What can i take and what can i not take to Europe?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hi guys. I'm now in SD and i was asked to bring back to Scandinavia a liter of whiskey *preferrably Jack Daniels but Johnnie Walker will do* I'll be flying back at the end of the month and since i have no previous experience with bringing alcohol i have some questions:

What's better: 1) to buy the whiskey in any shop before the trip and take it in my hand baggage OR 2) to buy it at the tax free shops in the airport?

If #1 chosen, would i have any problems with Air France and/or the people at customs? Would i have to tip the people at customs so they don't take the whiskey (or my digital camera which is worth more than everything i brought)?

If #2 chosen, how much more expensive that could be, if you compare it to buying in a regular shop?

Any other tips/thoughts you could tell me are very welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

mariel

PS: does anybody know where i can find JD?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Expensive Liquor

mariel said:
Hi guys. I'm now in SD and i was asked to bring back to Scandinavia a liter of whiskey *preferrably Jack Daniels but Johnnie Walker will do*

What's better: 1) to buy the whiskey in any shop before the trip and take it in my hand baggage OR 2) to buy it at the tax free shops in the airport?

If #1 chosen, would i have any problems with Air France and/or the people at customs? Would i have to tip the people at customs so they don't take the whiskey (or my digital camera which is worth more than everything i brought)?

If #2 chosen, how much more expensive that could be, if you compare it to buying in a regular shop?

You will find imported and quite heavily taxed American liquor in SD to cost a lot more than in the US, so the duty free shops as you leave are likely to be cheaper but they are no great deal either, but probably less than a store in the capital.

Air France won't care if you have liquor - there are about 10 duty free shops in the SDQ airport selling booze and cigars and they exist to do what you are asking. The airline won't care a bit. They may even sell duty free on the plane - some airlines do that.

There is no customs inspection when you leave the DR, just carry-on security where they X ray your carry on luggage. In any case the duty free shops are AFTER that inspection, in the departure areas of the terminal.

Of two bad choices (vs. buying very inexpensive and high quality Brugal or Barcelo rum to take back to your home) the duty free shops are probably cheaper and you can shop after you have cleared all the exit formalities.

Next time, it might be cheaper to check the duty free when you LEAVE home and buy it , bring it with you to the DR, and then take it back. By way of example, the Miami airport duty free shops are MUCH cheaper to buy on the way in than the DR shops are likely to be on the way out.

FYI : Jack Daniels is sour mash American whisky made mostly from corn and Johnnie Walker is scotch whisky made from malt and peat flavour and are two totally different things.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Checking valuables

mariel,

Do not put anything of value in the luggage you check, they do inspect those bags. Bring along a small carry on to put all of your valuables in! When I returned home from the DR this spring there was an inspection sticker on the outside of my bag, and a missing CD player from the inside. Not any big deal, because it was a very inexpensive one (less than $20) that I had purchased for this trip. Luckily for me all of my ?real? valuables were in my carry on.

Joe

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not Liquor Anyway

I note she said it would be in her hand baggage and regardless of value glass bottles in checked luggage is a recipe to have all your clothes smell like a ginmill.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
ricktoronto said:
I note she said it would be in her hand baggage and regardless of value glass bottles in checked luggage is a recipe to have all your clothes smell like a ginmill.

or vodka-melon ..... :dead: :(

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ricktoronto said:

Best option is to buy them at the duty free shop closest to your destination. On your way to Sweden, it is possible you will make a stopover in some European airport. I would purchase them there. It is best to do so because you will have to carry them less and the prices could be better on Scotch whisky in Europe duty free shops than in DR duty free shops.

I agree with RickToronto... the last thing you want to do is carry glass bottles in checked luggage.

I would add to avoid even carrying it in carry on hand luggage. Once had the bad experience of a breaking limoncello bottle. Now I have a cookbook -- that was also in the bag -- with the lingering smell of limoncello...

Regarding the question of the digital camera --- cameras do not pay duty at any airport. They are considered duty free personal items.

Last edited:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Sorry, I guess I wasn't all that clear on the point of my post. She mentioned that she had a digital camera, and I suspect other valuable things. So the point wasn't so much about the bottles but simply some good advise. My responce was more to her (Any other tips/thoughts you could tell me are very welcome) statement.

Joe

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks everyone for your inputs :classic: . I will take them into consideration.

I'll either buy the whiskey here or in Paris, where i'll be at least 4 hrs. That i haven't decided yet as i leave in 2 weeks.

Friends of Uncle Jack

mariel said:
Thanks everyone for your inputs :classic: . I will take them into consideration.

I'll either buy the whiskey here or in Paris, where i'll be at least 4 hrs. That i haven't decided yet as i leave in 2 weeks.

In Norway a 0,70 Jack Daniels will cost you ca 350-400nkr in the shop. :eek:. Im not sure what the price are in Sweden or Denmark- but It is problaby less expensive there because of their membership in EU.

Every time i bring along glass bottles, i have them in my hand luggage. Have never had any problem. Just had problems when i have been so bored on the plane- and starting to drinking the the booz. But thats another story.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
lol rattus - i don't get that bored. thanks for your input and hej granne! oh i just saw on the web, JD 0.70cl costs 295 sek.

i don't recall having seen JD at Paris - CDG but then again i wasn't looking for it either. They do sell Johnnie Walker in the plane but in very small sizes. I saw yesterday at Multicentro Churchill from 35 *i think!* to 75 cl of Johnnie Red Label and then the biggest size i've ever seen: 4.5 litre of Johnnie Black Label...

Rattus_Rattus said:
In Norway a 0,70 Jack Daniels will cost you ca 350-400nkr in the shop. :eek:. Im not sure what the price are in Sweden or Denmark- but It is problaby less expensive there because of their membership in EU.

Every time i bring along glass bottles, i have them in my hand luggage. Have never had any problem. Just had problems when i have been so bored on the plane- and starting to drinking the the booz. But thats another story.