Horses

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
We have received much info regarding cows but more would be welcome. however we want to buy two horses, one at least 16/17 hands with tack.
Any ideas
wales

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Don't know about "quality" tack.....

....unless you just import it...but I do know that the only place in the DR where I have seen horses in the size you are looking for is in the LaRomana area. The cowboys out that direction have them. Where you can buy them out there ...don't know. But I definitely know they are in that region.

Good luck!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
dms3611 said:
....unless you just import it...but I do know that the only place in the DR where I have seen horses in the size you are looking for is in the LaRomana area. The cowboys out that direction have them. Where you can buy them out there ...don't know. But I definitely know they are in that region.

Good luck!

Where is La Romana area?
'Phone #s would be appreciated.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Go to the V Centenario race track on the Las Americas Highway between Santo Domingo and the Airport.

If you get in touch with the racing asociation they may get you in touch with the breeders.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Look no further! It took me 3 years to finally meet up with people who knew of horses! I'm currently the happy owner of a 20 y/o 16+ h TB cross. You just have to get the right contacts. If you're in Santo Domingo, go by the Feria Ganadera. There you'll find TBs, QH (lots and many imported), Appaloosas, Paso Finos, even Tennessee Walkers! There are also several riding schools like Nitram, Las Colinas and Palmajerito where high class people keep their horses. I'm also part of a country wide group call EquiClub and if you want, I can have my friend send out an email to all to see what we can find for you. All depends on how much money you have to spend on them. If you want a purebred, then you'll have to spend easily over RD$50,000. If you don't mind a crossbred, then you've got more options. As for tack, I would suggest buying it over the internet and shipping it down or you'll pay double the price for everything. A new simple english saddle can cost you well over RD$20,000. Then again, we could probably find something used if that's what you're interested in.

Let me know if your interested and in what are you are so that I can help you.

Good luck!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
KateP said:
Look no further! It took me 3 years to finally meet up with people who knew of horses! I'm currently the happy owner of a 20 y/o 16+ h TB cross. You just have to get the right contacts. If you're in Santo Domingo, go by the Feria Ganadera. There you'll find TBs, QH (lots and many imported), Appaloosas, Paso Finos, even Tennessee Walkers! There are also several riding schools like Nitram, Las Colinas and Palmajerito where high class people keep their horses. I'm also part of a country wide group call EquiClub and if you want, I can have my friend send out an email to all to see what we can find for you. All depends on how much money you have to spend on them. If you want a purebred, then you'll have to spend easily over RD$50,000. If you don't mind a crossbred, then you've got more options. As for tack, I would suggest buying it over the internet and shipping it down or you'll pay double the price for everything. A new simple english saddle can cost you well over RD$20,000. Then again, we could probably find something used if that's what you're interested in.

Let me know if your interested and in what are you are so that I can help you.

Good luck!

Fantastic. No, I don't need a thoroughbred and second-hand tack is fine.
Anything you can do would be much appreciated. There is no rush as we do not expect to be living there for a couple of months. We will be close to Cabarete but I am sure there must be horse transporters.
Wales

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
We've got at least 2 members of our group that live in Puerto Plata and should be able to help you if you want to find horses locally. Where are you right now so that I can put that as a reference and how much would you be willing to spend? Would you prefer your tipical walk,trot and canter or have you tried the local favorites that are a cross between the paso fino gait and trot? They're generally very comfortable and relatively easy to find. People who like to trail ride a lot normally prefer them for their easy gait and stamina... As for the tack, what do you prefer? English or western and what size?

I know those are lots of questions but they'll help narrow down the options...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Those tight gated horses were pointed out to me at Seahorse. I didn't measure the nags but they looked to have a few hands:)

I think that there is a bigger horse community in the DR than most folks realize.

Scott

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That's an understatement!

A LOT bigger than anyone would think. In the last Feria Ganadera, there were about 400 horses present between Paso Finos, hunters and jumpers, and the rodeo group. There mare I had the pleasure of riding is a beautiful imported white Quarterhorse who ran a very respectable 17 seconds in barrel racing... Very impressive and needless to say the owner was very proud.

In Equi Club, we must be around 200 strong by now. At our last Rally, 75 pairs competed.

It took me a while to find this group but let me tell you it's been worth it. These people take trail riding to its best.

If anyone else would like more information, don't hesitate to contact me!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
KateP said:
A LOT bigger than anyone would think. In the last Feria Ganadera, there were about 400 horses present between Paso Finos, hunters and jumpers, and the rodeo group. There mare I had the pleasure of riding is a beautiful imported white Quarterhorse who ran a very respectable 17 seconds in barrel racing... Very impressive and needless to say the owner was very proud.

In Equi Club, we must be around 200 strong by now. At our last Rally, 75 pairs competed.

It took me a while to find this group but let me tell you it's been worth it. These people take trail riding to its best.

Wow. Maybe a new hobby for us. Did you receive my e-mail?
Wales

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
KateP said:
Nope. Only got a copy of mine.
Well I just sent you another copy if you did not recieve I'm not shy I think you can help my e-mail is librian@ eastlink.ca
regards
Wales

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
KateP said:

I sent your info to a friend who is a known artist in the Sporting Horse Field in the States and Canada. She does Bronze works and is shown in different galleries in the States. She is living in the DR and would love to hook up with you because she need models to work with.

I would love to observe these events and would love if you were able to post the North Coast events so I can come view them.

Thanks,
Scott

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That sounds terrific and let me tell you that she'd get lots of interested clients in very little time!

As for the events, not that many are held on the North coast. In Santiago and Jarabacoa there are several Paso Fino competitions every year but most are held in Santo Domingo or El Seibo for rodeo. I'll try to get the complete calendar from one of my friends and I'll let you know.

Have you friend contact me whenever she wants and I can accompany her to the Feria Ganadera in Santo Domingo and put her in contact with the breeders.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
KateP said:
That sounds terrific and let me tell you that she'd get lots of interested clients in very little time!

As for the events, not that many are held on the North coast. In Santiago and Jarabacoa there are several Paso Fino competitions every year but most are held in Santo Domingo or El Seibo for rodeo. I'll try to get the complete calendar from one of my friends and I'll let you know.

Have you friend contact me whenever she wants and I can accompany her to the Feria Ganadera in Santo Domingo and put her in contact with the breeders.
I am confident that she will do well locally. A friend of mine has Arabians that we are going to see towards the end of the month hopefully.

She told me she emailed you already so you two should be in touch by now. She is a hoot and interesting person so you should have a nice time with her other than your mutual enjoyment of horses.

Scott

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
horses

many thanks to everyone who responded. We have found a lovely lady whom we think will be afriend for ever. So we don't need any further information however Cows would be welcome + any other farm equipment and we are still looking for a good 35/45 kw generator

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Scott,

Thanks for the contact. I've already sent her several emails with info and I'm sure she'll find a wealth of horseflesh to her liking here...lol I'll pass on the horse events calendar as soon as I get it.

Katia

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
KateP said:
Scott,

Thanks for the contact. I've already sent her several emails with info and I'm sure she'll find a wealth of horseflesh to her liking here...lol I'll pass on the horse events calendar as soon as I get it.Katia
No problem. I am the networking king of the DR. That is with the people I don't piss off first!:) You ought to come to my 4th of July party in Sosua. It is actually on the 3rd but I figure we will hang out till the 4 rolls around. It would be nice for you to see the Nice Coast, I mean the North Coast:)

Escott,
Networker Extraudinaire

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Wales said:
many thanks to everyone who responded. We have found a lovely lady whom we think will be afriend for ever. So we don't need any further information however Cows would be welcome + any other farm equipment and we are still looking for a good 35/45 kw generator
Didn't shad help you out there? You should go to Cabrera and see him when you get to the country. He is a nice guy with a intellegent Dominican wife who is the brains of the operation:)

Scott