Looking for bookings

Joe_Nasty

May 30, 2004
Hey all--

I need some help and thought maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

I'm an established DJ here in Portland, OR. I'm coming down there to visit my sister from June 10-20. I'm planning on bringing some vinyl down with me because after missing a chance to play on the beach in Cabarete on my last trip there, I swore I'd never travel without my records again. I'd like to set up some bookings in Santo Domingo, Santiago, or Cabarete so I can get a chance to rock a party in another country for the first time.

Like I said, I'm well established, having shared stages with Angel Alanis, Donald Glaude, DJ Irene, DJ Icey, Sharaz, Charles Feelgood, MJ Cole, Skylab 2000, Mars, Mystere, Simply Jeff, Uberzone, Space Girl, Keoki, DJ Mea, among others. I focus mainly on breakbeat, with a good dose of hip-hop thrown in for good measure, and think I could work with any crowd, from an underground event to a posh club.

If anyone can, point me to some clubs to contact in any of the above mentioned areas. I've looked over Bonce.com and Bufeo.com, but as my spanish reading comprehension is at an all time low, they really don't do me any good.

Thanks and hope to see you on the dancefloor.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Joe_Nasty said:
Hey all--

I need some help and thought maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

I'm an established DJ here in Portland, OR. I'm coming down there to visit my sister from June 10-20. I'm planning on bringing some vinyl down with me because after missing a chance to play on the beach in Cabarete on my last trip there,

Sorry I can't help but I do have a question. Vinyl? Do you mean that figuratively or are they still using Vinyl in the DR?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I asked one of my sons, 'vynil' is slang for LP, and yes they're back, better sounding than CDs.

Mirador

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
from one old dj to other

It's been a while since I've gone to a club that has 12"s in it. So if you plan on spinning vinyl then you better bring your 1200's also. Most of the clubs here have converted to mp3 format and run their entertainment off PC's. You can still find a few that have dual Denon CD players but very few. Since most of the dj's here get paid very little, the mp3 format allows them the download current songs from the internet and not have to spend 150 pesos on a cd.

My advise to you is record your sets or 2 hours worth of tracks on cd-r and bring them with you. You will probably find alot more places to spin at then if you bring vinyl. Plus.....I don't know about you, but I don't think I would want to carry the extra weight around if I'm going on vacation.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
No offense Santana

santanatwins said:
It's been a while since I've gone to a club that has 12"s in it. So if you plan on spinning vinyl then you better bring your 1200's also. Most of the clubs here have converted to mp3 format and run their entertainment off PC's. You can still find a few that have dual Denon CD players but very few. Since most of the dj's here get paid very little, the mp3 format allows them the download current songs from the internet and not have to spend 150 pesos on a cd.

My advise to you is record your sets or 2 hours worth of tracks on cd-r and bring them with you. You will probably find alot more places to spin at then if you bring vinyl. Plus.....I don't know about you, but I don't think I would want to carry the extra weight around if I'm going on vacation.

Sorry but your reply is so out of date with the clubs here now regarding vinyl and the good DJs can name their price as my son and his friend both pros have discovered. BUT they have to be outstanding as some of the Dominican DJ's are good and will work for peanuts. Downloading current songs??????? any pro DJ will be laughing their socks off songs?????? :classic: :classic:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Check out http://809k.com

The owner is a very good friend of mine, send Carlos and email and he will hook you up. Make sure you tell him Robert from DR1 sent you his way.

He speaks fluent English and is cool guy.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
AnnaC said:
Sorry I can't help but I do have a question. Vinyl? Do you mean that figuratively or are they still using Vinyl in the DR?

Every DJ worth his salt uses Vinyl... Being a DJ is a complex artform...that's why some of them are world famous and sell out clubs... it's not as easy as just having a computer with some MP3's/

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I feel ancient as I have no idea who any of the artists he spins are. Vinyl, e.g actual record albums are still de rigeur in the DJ scene and the top albums (not just hip-hop) are available here in LP after many years of not being so.