Passport or Birth Certificate?

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
Hi there,

I have visited the DR a few times (most recently in 2002) and each time I was able to get into the country with my birth certificate. I recently stumbled across a website, however, that said you now must have a passport and that a birth certificate won't do. Is this true? I really hope not because I am coming again next week and do not have a passport.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Mike

vee

Mar 7, 2004
Mikefree5151 said:
Hi there,

I have visited the DR a few times (most recently in 2002) and each time I was able to get into the country with my birth certificate. I recently stumbled across a website, however, that said you now must have a passport and that a birth certificate won't do. Is this true? I really hope not because I am coming again next week and do not have a passport.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am Canadian and we traveled to the Dominican Republic in March/April of this year. I was able to enter the DR with a Canadian birth certificate and a photo ID.

HTH

vee

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The US strongly encourages its citizens to get a passport, especially in these days of Homeland Security, etc. The problem, if any, is not on our end, it is on your return end. But the legislation has not been changed in either direction and you can enter and legally return with your original birth certificate and photo ID (driver's license). You should consider getting a passport if you plan to continue traveling.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are a million things besides coming and going that a Passport could be needed for, for one thing even though it will got you through the airport your Birth Certificate is not considered a valid ID, and neither is your DL.

You will need a passport if you want to conduct any banking transactions (other than deposits) also I can imagine it would be handy if you got into any legal trouble.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I have travelled to DR many times using only my birth certificate and state id with no problem, the last time being Christmas. Coming home from one of my trips there was a group of Americans (at least I think they were) that didn't have birth certificates or passports for some reason. They were let into the country with the travel papers they had but ran into some trouble when they tried to leave. They did make their flight but the people who check your papers one last time before you board the plane made them wait so that they could double check the computers to see how they got into the country. So I don't think you'll have much of a problem unless they suspect you of wrong doing.

raylusion

Jun 1, 2004
I'm with You

;) I'm goin to DR also on June 4th American Airlines said that i'm ok as long as my bert cert is original and i have my ID(PRican licence)that I will be ok u should 2 good luck

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
Perfect!

Hey, thanks for all the info. I think we'll be fine for this trip - but I think I probably should get a passport once I get back. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. You all are great.
Mike