Moving to Punta cana from uk, Any advice?

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
Hi there
Myself and a friend are seriously considering moving to punta cana/Bavaro and have so many questions i.e medical services, visas, accommodation etc.
I have visited the dominican three times in the past 18 months and am in love with it, i have spent some time off the hotel resorts so am not totally ignorant to the way of life, but would like to speak to people who have already made the transition.Can you help?

de_la_cruz

Mar 25, 2004
ive been to bavaro 7 times in the last year and it sure as hell is the most expensive place in DR, now its obvious that you chicks met some guys there otherwise you wouldnt specifivally move to Bavaro, because outside of the resorts there isnt much...
im going to DR in a few weeks for awhile any questions email me at :
jennifer_la_barbie@hotmail.com

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Learn its name

laura-jane said:
Hi there

I have visited the dominican three times in the past 18 months and am in love with it, ...

You can visit A Dominican (a person) or Dominica ( a different island country) or you can visit the DR, the Dominican Republic, la republica dominicana. One of the three.

Since you offered so much detail about your plans, money, ages, what you plan to live on and so forth, it's hard to know where to begin with tips.

Any why Punta Cana unless you think all inclusive resorts and the nearby surroundings represent the country, which they sure don't.

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
advice on moving to Punta Cana

Thought I would give you 24 hours before answering your post....giving you time to learn your lesson according to the "forum police" haha (Quite frankly, most Dominicans dont care what you call it as long as you bring your Euros with you!! Politically correct is not a way of life here)
There are only 3 reasons I can think of, at the moment, for moving here...you have a very good job offer (with a pre-signed contract) 2) you have lots of money, are prepared to spend it,and just want to enjoy the Caribbean 3) you have met some of the local guys, had a good time,and think you died and went to heaven..if that is the case, you SERIOUSLY need to read the forum on relationships further down the board...Having said that....
Punta Cana is not cheap and everything is based on the U.S.dollar...nobody wants pesos...if you dont have dollars..they take the pesos on the rate of exchange for that day(unless the rate of exchange for "them" is better the day before)....nothing new about that...
If you are smart, you will stay in a gated community with good (hmmm) security.. a furnished apartment will cost you anywhere from $400 to $800 U.S per month , not counting electricity ..use that frequently..add another 100-150 (yes, dollars) per month....cable is usually included...maid...another $100 per month...by the way, for that kind of money dont expect everything to be in ship-shape condition..it takes ages for things to be repaired if ever.....you can opt for less expensive areas, not much security, and if you have chosen #3 from above, thats where you will end up....a friend of mine, trying to cut corners lives in one of those areas, with security...However, ironically, last week ....the security guard shot the owner 5 times ...along with shooting his 72 year old mother in the leg...he was dead before he got to the hospital...strangest thing..the hospital diagnosed him with lead poisoning!!!
(You did ask for advice on medical facilities!!!!)...All kidding aside, it was a tragedy..
Next, transportation..........taxis are expensive, motor scooters are dangerous with all of these buses and mac trucks involved with the new construction ....so, if you dont buy a car because you are on a budget you will need to stoop to motoconchos...once again if you have chosen #3..thats what you will end up doing.......Now, after all that...you have not even had your first Presidente!!!!.....NOTHING is cheap here including food and booze................if you are living it up..that will cost you as much as your rent if not more!! Once again, if you have chosen #3 double that!
My personal opinion......if it is sun you are looking for,go to the Canaries, or Costa del Sol..its cheaper and closer to home....but if you are still hell-bent on moving here ..drop me a line when you get in town and say Hi

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
hey hlywud thanks for your advice!

Hlywud said:
come back and visit for awhile, rent a place and learn about the country before deciding to move to Bavaro. Bring lots of money, Bavaro isnt cheap.

Thanks for your reply. Am planning on coming back for three months in november to see how i get on first as am aware being on holiday and living there are so different. Just really do not know where to start, am saving like crazy so i have back up if all does not go well but am stuck on where and how to go about finding work and accommodation. Do you have any contacts or suggestions? How long have you been out there and how are you finding it? would love to know more. And im not one of those loved up teenagers relocating cause they have been romanced by a local ha ha, i lived in australia for a while on my own and am very independent, therefore think i have what it takes to do this! you dont know if you dont try eh?
laura-jane

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
yeah whats with the forum police yikes!

backinthedr said:
Thought I would give you 24 hours before answering your post....giving you time to learn your lesson according to the "forum police" haha (Quite frankly, most Dominicans dont care what you call it as long as you bring your Euros with you!! Politically correct is not a way of life here)
There are only 3 reasons I can think of, at the moment, for moving here...you have a very good job offer (with a pre-signed contract) 2) you have lots of money, are prepared to spend it,and just want to enjoy the Caribbean 3) you have met some of the local guys, had a good time,and think you died and went to heaven..if that is the case, you SERIOUSLY need to read the forum on relationships further down the board...Having said that....
Punta Cana is not cheap and everything is based on the U.S.dollar...nobody wants pesos...if you dont have dollars..they take the pesos on the rate of exchange for that day(unless the rate of exchange for "them" is better the day before)....nothing new about that...
If you are smart, you will stay in a gated community with good (hmmm) security.. a furnished apartment will cost you anywhere from $400 to $800 U.S per month , not counting electricity ..use that frequently..add another 100-150 (yes, dollars) per month....cable is usually included...maid...another $100 per month...by the way, for that kind of money dont expect everything to be in ship-shape condition..it takes ages for things to be repaired if ever.....you can opt for less expensive areas, not much security, and if you have chosen #3 from above, thats where you will end up....a friend of mine, trying to cut corners lives in one of those areas, with security...However, ironically, last week ....the security guard shot the owner 5 times ...along with shooting his 72 year old mother in the leg...he was dead before he got to the hospital...strangest thing..the hospital diagnosed him with lead poisoning!!!
(You did ask for advice on medical facilities!!!!)...All kidding aside, it was a tragedy..
Next, transportation..........taxis are expensive, motor scooters are dangerous with all of these buses and mac trucks involved with the new construction ....so, if you dont buy a car because you are on a budget you will need to stoop to motoconchos...once again if you have chosen #3..thats what you will end up doing.......Now, after all that...you have not even had your first Presidente!!!!.....NOTHING is cheap here including food and booze................if you are living it up..that will cost you as much as your rent if not more!! Once again, if you have chosen #3 double that!
My personal opinion......if it is sun you are looking for,go to the Canaries, or Costa del Sol..its cheaper and closer to home....but if you are still hell-bent on moving here ..drop me a line when you get in town and say Hi

blimey! am glad not everyone so unfriendly on this forum. Sorry to offend anyone by using the phrase "the dominican" i should be dragged kicking and screaming out into the street and shot ha ha!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
gosh, we have a lot of these today.

So laura-jane, whats the guy's name? Care to tell us a little about him? Is he worth moving to the caribbean?

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Laura Jane PM or Email me some more details

I?m English, have been living here for 15 months, work in Bavaro and live in La Otra Banda.

Last edited:

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
Hey sharron whats up?

Thanks for your reply. So how long have you been living there and how are you finding it? Wow some people on here can not wait to jump down your throat eh? Sorry to dissapoint everyone and deny them a "your such a loser for running to the caribbean for a holiday romance" type thing, but there is no man! sorry guys, almost wish there was! The truth is i just love it there and made some good friends. Anyway sharron now i have got that off my chest tell me more. Am not having a great deal of luck finding information about renting, working etc in the d.r. Like i said have friends there but the language barrier gets in the way a bit. Would love to hear from you.
laura-jane
x

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
sorry! no man! am boring ha ha

Have no man there! But starting to wish i did so i could join in the ear bashing! Get plenty of attention when im there (my god doesnt everyone?) but just havent met anyone that interests me, am obviously hard to please. Wouldnt rule it out, am a grown women that does'nt need advice on how to handle men. Thanks for your concern though! x
:laugh:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
laura-jane said:
Thanks for your reply. So how long have you been living there and how are you finding it? Wow some people on here can not wait to jump down your throat eh? Sorry to dissapoint everyone and deny them a "your such a loser for running to the caribbean for a holiday romance" type thing, but there is no man! sorry guys, almost wish there was! The truth is i just love it there and made some good friends. Anyway sharron now i have got that off my chest tell me more. Am not having a great deal of luck finding information about renting, working etc in the d.r. Like i said have friends there but the language barrier gets in the way a bit. Would love to hear from you.
laura-jane
x

I don't know if you noticed but Punta Cana is gorgeous and great for Vacationing on an all-inclusive plan!! I would not consider Punta Cana as a place to live, to own a vacation villa--yes (I'm thinking about buying something in Cap Cana, but I want to see how it develops before I jump in), but I would not consider it for living, unless its retirement living. If you want to move to the Dominican Republic, the best bet (especially if you want to find work and want some comforts and want to be near areas that look very first world like) the best place for that is Santo Domingo. Of course, it is a Caribbean Metropolis (the largest in the islands), so if you don't like the slight rush rush feeling that can overwhelm anyone sometimes in SDQ, I'll suggest living in the suburb of Boca Chica or maybe in a gated Community in Juan Dolio (Guavaberry is very very nice, so is Metro Country Club and their is a new Condo. complex being planned to be built along the beach there). The beauty of Juan Dolio is that it has a beautiful beach (not as beautiful as in Punta Cana, but much more beautiful than anything you will find in the UK) and you are going to be 45 minutes away from Santo Domingo (where you can get absolutely anything you want), you'll be 30 minutes from the Major airport serving the Capital and about 1:15 from La Romana international. You'll be centrally located along the south coast and you'll be within easy reach of several tourist spots, which gives you the opportunity to meet people from around the world without leaving your home!

Other areas that are nice for living would be the North Coast. In many ways its similar to the South coast, except that the nearest largest city is three quarters smaller than Santo Domingo and its inland in the Cibao and the scenery is much much nicer with 3,000 feet mountains on one side and the shimmering seas on the other. Plus, some pleasant towns and the tourist trade supplying new fresh pale faces which adds some cultural color to the area.

Other places would include Las Terrenas or Samana, the Cibao Valley, and La Romana area. But not Punta Cana, at least not yet. Although, now is the time to own some land near the coast there, because based on the beauty of the beaches and the rate of development, the entire coast will eventually fall under development and it would be nice to see your lot of land double, triple, maybe even quadruple in price in a matter of 5 to 10 years down the road!

Enjoy the Dominican Republic!!

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
find your groove

try and find out where the Brits are settled in DR for that "feels like home" feeling. I have an impression that most of them expat (brave) Brits are in the north but I may be wrong. Ask around or just gualla la yuca with the rest of us.