Reason to Be Concerned?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Friends who moved recently to the DR tell me they have a major problem with mosquitos in their home. Since we don't have this problem where we live, I asked what they thought the reason was. They replied that the home next door has a very large swimming pool that is not being used or maintained and appears to them to be a breeding ground for mosquitos. The owners aren't their, the house is occupied by an elderly relative, the pool is green, water not circulating, and nothing being done about chemicals.

My question as to do with the potential for dengue fever. Birdbaths, empty pots or pans filled with water, etc., are usually mentioned as the type of standing water that is a breeding ground for dengue mosguitos. Since the pool they described is also standing water, even though very large, is there risk that it, too, can be a breeding ground?

If so, what can these neighbors do to protect themselves?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
I would be very concerned about that. I am sure that you heard about all of the cases of West Nile Virus and various other things that people in the US have been contracting over the last several years from mosquitos breeding in similar habitats. Large pools, swamps, etc. are very dangerous. I don't know what they can do about it but they need to do something.

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its surprising to see that some people simply don't mind a million mosquitos flying around them at all. Some don't even feel the mosquito bites and others simply learn to live with them. In my case, a single mosquito can ruin my whole night. I just don't get it, how can you get used to mosquitos bites?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I have the same problem here - over the past few weeks I've been invaded by tons of mosquitos (and I'm on the 6th floor).

They come from a sedentary pool of water across the street in an abandoned construction lot.

I will be getting screens installed on windows that we keep open this week, and then the place will be fumigated. I'm really tired of dealing with them.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I know this is not the legal forum but if this is really troubling you and others as well then i feel obliged to suggest you take the following actions to solve the unwanted mosquito breeding ground problem:

1- If it affects one or more families, on behalf of all, try to personally get in touch with the owner of the breeding grounds so a solution can be raised, even if it means raising money to clean it, fumigate it, etc. If the owner is dodging or stalling the solution for too long then you should,

2- Craft up and deliver a letter signed by all affected parties to the owner of the mosquito grounds explaining the mosquito problem and its wanted solution. Have a copy of the letter received by whomever receives the original letter at the property where the breeding ground lies. If the owner still dodges or stalls the solution for too long then you should,

3- Hire a lawyer, give the received copy of the letter to the hired lawyer so that he/she can warn the owner to solve the mosquito problem or else it would be law 64-00 about Enviroment and Natural Resources on his/her ***.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have alot of lizards in my living room, they eat mosquitos. Sometimes in the morning they will eat mosquitos right off of my leg while the mosquito is eating me. If I could just find a way to eat a lizard at the same time, there could be a whole cyclic food chain thing going on.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MrMike said:
I have alot of lizards in my living room, they eat mosquitos. Sometimes in the morning they will eat mosquitos right off of my leg while the mosquito is eating me. If I could just find a way to eat a lizard at the same time, there could be a whole cyclic food chain thing going on.
Oh mr. mike, you have touched a very delicate subject. I hate lizzards. I had one fall on my bald head a few months ago. It scared the crap out of me. Imagine you are getting up off the bed and the damn thing falls on your head? Another time it fell on my shoulder when I was opening my front door. I screamed like a little girl in front of my new wife. She was laughing and rolling on the floor from witnessing my sissy reaction.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I know this is not the legal forum but if this is really troubling you and others as well then i feel obliged to suggest you take the following actions to solve the unwanted mosquito breeding ground problem:
1- If it affects one or more families, on behalf of all, try to personally get in touch with the owner of the breeding grounds so a solution can be raised, even if it means raising money to clean it, fumigate it, etc. If the owner is dodging or stalling the solution for too long then you should,

2- Craft up and deliver a letter signed by all affected parties to the owner of the mosquito grounds explaining the mosquito problem and its wanted solution. Have a copy of the letter received by whomever receives the original letter at the property where the breeding ground lies. If the owner still dodges or stalls the solution for too long then you should,

3- Hire a lawyer, give the received copy of the letter to the hired lawyer so that he/she can warn the owner to solve the mosquito problem or else it would be law 64-00 about Enviroment and Natural Resources on his/her ***.

An effective and less costly way is to hire a bum from the neighborhood and have him dump two or three gallons of chlorine bleach in the pool. If the owners sue you, which I doubt, get Dr. Vincho Castillo or Dr. Darta?an Perez to defend you.

Mirador

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let's see!!

Ken said:
what can these neighbors do to protect themselves?
I know it's not their problem but can your friends ask the lady to please clean the pool. If she does not have the money to do so, if I was them and wanted peace of mind and no fricking mosquitos eating me alive( and do all know how mosquitoes can carry all types of deseases), I would pay for it myself!!!!.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
ALL of above PLUS - Visit the local office of the Salud Publicos. Find the office responsible for Denghi &/or Malaria & tell him you are suffering from hot/cold flushes, have seen the doctor who suggests Malaria might be the problem & ask him to visit the prperty & TELL the occupant to get something done!!

As an added incentive to him, you could be doing some cooking when he arrives to investigate things, offer him something (like a cake) & say a batch will be delivered to the office when the problem has been resolved!! - Grahame.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Quick fix

In the dark of the night, dump a gallon or two of diesel fuel in the pool and slide back into the shadows, problem solved for future breeders. Get some bug spray for your house guests and remember only the female mosquitos bit.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I don't think the owners give a heck about the pool unless they are using it and the elderly relative does not have the resources and/or authority to clean it up. Therefore, the only way to resolve the matter is the Dominican way as Jerry K suggests. A quart of motor oil will provide a film over the water the mosquito larvae cannot escape. Just do it when the relative's attention is elsewhere.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ken: I know that you are a peaceful guy

But these folks have given you the solutions I would have provided. I am especially in agreement with Jerry's 2 gal of diesel fuel. that will save now and future problems.

AdrianB you could do the same thing with that pond next door.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Jerry K said:
...............Get some bug spray for your house guests and remember only the female mosquitos bit.

I wish you hadn't said that Jerry - I now have this vision of Ken going round & intimately inspecting all the mosquitoes he sees to see if it is a male or Female!! If it is male he will say "Okay, off you go friend" & for the female ..... "ZAP, you're dead"!!

Just as a point of interest, other than it biting you, how do you tell a female from a male?? - Grahame.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Here is what I used to do!

Here in the winter months when it gets to cool for the whirlpool I would through in one of those chlorine Hockey Pucks every month, at that time they cost Rd. 20.00 Pesos each.
That will do the trick and no one will know the difference but you!

Gringo

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Ken said:
Friends who moved recently to the DR tell me they have a major problem with mosquitos in their home. Since we don't have this problem where we live, I asked what they thought the reason was. They replied that the home next door has a very large swimming pool that is not being used or maintained and appears to them to be a breeding ground for mosquitos. The owners aren't their, the house is occupied by an elderly relative, the pool is green, water not circulating, and nothing being done about chemicals.

My question as to do with the potential for dengue fever. Birdbaths, empty pots or pans filled with water, etc., are usually mentioned as the type of standing water that is a breeding ground for dengue mosguitos. Since the pool they described is also standing water, even though very large, is there risk that it, too, can be a breeding ground?

If so, what can these neighbors do to protect themselves?

didn't you post this in the leagal forum? there is no need to post in more than one forum, people here generally read all the forums.

this is a waste of bandwith, read the forum rules