Currency Preference

metallique

May 29, 2004
First of all what a great site this is. We will be heading For Puerto Plata and plan to see the local countryside. We are from NY and tend to be good tippers where ever we go, so do the locals prefer U.S. currency or their own currency? Also what are the peso amounts of their paper currency I see todays exchange rate is about $1. to 47 pesos. We have seen photo galleries of the 27 falls and looks to be a nice day trip. Any info on that would be appreciated. We will be staying at LVHC Lifestyle Crown Villas at the Haceinda Resorts. Anyone been there ?? Would be great to hear about it negative or otherwise. Can't wait. Metallique

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use Pesos

Which come in 1 peso and 5 peso coins (moneda) and 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000, and 2000 peso notes ( efectivos). Tips of RD$ 50 - 100 to waiters, maids, etc. willl be appreciated, e.g. $1 to $2 US now and then.

NB: When buying pesos use a cambio ( money exchange) and tell them no to 1000 and 2000 peso notes (which I assure you they will try to pawn off on you if you are changing anything larger than a US$20) as they are too large for general use and hard to get change from - limit to the smaller bills, I prefer the RD$100 note for being the most useful.

metallique

May 29, 2004
pesos it is

ricktoronto said:
Which come in 1 peso and 5 peso coins (moneda) and 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000, and 2000 peso notes ( efectivos). Tips of RD$ 50 - 100 to waiters, maids, etc. willl be appreciated, e.g. $1 to $2 US now and then.

NB: When buying pesos use a cambio ( money exchange) and tell them no to 1000 and 2000 peso notes (which I assure you they will try to pawn off on you if you are changing anything larger than a US$20) as they are too large for general use and hard to get change from - limit to the smaller bills, I prefer the RD$100 note for being the most useful.[/QUOTEPesos it is then. that info will be a big help. Will exchange currency at the airport. thanks much

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Currency

metallique said:
First of all what a great site this is. We will be heading For Puerto Plata and plan to see the local countryside. We are from NY and tend to be good tippers where ever we go, so do the locals prefer U.S. currency or their own currency? Also what are the peso amounts of their paper currency I see todays exchange rate is about $1. to 47 pesos. We have seen photo galleries of the 27 falls and looks to be a nice day trip. Any info on that would be appreciated. We will be staying at LVHC Lifestyle Crown Villas at the Haceinda Resorts. Anyone been there ?? Would be great to hear about it negative or otherwise. Can't wait. Metallique

I believe that it is advantageous to give tips in pesos. When you hand a waiter 100 pesos, he knows and understands the value of what he received, whereas if you give him 2 bucks, it seems so small and has him running to the calculator just to know if you tipped him well, not to mention that he has to go out of his way to get it changed.
The falls you are referring to are quite an adventure and a fair bit of work as well, as they demand a lot of climbing and trekking.
I don't know the resort you mentioned, but I imagine some other members will be able to give you details about it.
Hope you have a great time, Marco.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Crown Villas at Hacienda are nice and spacious houses originally built for residential use (I own one of them), not vacation rentals. So they are more like private houses then your run of the mill vacation rental. Most have large pools and the area is very quiet and quaint. There are about 80 of them and they are all different so its hard to comment specifically without knowing which one you will be at.

metallique

May 29, 2004
Crown Villas

Conchman, Thanks for the reply. We have seen pictures. They look very nice. We will be in unit #6993. A 3 bedroom unit. Just curious how far it is from the beach, restauraunts, bars etc: And your overall opinion of our choice. Any ideas on what to do outside the compound? I am particularly fond on windsurfing although it has been a few years. Thanks Metallique

metallique

May 29, 2004
27 waterfalls

Rocky said:
I believe that it is advantageous to give tips in pesos. When you hand a waiter 100 pesos, he knows and understands the value of what he received, whereas if you give him 2 bucks, it seems so small and has him running to the calculator just to know if you tipped him well, not to mention that he has to go out of his way to get it changed.
The falls you are referring to are quite an adventure and a fair bit of work as well, as they demand a lot of climbing and trekking.
I don't know the resort you mentioned, but I imagine some other members will be able to give you details about it.
Hope you have a great time, Marco.
Marco. Thanks for the info. About how far is it to the 27 waterfalls trekk and how would you recommend we go about getting a guide? Thanks Metallique

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Water falls

metallique said:
Marco. Thanks for the info. About how far is it to the 27 waterfalls trekk and how would you recommend we go about getting a guide? Thanks Metallique

As I don't know exactly where your hotel is, I can't say how long a ride it is out to the falls, but if you are already in the POP area, it would be less than 30 minutes.
If you made your own way out there, you would still need a guide, as it is too difficult to go up and down without assistance.
I assume the people at Crown Villas will be able to steer you to the right people to book a tour.
Marco.