Interesting reading RE: Ecuador

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I am currently sitting in an internet cafe in Quito, Ecuador after having spent 8 days touring the country by bus with my girlfriend (who met me here from DR). This was my first time in the country and I was very pleasantly surprised of how much we enjoyed the trip.

After being here and talking to some people here there are a lot of similarities between Ecuador and DR. Both countries have seen greatly reduced purchasing power and increased poverty in the past few years, both have had corrupt governments with low approval ratings, both have large masses of poor people as well as small sectors of rich (I had dinner with a family the first night that I met on the plane who had 1 of the biggest most beautiful apartments I ever saw), both have people fleeing into their countries adding to instability-poverty (Columbians to Ec. and Hatians to DR), both are affordable by US standards, and both are extremely beautiful with friendly people and with huge tourist potential.

I am now really pulling for the futures of both countries. I always give a "sales pitch" to people I meet about going to DR and I will now do the same for Ecuador - it is def. worth checking out (among other spots Ba?os and Cuenca are great).

On a side note - you can see Amelia Vega s face everywhere as she endorses phone service and other products here.

EmOnEy175

May 31, 2004
Ecuador Is Beautiful I Suggest If You Go Out There Go Check Out Salinas Beatiful Beaches And Great Food And You Should Also Check Out Guayaquil And The Sites And Gualapagos Is Also Beautiful Nice Food Nice Beaches And You Get To See The Tortugas And All The Other Animals Lol

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hlywud said:
I am contemplating November in the DR, and then Costa Rica in January, just to see it and have a change of pace.
I was there last March. I found it interesting although I went with a past girlfriend who was a pain in the Arse... The driving there will KILL YOU. Over boulder roads at 20 MPH for 70 miles at a time. Tough getting from San Jose to Manuel Antonio which I liked.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
EmOnEy175 said:
Ecuador Is Beautiful I Suggest If You Go Out There Go Check Out Salinas Beatiful Beaches And Great Food And You Should Also Check Out Guayaquil And The Sites And Gualapagos Is Also Beautiful Nice Food Nice Beaches And You Get To See The Tortugas And All The Other Animals Lol
Lets go and you can show me around. I had all on my list except for Gualapagos Islands. Difficult and expensive. I more want to see the country as a place to live not sight see.

Scott

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Escott said:
via a Dominican Slant. Ecuador was one of the countries on my list of places to check out along with the DR Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico. Guess this may be a Hispanic thing?

Scott, could you elaborate a little on comparisons between the DR and Panama? My brother wants to go to Panama to invest/retire, and I have been challenging him to check out the DR. Could you compare living in Sosua with a comparable town in Panama (if there is such a thing)? What makes the DR a better place to retire or what does the DR lack that Panama has? If I can get him to the DR we will be looking you up.

Bob H.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
appleman said:
Scott, could you elaborate a little on comparisons between the DR and Panama? My brother wants to go to Panama to invest/retire, and I have been challenging him to check out the DR. Could you compare living in Sosua with a comparable town in Panama (if there is such a thing)? What makes the DR a better place to retire or what does the DR lack that Panama has? If I can get him to the DR we will be looking you up.
Bob H.
Both countries are very similar. Panama is hotter than the DR which is a big negative. So hot in Panama City it is almost steamy. The place I liked in Panama was a town in the mountains called Boquete. I also liked Bocas del Toro on the water. Problem is that it is impossible to leave the country in one day. You need to take a plane to Panama City from David, and then go to a hotel for the night and go to the international airport in the morning. 2 days in and 2 days out. I live in Sosua. 8 minute to POP airport and 3 hours and 20 minutes to NY's JFK. Infrastructure is equivelent but Costa Rica is prehistoric compared to Panama and the DR. Residency is also less of a problem in the DR. Real Estate prices are similar. I like the people much better in the DR for openess and happyness. Panama may even be a bit more corrupt if that is possible. There is still some resentment towards Americans since we went in there and the past Generals are now taxi drivers but it doesn't show much.

If you have specific questions I will try to answer them. I have a bank account in Panama still.

Scott

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
More corrupt???

Escott said:
Both countries are very similar. If you have specific questions I will try to answer them. I have a bank account in Panama still.
Scott

Thanks Scott, that is good to know. Boquete and Bocas are 2 of the places he is checking into. Also a newer mountain development called Altos del Maria or something similar. Since my brother is the one doing the pushing for Panama, he probably has some questions. When we talk again I will see if he wants more info. In the meantime I am still leaning toward the North Coast of the DR. (I really found it hard to believe that the Panama Gov't. could be more corrupt after all I've read and seen in the DR). It seems the Panamanian economy is much more stable, but Maybe Leonel will fix that in the DR now that Hippo is out!

Bob H.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Just got to work from airport...

Escott said:
How much was it for your girlfriend to fly from the DR?

Scott

Aeropostal was $495.00 (including taxes) with stops in Aruba, Caracas, and Bogata (no transit visas needed for her).

It was a great place if you like the outdoors/history - hiking, fishing, horseback riding, rafting, ruins, museums, etc. I didn't get to Galapogos, Guayacil, or the beach. Have heard the beaches are nice but don't compare to DR or Costa Rica.

I averaged about $20/night in double hotel rooms that were actually nice and in good location.

Weather was a nice variation - 70's in days low 50's at night.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
appleman said:
Thanks Scott, that is good to know. Boquete and Bocas are 2 of the places he is checking into. Also a newer mountain development called Altos del Maria or something similar. Since my brother is the one doing the pushing for Panama, he probably has some questions. When we talk again I will see if he wants more info. In the meantime I am still leaning toward the North Coast of the DR. (I really found it hard to believe that the Panama Gov't. could be more corrupt after all I've read and seen in the DR). It seems the Panamanian economy is much more stable, but Maybe Leonel will fix that in the DR now that Hippo is out!

Bob H.
I also found myself with less going on in Panama than in the DR. Perhaps it is because I have a bigger and better network of people here. When I first landed on the North Coast I found Rockys for drinks and for breakfast and then dinners and I was introduced to lots of expats which was a big help to me. Best way to get my questions answered. When ever I go to Panama or Costa Rica I find the Expat bars and get my questions answered in 5 minutes of direct questioning. Expats are happy to help and answer questions. You should also tell your brother to read here because I have found DR1 the best source of info for the Dominican Republic in general.

I know what you mean about finding it hard to believe anyplace can be more corrupt than the DR but that was my observation and memory.

If you guys need any info about the DR you can email me also. I would be happy to share what I know and if I don't know it I will point you to who would be able to help you. The least I can do is to pass on the knowledge I gathered both here and at Rockys. Both DR1 and Marco at Rockys have made my life so much easier and Happier because of the sharing of knowledge and all offered for the most part without any strings. Some people here have hidden agendas but most do not.

I for some reason thought you lived in the DR. I haven't seen you post in a while though. Where in Panama is the new mountain development? Near the Costa Rica side also?

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris_NJ said:
Aeropostal was $495.00 (including taxes) with stops in Aruba, Caracas, and Bogata (no transit visas needed for her).

It was a great place if you like the outdoors/history - hiking, fishing, horseback riding, rafting, ruins, museums, etc. I didn't get to Galapogos, Guayacil, or the beach. Have heard the beaches are nice but don't compare to DR or Costa Rica.

I averaged about $20/night in double hotel rooms that were actually nice and in good location.

Weather was a nice variation - 70's in days low 50's at night.
Thanks Chris. I will stop in to say hi to your girlfriend when I get back and my daughter returns to the states.

You spent your whole time in Quito? While I have heard it is a nice place I would want to get around a bit more. I think I will do a few weeks there but I would like warmer weather. Ideas on a good time of year to go?

Tell me more about your trip.

Scott

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Escott said:
Tell me more about your trip.

Scott

Sure - a little later this afternoon I will (once I have caught my breath at work). I got around a lot of the country just more in mountains rather than beaches

appleman

Dec 18, 2003

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I checked out the site. Seems like a low end retirement community with small homes. The North Coast if so much more GREEN than that area and with lots more going on in my opinion.

Thanks for the links.

Scott