To people that lives in DR please advice

marielis

Jun 1, 2004
Hi to all and thanks in advance,

My board name is Marielis. I am thinking about moving to DR and would like your opinion. Will try to make a very long story short.

I moved from Florida to Puerto Rico to live with my mother and siblings after got very sick. After three years of pain and suffering I finally were able to be treated by a great doctor that has been helping me a lot. Now I am trying to become independant again.

Due to my illness I need help cleaning, washing my clothes and more than anything else cooking...need to follow a special diet rich in vetables specially green ones.

Since my income is quite limited and it would be impossible to pay house, utilities and domestic help here were I live, I was thinking maybe I could live in DR.

If I move I would need to be close to supermarkets, good hospitals, etc. if possible not too close to high traffic roads.
would also need a one bedroom apartment in a quiet neighborhood, good electricity and water supply. also telephone and regular internet connection.

My questions for you:
What would be the minimum amount of income I need to be able to afford the mentioned above?

What neighborhoods should I look at?

If I choose to move for let say two month, where may I rent a place? and

how do I find domestic help that I can trust in DR?

Thank you so much for your help!!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Cleaning angels!

You can find domestic help for very cheap down here, for about 3000 pesos (around 60US$, sad but true) you can have a lady working for you Monday ? Saturday (Sundays are usually their day off). She can sleep at your house if you have a ?cuarto de servicio? or come in everyday, but they do prefer to stay over (to avoid having to pay transportation everyday). She will do everything from cleaning, cooking, washing, ironing, shopping, and keep you company. The best way to find one is by recommendations, find a friend here who has a cleaning lady and they usually have a sister or cousin that are looking for work! If you?re as lucky as I was, you can find a young lady who will have your house sparkling clean and someone you can really trust! For the apartments you would need to look at the local newspaper online!
Listin Diario, Diario Libre, Periodico Hoy.

Good Luck! :cheeky:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Don't mean to discourage you but Santo Domingo is one big traffic jam. I would say it's almost impossible to get to a supermarket or hospital without having to get into traffic jams. Yes, there are quiet neighbourhoods, but as soon as you leave them, the noise starts. My best guess for housing would be around RD$8000+ unfurnished and RD$10000+ furnished for something relatively small, if you want it close to the commercial areas. I personally would recommend looking into Bella Vista, Los Cacigazcos, Los Prados, El Millon, Evaristo Morales, more or less those areas. They've got several supermarkets (El Nacional, Multicentro, Bravo, La Cadena) close by and are relatively close to hospitals. As for renting out an apartment only for a couple of months, that might be more complicated. Due to the insecure economy right now, not many people are willing to do that.

My suggestion is keep posting on this website and I'm sure that someone will pop up with an option. Also give an idea of how much you have available to spend on rent so that you can narrow it down a bit. As for extras (telephone, internet, etc) that is always negociable with the owner and in this country everything that's related to communications is very advanced.

Hope this helps!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Marielis,

I suggest you do more research on the D.R. even visit for a short while, before you submit yourself to the rigors of life here. Even for unchallenged people a support structure of friends and family is needed to survive comfortably. It would be difficult to fill all your needs here, ("close to supermarkets, good hospitals, etc. if possible not too close to high traffic roads. would also need a one bedroom apartment in a quiet neighborhood, good electricity and water supply. also telephone and regular internet connection"). There are two strikes against you already on your wish list, the country has poor electrical and water distribution. Again, do more research.

I wish you good luck, whatever you decide.

Regards,
PJT

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
How can you!!

KateP said:
My best guess for housing would be around RD$8000+ unfurnished and RD$10000+ furnished for something relatively small, . I personally would recommend looking into Bella Vista, Los Cacigazcos, Los Prados, El Millon, Evaristo Morales, more or less those areas!
I believed she said that she can not spend too much money. How can you recommend thoses places to live, specially El Millon to someone that off the bat said that she is looking for something cheap. There are nice homes for much less than the 8,000 pesos that you mentioned. How do I know?, because I rent a very nice 3 bedrooms house in a very nice neighborhood, that happens to be very quiet and it's near everything for much less than that, much less. That there are apartment and houses that are more expensive, or course, but she DID mentioned that she has a limited income. Just like I am renting so low, there are others that are renting for even lower. My friend is moving this week to a 3 bedrooms apt for less than 4,000 pesos. Marielis, you can get a very nice apt for much less than 8,000 pesos. They are there, you just need to be patient and you will find it.

marielis

Jun 1, 2004
To Juanita, Kate P and PJT: Thank you!!!

Hi,

Thank you so much to you all. I was afraid no one would stop by to answer my post...glad you did stop by :).

Juanita, very good information. The domestic help, you said, can be found cheap at about US$60.00, is this weekly salary? Do I need to provide insurance (health or unemployment) or any other benefits?

KateP, you brought up very important issues. How bad are the traffic jams, like one hour bumper to bumper thing all the time or are days and hours where there is almost none? You see where I live I learn not to go anywhere around 3:00pm to 4:30pm, would it be possible to do something like that in DR? I would rather have an unfurnished apartment probably around $US300 monthly Do you know if when rentig the basic contract is for a year? and last, when you said that telephone and internet are negotiable, does this means that it could be included in the rent?

PJT yes am doing more research and I would go one or two times before making a decision. Those are very good advices that I HAVE to follow or would be heading for trouble. PJT you mention that DR has poor water and electricity distribution, does this mean that there are areas where the water/electicity is good and in some areas it is bad?
if so, in what areas it is good or where should I be looking for to get the best possible service?

At this point I am just deciding if moving to DR is financially possible and you all have helped me a lot, can'nt wait to see the answers to this new set of questions. If it is financially possible then the next step would be if it will benefits my health, last for how long will I move a year...for ever (doubt it :). Then, if dicide to move the real research will start...

Thanks! Muchas Gracias!!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ok, let's see if I can do this in an organized way. The traffic jams are worse from 7:30am to 9:00am, 11:30am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 7:00pm more or less. So in short, the only time you can get around without any traffic is after 10:00pm basically. There are just too many cars and not enough streets. Add in all the potholes and you've got one major mess. That's why I'm desperate to move to Punta Cana. There's almost nothing there but at least there's no traffic. Peace and quiet...ahhh...

As for the rent, with US$300 you'll do fine. That's almost double what I pay and I live in a good neighbourhood but in a small apartment. One important detail is that foreigners are the preferred tenants in this country because we have the reputation of paying on time. So use that to your favor. Like I said, you can negociate to be added to the rent the building maintenance (varies according to the building but usually is around RD$400-800/month), electricity (a bit more complicated), water (easy), cable (pretty easy) and telephone (if you're lucky). Normally the contracts here are for 1 year but with the economy like it is, there are lots of apartments available and some people might be willing to accept that. Another important detail is that they'll probably charge you from 1-3 months deposit and if an agent found the apartment for you, you might end up paying the value of 1 month's rent as commission. All depends on the owner and your luck. Like I said, I would suggest asking DR1 people for help in finding an apartment. A friend of mine has a furnished one but she's asking US$550 for it... might be an option...

Good luck!

marielis

Jun 1, 2004
thank you!!

Hi,

Thanks Miguel that sounds very good, I appreciate your advice.

KateP thank you so much for answering my second post so promptly.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"Juanita, very good information. The domestic help, you said, can be found cheap at about US$60.00, is this weekly salary? Do I need to provide insurance (health or unemployment) or any other benefits?"

Ahhh! US$60 is the monthly salary dear! You don't need to provide anything else than the food she eats when working at your house, that is it! You have to understand that the ones are employ are mostly poor girls coming from Haiti looking for a better life. Of course if you employ one referred to you by an agency it will be more expensive. And for this I try to help mine in different ways; I buy her French/English study books, clothes, diapers, milk and medicine for her baby and extra cash if I have her do some extra work! Also this fall I plan to pay the inscriptions for her to take some classes on weekends. Every December she gets double pay and a raise! That should cover it!! :D

marielis

Jun 1, 2004
To Juanita

Wow, $60.00 a month! What you are doing to help her is admirable...if I decide to move I will do the same.

Thanks!

marielis

Jun 1, 2004
To Miguel

Hi Miguel,

I was re-reading the posts this morning and a few questions came to my mind when reading your post.

How do you and your friend found your houses? Where should I be looking for this houses The Listin newspaper?
Do these lower price apartments and houses have good water and electricity?
For what I have been reading about DR it is customary not to pay the asking price for lot of things, does this applies to apartments/houses for rent? If so, what is the appropiate approach to this? Maybe asking a 10% discount from original rent...20%?

Hope I am not asking too much :) Thank you for your help.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
miguel said:
I believed she said that she can not spend too much money. How can you recommend thoses places to live, specially El Millon to someone that off the bat said that she is looking for something cheap. There are nice homes for much less than the 8,000 pesos that you mentioned. How do I know?, because I rent a very nice 3 bedrooms house in a very nice neighborhood, that happens to be very quiet and it's near everything for much less than that, much less. That there are apartment and houses that are more expensive, or course, but she DID mentioned that she has a limited income. Just like I am renting so low, there are others that are renting for even lower. My friend is moving this week to a 3 bedrooms apt for less than 4,000 pesos. Marielis, you can get a very nice apt for much less than 8,000 pesos. They are there, you just need to be patient and you will find it.

She also did mention that she was willing to spend around US$300... that means that she can get something better than what I've got and with that amount I'm sure there's something that can pop up in nicer neighbourhoods. El Million is expensive, I'm not saying that it's cheap. What I basically meant is that if she's looking for quiet, then in those areas it's pretty quiet and close to everything. In what area are the homes you're talking about for RD$8000? If it's nearby then I'm renting one today!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Too good to be true!!

KateP said:
She also did mention that she was willing to spend around US$300... that means that she can get something better than what I've got and with that amount I'm sure there's something that can pop up in nicer neighbourhoods. El Million is expensive, I'm not saying that it's cheap. What I basically meant is that if she's looking for quiet, then in those areas it's pretty quiet and close to everything. In what area are the homes you're talking about for RD$8000? If it's nearby then I'm renting one today!!
I rent my house for much less than RD 6,000 and it's located in Urbanizacion Bello Campo by Charles De Gaulle. That I can make more, of course but I rather rent cheap to a friend than to rent it expensive to someone that will not take care of my house. The house next door is rented for RD 6,000. By the way, it has water all the time, light almost all the time and it's very, very quiet. And it has a car garage. Codetel and supermarkets are a walking distance. Anybody care to make me an offer I can not refuse???????. By the way, a friend rents a house in EL MILLON for RD 14,000 and my house has less problems. ANNNNNND, everything in my house is brand new. Everything!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
It's hard!

marielis said:
Hi Miguel,

I was re-reading the posts this morning and a few questions came to my mind when reading your post.

How do you and your friend found your houses? Where should I be looking for this houses The Listin newspaper?
Do these lower price apartments and houses have good water and electricity?
For what I have been reading about DR it is customary not to pay the asking price for lot of things, does this applies to apartments/houses for rent? If so, what is the appropiate approach to this? Maybe asking a 10% discount from original rent...20%?

Hope I am not asking too much :) Thank you for your help.
It will be a little hard for you. The reason that it's easy for me is because I have many friends in the DR. I would just have to call them and they would look for whatever I need. Do you have anybody that lives there that can help you. Send a pm to Robert and maybe he can refer you to someone that he knows.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
miguel said:
I rent my house for much less than RD 6,000 and it's located in Urbanizacion Bello Campo by Charles De Gaulle. That I can make more, of course but I rather rent cheap to a friend than to rent it expensive to someone that will not take care of my house. The house next door is rented for RD 6,000. By the way, it has water all the time, light almost all the time and it's very, very quiet. And it has a car garage. Codetel and supermarkets are a walking distance. Anybody care to make me an offer I can not refuse???????. By the way, a friend rents a house in EL MILLON for RD 14,000 and my house has less problems. ANNNNNND, everything in my house is brand new. Everything!!

Yeh, but you're on Charles de Gaulle!! That's almost considered outside Santo Domingo... gimme a break... how many good hospitals do you have around there? I wouldn't go to the Dario Contreras if my life depended on it! I know that on that side of the bridge there are many cheap apartments and houses but I lived for 3 years on Carretera Mella and Ensanche Isabelita and I wouldn't go back to living there for nothing. Ok, it's a bit better now with the new bridge, the tunnel and the supermarkets but it's still not at a comfortable distance for someone who'll be following medical treatments... don't you think?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What is your problem!!

KateP said:
Yeh, but you're on Charles de Gaulle!! That's almost considered outside Santo Domingo... gimme a break... how many good hospitals do you have around there? I wouldn't go to the Dario Contreras if my life depended on it! I know that on that side of the bridge there are many cheap apartments and houses but I lived for 3 years on Carretera Mella and Ensanche Isabelita and I wouldn't go back to living there for nothing. Ok, it's a bit better now with the new bridge, the tunnel and the supermarkets but it's still not at a comfortable distance for someone who'll be following medical treatments... don't you think?
I am giving her advices on what I know and not on what you know. Do you know the WHOLE Charles De Gaulle?. Around were I have my home, there are at least 5 clinics within walking distances, The Gigante supermarket is real near, codetel is 2 blocks away, the police precint is also very near. Just because you don't go to Hospital Dario Contreras does not mean that she should not go. My brother is being treated as an off patient at that hospital and my entire family is happy with the treatments. By the way, the person that I rent to, moved from El mirador Del Sur, and she says that her new neighborhood is 50 times better than El Mirador Del Sur, and some people think that EMS is a nice place to live!!!!!!!.
Oh shi*, you know what, I missed the part where you said that you lived in Carretera Mella and Ensanche Isabelita, if you are trying to compare those 2 places to where I have my home, senorita, I have nothing else to tell you!

marielis, please see if you know someone in the DR that would better help you. It seems to me that some of us are offering you a mis-service instead of helping you. If you want, send me a pm and I will give you the phone number of a friend of mine that has a real estate agency over there. You would need to call him. Roger and out!!!!

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
miguel said:
I am giving her advices on what I know and not on what you know. Do you know the WHOLE Charles De Gaulle?. Around were I have my home, there are at least 5 clinics within walking distances, The Gigante supermarket is real near, codetel is 2 blocks away, the police precint is also very near. Just because you don't go to Hospital Dario Contreras does not mean that she should not go. My brother is being treated as an off patient at that hospital and my entire family is happy with the treatments. By the way, the person that I rent to, moved from El mirador Del Sur, and she says that her new neighborhood is 50 times better than El Mirador Del Sur, and some people think that EMS is a nice place to live!!!!!!!.
Oh shi*, you know what, I missed the part where you said that you lived in Carretera Mella and Ensanche Isabelita, if you are trying to compare those 2 places to where I have my home, senorita, I have nothing else to tell you!

marielis, please see if you know someone in the DR that would better help you. It seems to me that some of us are offering you a mis-service instead of helping you. If you want, send me a pm and I will give you the phone number of a friend of mine that has a real estate agency over there. You would need to call him. Roger and out!!!!

I think Miguel is right! You have to be a bit more creative and open minded to find a neighborhood here in the city. I live in an area that is not considered ?high class?, I found a 2 bedroom with a humongous fenced backyard, 5 minutes from the Mirador and pay only $5000 a month. I never feared for my safety and I can?t even tell when the electricity goes off cause my inverter jumps right in! My 3 year old goes to a small school 2 streets away, where I pay only $900 a month; she?s learning English, she writes her numbers up to 13 and starting to read and write (in Canada she would still be playing dolls). In case of emergency I go to Clinica Independencia 2 minutes away, where I never had to wait to be attended. Now if I would be living on the other side of the park Mirador, I would pay 20,000 for rent, 8,000 for school and would wait in line at the emergency! Now which neighborhood would you choose?? :dead:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
miguel said:

Fine, whatever. If you're happy I'm happy.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
juanita said:
I think Miguel is right! You have to be a bit more creative and open minded to find a neighborhood here in the city. I live in an area that is not considered ?high class?, I found a 2 bedroom with a humongous fenced backyard, 5 minutes from the Mirador and pay only $5000 a month. I never feared for my safety and I can?t even tell when the electricity goes off cause my inverter jumps right in! My 3 year old goes to a small school 2 streets away, where I pay only $900 a month; she?s learning English, she writes her numbers up to 13 and starting to read and write (in Canada she would still be playing dolls). In case of emergency I go to Clinica Independencia 2 minutes away, where I never had to wait to be attended. Now if I would be living on the other side of the park Mirador, I would pay 20,000 for rent, 8,000 for school and would wait in line at the emergency! Now which neighborhood would you choose?? :dead:

All I meant to say is that for the amount she's got available, she could find something ver centric and quiet like she was asking for. I don't have any problem against any neighbourhood, I've lived all over the place. I've lived in 2 "barrios" that were very hot and nothing ever happened to me. All I tried to do was give her what I considered were the best options according to what she was look for. That's all. I'm sorry if I ticked people off...