Wanting to work in DR, but need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
I want to go work in the Grand Paradise Bavero in Punta Cana but I need help! Can anyone help out a Canadian? :)

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
Ken said:
What do you mean by needing help?

I applied thrue the internet on there website, and never got a reply. I applied 3 times already and the last one I wrote I asked them to write me back to tell me if it would be possible or not to work at the resort. I'm woundering if anyone can help me to work at that resort or any other.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What position did you apply for? Hope you know that most positions in a hotel/resort pay very little.

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
What position did you apply for? Hope you know that most positions in a hotel/resort pay very little.

I applied for guest service or entertainement. I know they pay very little but as long I have enough to live on i'll be fine. I just think it would be a awesome experience. But no one really never told me how much they pay.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you sitting down? I hear most make around 100 to 150 US dollars a month. Can you live on that?

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Are you sitting down? I hear most make around 100 to 150 US dollars a month. Can you live on that?

The cost of living is way more cheaper then what one dollar in America would bring you. I know that there is an apartement for the workers who work there. I've been there and you room with 2 other people, it's not quite big but whatever. I would just wanna know for sure how that resort pay their workers. If I can't really live on that amount in DR well I won't go work at a resort. But I really want to go work there for a while but I can not think of a place where a Canadian can work. I find that Dominicans are very friendly and I just love there culture. I'm bored in my really boring city hi hi hi I wanna live and experience other things

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
A ?!!

Renee LeBlanc said:
The cost of living is way more cheaper then what one dollar in America would bring you. I know that there is an apartement for the workers who work there. I've been there and you room with 2 other people, it's not quite big but whatever. I would just wanna know for sure how that resort pay their workers. If I can't really live on that amount in DR well I won't go work at a resort. But I really want to go work there for a while but I can not think of a place where a Canadian can work. I find that Dominicans are very friendly and I just love there culture. I'm bored in my really boring city hi hi hi I wanna live and experience other things
I understand that you love the country and it's people but why would you like to live so much below your means?. I mean, to each their own, but to want to live like that is beyond me. Why would anybody be satisfied with having no money ever, living with 2 roomates while working almost all the time for just 4 or 5,000 pesos a month. I don't know about anybody else but I would spend much more that that in food a week!. But, by all means, go ahead and do it and I can guarantee that you will learn from your "good" experience.
By ther way, how old are you?, if you don't mind me asking.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It Is Not Enough

Renee LeBlanc said:

3 to a room or not you will be impoverished trying to get by on resort pay. Just personal necessities like tampons and shampoo etc., will break the bank. The men there will often be having sex with tourists or guests and can rake in a lot of money from "girlfriends" - you will not be able to do the same, not that you'd want to.

Your I met the sankie while cleaning up glasses post is as Anna told you, quite revealing of the real motive for this post, and you are making a big mistake.

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
I don't understand why it would be such a big deal wanting to live in DR for a while. Alot of people do it. I don't really want to go work at a resort. I just want to live in DR for a while, is that such a bad thing? If it is a bad idea to work at the resort, is'int there other places where I could work for a while? All I want is to travel the world and experience new things, why does that sound like such a crime?!?!?!?

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
miguel said:
I understand that you love the country and it's people but why would you like to live so much below your means?. I mean, to each their own, but to want to live like that is beyond me. Why would anybody be satisfied with having no money ever, living with 2 roomates while working almost all the time for just 4 or 5,000 pesos a month. I don't know about anybody else but I would spend much more that that in food a week!. But, by all means, go ahead and do it and I can guarantee that you will learn from your "good" experience.
By ther way, how old are you?, if you don't mind me asking.

19, now you going to give me a lecture that i'm too young and blind?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No, I am not!

Renee LeBlanc said:
I have my own kids to worry about, so, no lectures from me. Do as you please since you are getting an attitude. WE are responding to you because you said that you had applied to a RESORT and that you wanted to work there and that you would live with 2 other people in a small room. Now you are getting annoyed and are now saying that " I don't really want to work at a resort". Make up your mind. Please, do not answer to this post as per I am signing off on your thread!!. Roger and out!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Said It

Renee LeBlanc said:

You are young and blind and have nowhere near enough experience in the DR to make an informed decision. You are however an adult and can take whatever steps you want. Buy an open return, full fare ticket so you can get home when you are broke and fed up which may not take too long. I hope you are fluent in Spanish as well.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
If you seriously want to consider working in Guest Services, look in the classified section of this board and reply to an ad for animadores at Punta Cana Princess. They were looking for Guest Service Representatives a while ago and I don?t think they filled the position.

Make sure you send your CV in good English, some of your previous mails here were not spelled properly and were not grammatically correct. That?s not a crime here, but not to be recommended for a job application. Also make sure that you highlight any transferable skills that you have that make you a candidate to do this type of work. You also need to speak Spanish.

Until recently I worked for this hotel, the pay was 8000 pesos a month plus 1% tips. It?s a small hotel and very friendly. I did not live in the hotel accommodation so can?t comment on that except to say that it is not on site, it is at Fuisa.

I made many contacts whilst working at the hotel and was offered a much better job outside of the resort which is where I am now.

If you need to know more mail me, I will try to help.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Give the little girl a break. She seems to be suffering from Jungle fever. I bet all she wants to do is get laid by those lowlife resort servents and get her rocks off. Is there more to this than anyone seem to care?
Leave her alone and let her find out the reality.
Yeah girl, just follow your heart. Live your dreams. Life is too short to be spent being fat and lonely in your home town.
By the way, if you all haven't noticed, this is the same bimbo who has fallen for a cheap bartender in a punta cana resort (men from mars and women from venus section). These poor losers can't get action back in their own home town or probably can't find a low life hotel servent to go out with. This is what I mean by a trailor-trash mentality, even if you don't live in one. People are not created egual, this is a proof of it. Some people would always look for the ghetto quality friends, no matter where they go. Then act like a perfect victim after when the truth explodes on their face.
AZB

Last edited:

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
AZB said:
Give the little girl a break. She seems to be suffering from Jungle fever. I bet all she wants to do is get laid by those lowlife resort servents and get her rocks off. Is there more to this than anyone seem to care?
Leave her alone and let her find out the reality.
Yeah girl, just follow your heart. Live your dreams. Life is too short to be spent being fat and lonely in your home town.
By the way, if you all haven't noticed, this is the same bimbo who has fallen for a cheap bartender in a punta cana resort (men from mars and women from venus section). These poor losers can't get action back in their own home town or probably can't find a low life hotel servent to go out with. This is what I mean by a trailor-trash mentality, even if you don't live in one. People are not created egual, this is a proof of it. Some people would always look for the ghetto quality friends, no matter where they go. Then act like a perfect victim after when the truth explodes on their face.
AZB

Excuse me, but i'm not here to get insulted. I am happy to tell you that I am a virgin! So don't you dare call me a bimbo! I am not a looser by the way, and I am not a trailor park trash! I am a high school grad who is saving up to go to University to be a lawyer. I went thru alot in life by loosing my dad by suicide when I was 10 years old. I don't want your pitty if that's what you think i'm looking for! But it's just to show you that I AM A HUMAN BEING and I have feelings you know!!! I am not saying that I really want to go work at this resort I just want to work somewhere in DR. And your little line at the end that I act like a perfect victim, I am one. Cause I am not a bimbo, I did not have sex with him. So when you basically call me a slut that's pretty harsh!

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
miguel said:
I have my own kids to worry about, so, no lectures from me. Do as you please since you are getting an attitude. WE are responding to you because you said that you had applied to a RESORT and that you wanted to work there and that you would live with 2 other people in a small room. Now you are getting annoyed and are now saying that " I don't really want to work at a resort". Make up your mind. Please, do not answer to this post as per I am signing off on your thread!!. Roger and out!

I did not mean that in an insulting way. And if I have ofended you I am truely sorry. I am still answering to this post hoping you shall read it. All I want is to experience a different life style. Meet new people. I did not know how they pay at the resort, that is why I am changing my mind a bit on it. You only live your life once, I want to do alot of things that most people don't have the chance to do in life.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Renee LeBlanc said:
Excuse me, but i'm not here to get insulted. I am happy to tell you that I am a virgin! So don't you dare call me a bimbo! I am not a looser by the way, and I am not a trailor park trash! I am a high school grad who is saving up to go to University to be a lawyer. I went thru alot in life by loosing my dad by suicide when I was 10 years old. I don't want your pitty if that's what you think i'm looking for! But it's just to show you that I AM A HUMAN BEING and I have feelings you know!!! I am not saying that I really want to go work at this resort I just want to work somewhere in DR. And your little line at the end that I act like a perfect victim, I am one. Cause I am not a bimbo, I did not have sex with him. So when you basically call me a slut that's pretty harsh!

Renee... lesson #1 - ignore the insults on this board because if you don't have thick skin you just won't survive. Take heed in the advice given - people are just trying to warn you that a lot of girls/guys get taken for a ride when they fall in love or have a relationship with someone in the DR (and especially when one half of the couple works at a resort surrounded by the temptation to start a new "relationship" every week). Just be very careful.

If you really want to go live there, save enough money to sustain you for a few months while you look for a job once you get there - as it is extremely hard to find one before you go. If you don't find a job, you come home at the end of the two months and will have had a great experience.

Renee LeBlanc

May 31, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
Renee... lesson #1 - ignore the insults on this board because if you don't have thick skin you just won't survive. Take heed in the advice given - people are just trying to warn you that a lot of girls/guys get taken for a ride when they fall in love or have a relationship with someone in a long distance relationship (and especially when one half of the couple works at a resort surrounded by the temptation to start a new "relationship" every week). Just be very careful.

If you really want to go live there, save enough money to sustain you for a few months while you look for a job once you get there - as it is extremely hard to find one before you go. If you don't find a job, you come home at the end of the two months and will have had a great experience.

Thank you, I do have thick skin but that e-mail just kinda blew me away. I do not expect that guy to even remember me. Yeah I do miss him but i'm not stupid, I know I was'nt the first or the last girl who fell for him. I just want to have a experience of a life time to live in another Country.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go away and read everything on this board, sit down, think about what you have read and then come back and ask questions.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.