
To make it all clear, our TVs here use a system with approx 525 lines, while Pal and Secam are both approx 800 lines, and if you try to mix the 2 up, it just comes out garbled.
Marco.
PS: Kuwait is not in Europe.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
My son brought his PS2 from Uk and I bought a TV in Santiago for it, you just have to ensure it has the 3 outlets at the front instead of 2. It works fine with all his European games except some are not in colour.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My point exactly...

Ladybird said:
It works fine with all his European games except some are not in colour.
It works with the European games, assuming you have a special TV, such as the one you bought, but you still can't go to the store and buy a new game for it. They will NOT work.
Now if you do the math, you will find that it is cheaper to buy a NTSC PS2 ($150 US) than to buy a new TV and adaptors and transformers, etc, and the bonus is that you can purchase games here that will work in your unit.

Last edited:

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Rocky said:
Not a bad deal, but you still can't go to the store and buy games here to play on the European machine. All you could use would be the games you brought with you.
You can buy a nearly new NTSC PS2 on E-Bay for a buck fifty as well, and it may be a better solution. There are also brand new machines with one controller, no memory card and one game for $149 US in some of the big box stores like Wal Mart, etc.

Helloooo I'm back ...

you're right, the games are totally different but i will bring alllll the games we have here with me, i'm going to DR every 3 months, so every 3 months i will bring new games for the children

but ... after reding all the threads i think it's maybe better if i buy a PS2 in DR ? what do you think ? and i will continue to play here with my eye toy :) hihi 27 years and still a child ! i like also gran turismo but at a small level ....

but where ? in PP or SANTIAGO ?
An idea about the price ?

thanks

sonia

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Rocky said:
It works with the European games, assuming you have a special TV, such as the one you bought, but you still can't go to the store and buy a new game for it. They will NOT work.
Now if you do the math, you will find that it is cheaper to buy a NTSC PS2 ($150 US) than to buy a new TV and adaptors and transformers, etc, and the bonus is that you can purchase games here that will work in your unit.

it's better rocky ! here i paid 200 ? for my PS2

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Me too..

SONIA said:
it's better rocky ! here i paid 200 ? for my PS2
I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me approx. $400 US.
I can't tell you how much they sell them for here in the DR as I have not researched it, but if I see one anywhere, I will let you know how much they are.
The only reason I know how much they cost now in the US, is that we wore the darn thing out here in the bar, and I had to buy another one, that my good ole' Texan friend is bringing me this week.
If you do buy another unit, you may be interested to know, that the European controllers and memory cards are the same as our American ones.
Regards, Marco.

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Rocky said:
I bought mine when it first came out and it cost me approx. $400 US.
I can't tell you how much they sell them for here in the DR as I have not researched it, but if I see one anywhere, I will let you know how much they are.
The only reason I know how much they cost now in the US, is that we wore the darn thing out here in the bar, and I had to buy another one, that my good ole' Texan friend is bringing me this week.
If you do buy another unit, you may be interested to know, that the European controllers and memory cards are the same as our American ones.
Regards, Marco.

ok well note
thanks marco for your answer and if you have info about price or place to buy one PS2 in DR ( puerto plata ) tell me, i know that the children are waiting for the PS2 ...

sonia

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Maybe wasting your time but .....

I've brought my UK PS2 with me and intend to use it but I haven't even got it out of the box yet. However, I also brought a PC TV card with me - available everywhere and configurable for anywhere in the world. I'm guessing that with the arial lead adaptor (sold seperately) I will be able to configure my TV card to be running in the UK and it should work?

If anyone would like to shoot me down in flames over this it will save me having to bother with setting it up - otherwise you will have the double benefit of being able to re-configure the card to watch Dominican TV. :ermm:

Anyone tried this yet?

Otherwise - UK PS2 for sale 50$ :classic: