Language barrier???

Edwardo

Jun 1, 2004
My fiancee and I are honeymooning in August in Caberete and are considering renting a car and exploring on our own. If by chance we get lost (when we get lost!!), will the language barrier be a problem for us, since our understanding of the language is minimal. Also, can anyone suggest any interesting day trips that we could explore.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Language barrier for sure...

I can't suggest anything at this point but yes I think language is and WILL be a barrier in any part of the DR that is not a designated tourist area/ or resort.

I hope others will give their opinion.

Edwardo said:
My fiancee and I are honeymooning in August in Caberete and are considering renting a car and exploring on our own. If by chance we get lost (when we get lost!!), will the language barrier be a problem for us, since our understanding of the language is minimal. Also, can anyone suggest any interesting day trips that we could explore.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would not recommend driving in the DR unless you have driven in other countries before and are used to some of the crap that goes on. Cabarete is easy but once you go into town in Puerto Plata or Santiago it could get very tricky. The language thing can be overcome as long as you know the names of the places you want to go (and you have patience asking many for directions many times over). Dominicans are not very good in giving driving direction instructions so you will have to have some patience and ask many times. Make sure you learn some basic words like left, right, and straight in spanish.

Of course, if you are skilled in using maps than this will help also, but don't count on all roads being marked.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Language will not be a problem. Get a hold of written directions of where you are going and a good map and have someone circle where you will be going on the map. Then just ask, ask and ask along the way. Dominicans are world known for being friendly and helpful. And the likelihood of someone knowing English is very high.

We have traveled worldwide to countries where we do not know the language -- Japan, Italy, France and Greece, for example, and it makes a world of difference to go by car, or by public transport, not taxis.

Just take this bit of advice: Ask when you think you are going in the wrong direction, and also ask when you think you are headed in the right direction.

Go for it. Renting a car is the best way to go. Just do as we do when we travel... even when renting in the US... we take out all the insurance one can take so in case of any problem, the problem is left with the insurance company, and rent with a reputable company.

Of course, if you do get lost, you can always hire a motoconcho to show the way to where you are going. Or any friendly driver on the road may head you in the right direction.

Going by car you can explore Cofresi, Luperon (La Isabela), Playa Dorada, Sosua, Cabarete and then head out to Playa Grande all on your own. See info on these destinations in the travel section. http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Believe it or not there are plenty of Dominicans that speak English. I never had a problem getting around and have been all over the country. As long as you can pronounce Cabarete or where ever you are going it is a breeze. I speak chicken Spanish and have even translated for others but I would never say I am fluent. Hell I can't even repeat or mimic half the words that come out of a lot of Dominican mouths so how the hell can I understand the words!

I would go to Sosua and Puerto Plata first. Then I would check out Confresi which is just past Puerto Plata and go to the Dolphin Park there. Conchman can probably tell you a bit more about it than I can. If you guys really want to travel, I would head towards Playa Grande, Las Terenas and Samana. All trips are within 4 hours and some as little as 15 minutes. You can even rent car with driver which is something I would advise.

Scott