Army Stealing Jimani Relief Aid

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
Three truck loads of clothes and supplies were collected in our small town outside of Santiago. They were driven to Jimani on Thursday accompanied by the Defensia Civil.
Upon reaching the disaster area we were directed by the Policia to a 'Distribution Centre" that had been set up. The building is so full that they are pilling up bags and boxes of supplies around the building. If it rains again everything will de ruined. The army has armed guards around the building protecting their horde. The only distributing being done is to the army and police for themselves. Each box or bag is inspected and the best supplies are being taken by the authorities. Not even the leftovers are being distributed to the ones that the aid was intended for. There is food that is now going bad with people who have lost everything less than 100 yards away.
After sizing up the situation before unloading we wisely made an excuse that we were waiting for more of their group and took a drive around the area. In front of the fire station sat a large number of the disaster victims. They said that no aid had been provided by the authorities to this point and they can see the trucks rolling in all week with the things they need to survive.
We quickly distributed everything we had directly to the people for whom it was intended right on the the street and got out of town.
In fifteen years of living , visiting and traveling around this country, I have seen alot of good and bad . My biggest regret is that I hadn't taken a camera to record what is going on in Jimani.

As reported in Hoy, mejia called the solidarity of the Dominican people ?amazing,? and spoke of how they, along with the government, private institutions and the international community, had come to the relief of Jimani.

The 'solidarity of the Dominican people' who have little more than the victims, giving what they can in small towns around the country is unbelievable. The heartless greed and corruption of the Dominican Police, Army and Government is even more unbelievable.

There are large drives to collect money and supplies in Dominican communities in Miami, New York, Toronto etc. The Police and Army are waiting to receive your clothes and whatever else you would like to give them.

mejia only wants the cash ( no pesos, dollars only please)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
> Each box or bag is inspected and the best supplies are being taken
> by the authorities.

How do you know this?

> In front of the fire station sat a large number of the disaster victims.
> They said that no aid had been provided by the authorities to this
> point

How do you know they are telling you the truth?

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
I have eyes , I saw what they were doing.
I have ears, I heard what they were saying.

I saw them and heard them and I chose to believe them.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Just for the heck of it, I sent a copy of debajoelsol's posting to webmaster@www.cnn.com.
Let's hope they pick up on this and do some investigating!
If I didn't have the correct web address will someone let me know how to report this incident to CNN and other media sites.

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
how depressing, but how predictable

Participacion Cuidadana should step in here and 'monitor' distribution. They do an admirable job as electoral observers, maybe they have a worthy role to play here as well.

Chiri

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Texas Bill said:
Just for the heck of it, I sent a copy of debajoelsol's posting to webmaster@www.cnn.com.
Let's hope they pick up on this and do some investigating!
If I didn't have the correct web address will someone let me know how to report this incident to CNN and other media sites.

Texas Bill

Go to this page on the CNN site

http://edition.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11.html?1

for a form you can fill in with this sort of 'news tip'.

Chiri

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
adrianb said:
> Each box or bag is inspected and the best supplies are being taken
> by the authorities.

How do you know this?

> In front of the fire station sat a large number of the disaster victims.
> They said that no aid had been provided by the authorities to this
> point

How do you know they are telling you the truth?

When you hear it from 3 or 4 repected people who have visited the area, you tend to think there is a valid case for the statements. When you hear denials from the army & police AND you get Hippo stating how much the Government is doing to help in the area - You KNOW it's true!!!

I have heard from friends who have been down there distributing & have come back with the same story!!!

By the way Debajoelsol, did you see/feel anything of the 4.4 earthquake whilst you were down there on Thursday? It has been reported by Reuters (now 'Confirmed' by CNN & local stations) that one took place but no "Eye Witness" reports. The only thing we seem able to determin is that the "General" stated there was one!!!!! - Grahame.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios!!

debajoelsol said:
Three truck loads of clothes and supplies were collected in our small town outside of Santiago. They were driven to Jimani on Thursday accompanied by the Defensia Civil.
Upon reaching the disaster area we were directed by the Policia to a 'Distribution Centre" that had been set up. The building is so full that they are pilling up bags and boxes of supplies around the building. If it rains again everything will de ruined. The army has armed guards around the building protecting their horde. The only distributing being done is to the army and police for themselves. Each box or bag is inspected and the best supplies are being taken by the authorities. Not even the leftovers are being distributed to the ones that the aid was intended for. There is food that is now going bad with people who have lost everything less than 100 yards away.
After sizing up the situation before unloading we wisely made an excuse that we were waiting for more of their group and took a drive around the area. In front of the fire station sat a large number of the disaster victims. They said that no aid had been provided by the authorities to this point and they can see the trucks rolling in all week with the things they need to survive.
We quickly distributed everything we had directly to the people for whom it was intended right on the the street and got out of town.
In fifteen years of living , visiting and traveling around this country, I have seen alot of good and bad . My biggest regret is that I hadn't taken a camera to record what is going on in Jimani.

As reported in Hoy, mejia called the solidarity of the Dominican people “amazing,” and spoke of how they, along with the government, private institutions and the international community, had come to the relief of Jimani.

The 'solidarity of the Dominican people' who have little more than the victims, giving what they can in small towns around the country is unbelievable. The heartless greed and corruption of the Dominican Police, Army and Government is even more unbelievable.

There are large drives to collect money and supplies in Dominican communities in Miami, New York, Toronto etc. The Police and Army are waiting to receive your clothes and whatever else you would like to give them.

mejia only wants the cash ( no pesos, dollars only please)
After reading your thread, I could not help but feel sad. My heart aches not only because of what you said, because, believe it or not, I knew that it would happen exactly the way you mentioned, but also because it seems that it's the norm that their "me first" attitude will never change. It's sad. Elena's son-in law (he is the driver of a very high dominican politico), drove over to Jimani with his boss and he says that what he saw was out of this world. Nobody was helping anybody. You are right, if you would had brought a camera with you, we could have had a better idea of the dis-service that these people are doing (or not doing).