siad we would never come back but we are glad we did

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
Los terrannas

Hi to all ie Hillbilly and others that convinced us to try again.
We decided to return and after a little looking found what we feel is paradise, we had some trouble the first time in DR and said we would never return boy am i glad we did.
If i were to go to Tahiti and find aplace anyless inviting than the samana pernisular i would be pissed.
We flew into santo damingo and then to el portollo the weather wasn't good but from what we saw we were very impressed,l ooked like hawaii. Weather cleared the second day was full sun all week.
We stayed at the calibi Hotel right on the beach in los terranas the apartment was great really to big for the 3 of us a 1 bedroom would have been fine. Very clean everything we needed. The staff from booking to helping us book flights to info were great.
The beach well i gotta say was fantastic and the more we walked the better it got.
The resturant served fantastic food family style on the platter we eat there about 3 time every time was as good as the first. Also eat in town at a couple of diffrent places and i'd say the food and service were exalnt. We have a 5yrld son so eating out at the best of times and not disturbing other that may not have kids is always a challenge.
Every day i was up and out early to the back shop for pastries and bread and as an early riser it gave me something to do 10 min run along the beach and moto concho back. Suche salle was the bake shops name.
Diving was way better than we expected we were in the cayman island 5mnths ago and the quality of the reef was better than most we dove there Yep i know it's diffrent but dead coral isn't a selling point for me so DR is just as good tons of large sea fans and soft coral formations as good as i've seen. Critters yep there were tons from large stone crab to spotted drum moray ells to a lobster about 8lds. Quantaty of fish was good considering there isn't really any natural reserve so everything is fair game.
Sallena divers was the people we used. And at $25 compared to $80 in GC i only wished i'd had more time to dive.
Beaches well hard to start this part and not just go on and on. They are great felt like were ever we went it just got better from Playa Jackson to playa carlbri. Seemed like every bay we walked the next was more spectacular
seven mile beach don't have anything on you guys.
The town is very small just like we wanted there didn't seem to be any all inclusive places again what we wanted so if your looking for paradise close to home away from the hussle of the regular vacation spot a little remote without being dropped of on an island and told hey we'll be back in a week give it a try you won't be disapionted.
Hi to juniper and her husband regulars here we met in los terranas and we will be back in FEB to see the whales and stay longer so we can see more of a great island.
Once again thanks for changing our minds.
Terry-Nicki and Tanner

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Glad you had such a great trip, and thanks for reporting back.

February is a good month for whale watching. Try to go with Kim Beddall of Victoria Marine/Whale Samana. She is a Canadian expat who started whale watching in Samana Bay about 20 years ago and is the only one giving excursions who really knows and loves the humpbacks. http://www.whalesamana.com/

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Hi Terri, Nicki and Tanner:

Glad to hear you are back safe and sound at home.

It was a pleasure to meet you in Playa Colibri, especially your awesome son. And glad to hear you are coming back. Maybe we will see you in February. Try to come towards the end of Feb. when the whales sight seeing is better.

We are in Sto. Dom. this week but going back to LT this weekend.

Sonia and David (Juniper)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am so happy to read this

Congratulations on a fine report. I'll bet the 5 yr old had a wonderful time.

Now, it is almost time to get out and about and see more of the island. Spectacular diving up towards the Haitian border at Punta Rucia and Buen Hombre and Montecristi. Some inexpensive accomodations, good people up that way.

All the best on your next trip.

HB :) :) :)