It's official: the DR exempted from hurricanes this season

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now that is a crock of

Cow doody!. This idiot does not have the qualifications, nor the experience to even hit at something so stupid.
How did he do all this? On a Commander 16 kb computer that he got from his grandfather? Gimme a break.

No thanks. Wouldn't it be great if we could that these assinine predictions and when one blows through here we go and string up the guy by his cojones???

HB

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
How dares he!!

How does he dare to put the Dominican people under the risk of assuming that no hurricanes will hit the DR this season!!!!????

Who's this man, Nostradamus?

I just hope that someone comes out SOON to tell Dominicans to get ready!! The lack of preparedness and ignorance is what kills people, not the wind or the rain...

GOD HELP US!!! :rolleyes:

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Mirador said:
... will be spared this season of any major storm or hurricane.

What about next year and the following years to come? Does his crystal ball fail on this?

Yes-Ok, is there someone looking after you?

Mirador said:
According to Mr. Jos? Duquela, Director of the Dominican National Meteorological Office the Dominican Republic will be spared this season of any major storm or hurricane.

"and he shall be called jack. And daniels shall he be called" Jack Daniels they shouted, well something like that...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Mirador said:
According to Mr. Jos? Duquela, Director of the Dominican National Meteorological Office the Dominican Republic will be spared this season of any major storm or hurricane.

I'm sure if this jerk was around at the time he would have piped in "the Titanic is unsinkable".

Is this guy a Meteorologist by presidencial decree? If the former is the case, it would explain his prognostication.

We should expect credible information from these people, not this crazy stuff.

Regards,
PJT

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
How it was done..........

He redefined "hurricane" as winds exceeding one million miles an hour.

Hockeyman200

Jun 25, 2004
You should still remain optimistic
Although a hurricane would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm sure most of the resorts have evacuation plans?.......Right??????...... I hope

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes. Stay Put

Hockeyman200 said:
Although a hurricane would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm sure most of the resorts have evacuation plans?.......Right??????...... I hope

They are built to withstand the winds and since there is nowhere to go that is stronger and thus safer you stay put and wait it out. Oh, yeah you do kiss your heinie goodbye during the stongest winds.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This guy should really keep these things to himself if he believes the DR will be spared. However, he has history to make him so sure of this.

Historically, Hurricanes hit the DR straight on (the major storms that wreck havoc from end to end on the island at least) every 20 years or so. The last major storm was George in 1998 and before that it was Hurricane David in 1979 and before that it was Hurricane San Zinon (or something like that) in 1930, which btw, allowed Trujillo to declare himself absolute ruler during the disaster period. The only problem is that once the country was rebuilt, he kept the title.

Back to the topic, he could rest assure that no major hurricane will hit the country because if history says anything, there is still enough time left between Georges and the next one.

However, climates are changing thanks to global warming. For example, last year there was a Hurricane in the southern Atlantic (south of the Ecuator) that hit a remote area of Brazil. If that doesn't surprise you, maybe this will. It was the first hurricane to form in the Southern Atlantic ever! There are no records of Hurricane there ever, not after the Europeanization of South America and not before Colonial times either because the wall paintings depicting major events by indians don't ever show presence of these storms, unlike in the Caribbean where they are very prevalant. So, taking that into consideration, that guy should keep his info to himself to avoid humiliations.

Also, last year there was a hurricane that form in the Caribbean during December, the first ever also!

Folks in NYC should also be on the look out, usually (if I remember correctly) they get a hurricane up there every 60 years or so. The last one was in the 1930s paralizing what was then the fastest growing city in the world, (ie. NYC).

And to finish, have anyone ever wondered how Taiwanese manage with the Hurricanes there (known as Typhoon in the Pacific)? I mean, the get up to 5 storms every year. So far this year, Taiwan has been hit twice with mega typhoons! Makes Florida's Hurricane history look like peanuts compared to Taiwan!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hockeyman200 said:

Dominican resorts did a phenomenal job during Georges. In fact, the storm battered the country in the last leg of September, by late October many resorts were up and running again! That shocked alot of folks, also not one tourist lost his/her life, though they were probably shaken, especially those in Punta Cana who experienced constant winds at 270 mph and wind gust exceeding 300 mph. Nowadays, if a hurricane comes our way and I can't leave the island quickly, I'll head to an AI myself!

Ironically, but typical. While Santo Domingo and the flat eastern part of the DR were swepted clean by the hurricanes (with millions of Coconut palms knocked down, now you know it was a monster since usually those are the toughest trees known to survive such storm with relative ease), the area of Puerto Plata was pretty much OK, with sunshine breaking through from time to time! And it was still pretty green, I remember when I went to Parque Mirador Sur in Santo Domingo after the storm, it looked like mid autumn in NYC with so many trees with their leaves stripped off. It was scarier to see the effect after the storm than experiencing the storm! Unbelievable. I also lost my dream car with a giant Ceiba tree that after 1,000 years decided to let one of its heavy branches fall on my beloved Maserati Spyder of the 1940s, a real classic. It was a gift from my father and boy I was devastated, but at least I made it alive, but I'll never forget that car and what it meant to me.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Obviously, you mean 'kph' not 'mph'

if those wind speeds were miles per hour, there would be nothing left.

offering to predict that no hurricane will hit the DR is just plain stupid.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Conchman said:
Obviously, you mean 'kph' not 'mph'

if those wind speeds were miles per hour, there would be nothing left.

offering to predict that no hurricane will hit the DR is just plain stupid.

No, I was talking MPH. It was a Category 5 hurricane, the strongest as they get. A miracle that alot of stuff survived, however, there were entire towns that were flattened down and small hamlets like Mesopotamia in San Juan de la Maguana province were completely erased from the map with human bodies being washed all the way down to the Caribbean coast in Azua and then being washed ashore all over the southern coast of the DR days after the storm. George was one of the worst storms to hit the Caribbean and it got stuck over Hispaniola for 2 days and a half because of the high mountain ranges slowing its path.

Hurricanes are no joke.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Nal0whs said:
No, I was talking MPH. It was a Category 5 hurricane, the strongest as they get. A miracle that alot of stuff survived, however, there were entire towns that were flattened down and small hamlets like Mesopotamia in San Juan de la Maguana province were completely erased from the map with human bodies being washed all the way down to the Caribbean coast in Azua and then being washed ashore all over the southern coast of the DR days after the storm. George was one of the worst storms to hit the Caribbean and it got stuck over Hispaniola for 2 days and a half because of the high mountain ranges slowing its path.

Hurricanes are no joke.

Hurricanes are no joke, but its kph, not mph. See http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D1.html

And for the kph of recent DR hurricanes, see http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh, I did not noticed that I made a type-o. I meant to say around 150mph with wind gust of up to 200 mph recorded. Keep in mind, wind gust last a few moments, the 150mph is how fast the constant wind was blowing at with an occasional wind gust reaching 200mph. It was still a strong storm which destroyed about 2/3 of all the bridges in the DR, half of the forest were damage and basically wrecked havoc nationwide, Puerto Plata area and Pedernales area being among the lucky areas hardly destroyed, compared to the rest of the country. I was surprised when I went to Altos de Chavon after the storm had hit a few weeks before, the entire coconut forest that used to border the eastern bank of the river (it was extremely beautiful) was reduced to two or three palms! Unbelievable!