Jimani Tragedy

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I just want to throw my observations out there for discussion on this topic. Obviously the Jimani disaster of last week was horrendous for many on the Island of Hispanolia as well as relatives/friends who are grieving worldwide. I have cried over pictures of this tragic but inevitable event.

I have spoken to some of my friends in the DR over the past week about this issue and they seem to be dealing with it in typical Dominican fashion - it is sad but we will go on. I think Dominican people are blessed with the grace of handling tragedies such as this in stride. They are some of the strongest people I have met (soulwise).

I live in Toronto and have scoured the paper daily to find coverage on the deaths in Jimani only to find minimal coverage, if any.

Why is it that when tragedies or mass deaths such as this happen in third world countries, they are swept under the rug so to speak by the world (especially first world) community. Sure Canada/USA/Europe will send their token forces to "help" clean up but this "natural" disaster is already being forgotten.

My observation is that if a tragedy or mass deaths (now over 1,000) such as this from natural causes were to happen in say North America or Europe... it would be remembered for months if not years and would receive the worldwide coverage it deserves. Why is it that when a country does not benefit from the same economic status as others, its tragedies seem less severe to the world community when in fact the people of countries such as the Dominican Republic have far fewer resources of dealing with the fallout?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fiesta Mama, I am surprised it has fallen off the news agenda in Canada. In Europe it is still more or less dominating news coverage, it is usually among the top 5 news stories. As long as there is something new to say, like the arrival of the UN Haiti peacekeeping force, the media will continue to report on it. As natural disasters in the third world go, it has had a pretty good run, if you can call it that. My observations are not scientific, but in my estimation it is on a par with the coverage that Hurricanes Georges and Mitch got in 1998, and that the catastrophic earthquakes in Colombia, El Salvador, Turkey and Iran received over the last few years.

I do agree, however, that had such a thing happened in a 'northern' country it would have received even more attention. Something to do with empathy. We are used to seeing people in poor countries as victims and are more shocked at the sight of 'people like us' in that situation. Compare the coverage the war in former Yugosavia - especially the siege of Sarajevo, where 'people like us' were experiencing extreme suffering - got in comparison to equally tragic but mostly ignored conflicts in, say, Africa.

Chiri

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't forget how many Canadians vacation in the DR. There is very little in the press that would affect tourism. My family still don't know about the earthquake.
We sent aid what more can be said when there is so much to report from overseas.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Chiri

Chirimoya said:
Fiesta Mama, I am surprised it has fallen off the news agenda in Canada. In Europe it is still more or less dominating news coverage, it is usually among the top 5 news stories. As long as there is something new to say, like the arrival of the UN Haiti peacekeeping force, the media will continue to report on it. As natural disasters in the third world go, it has had a pretty good run, if you can call it that. My observations are not scientific, but in my estimation it is on a par with the coverage that Hurricanes Georges and Mitch got in 1998, and that the catastrophic earthquakes in Colombia, El Salvador, Turkey and Iran received over the last few years.

I do agree, however, that had such a thing happened in a 'northern' country it would have received even more attention. Something to do with empathy. We are used to seeing people in poor countries as victims and are more shocked at the sight of 'people like us' in that situation. Compare the coverage the war in former Yugosavia - especially the siege of Sarajevo, where 'people like us' were experiencing extreme suffering - got in comparison to equally tragic but mostly ignored conflicts in, say, Africa.

Chiri

Are you Bosnian?

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Are you serious?

Chiri

Quite, based on your post " Compare the coverage the war in former Yugosavia - especially the siege of Sarajevo, where 'people like us' were experiencing extreme suffering - got in comparison to equally tragic but mostly ignored conflicts in, say, Africa.

Chiri"

I thought you might be.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Fiesta Mama,

I celebrate you! This is wonderful observation and well written at that! I think you are correct that the coverage is minimal and not everlasting. Maybe the perception is that tragedies such as the Jimani one is the "norm" per se or just another one on their list and when a natural disaster happens in North America or Western Europe it's more tragic because it's unusual. If that's the way the media perceives it, I think it's a pathetic concept.

But yes I would said Canadian and American TV take the cake for being very selective about their broadcasts. A major tragic event such as the one in the DR and Haiti should be well covered with follow up but I guess they feel there would be a lack of interest. I really dont' like saying this but I honestly still believe that there are plenty of North Americans "que no saben d?nde queda la RD" unless they have been there on vacation or know someone that has.

You have take my route when comes to TV which is purchase a satellite dish. I have had excellent coverage daily about Jiman? and I even tune into one channel from the DR "Cadena de Noticias" everyday so I can't say that I am uninformed but that's just me. I like to know everything and stay on top of things so at least when people discuss any news event I give my opinion and not one that's based on what others tell me.

In general the media is pathetic (anywhere). But let's continue to hope that the victims survive this blow, recover and somewhat return to a "normal" life. Aunque me parece imposible. Qu? pena me da.

Chao.

Fiesta Mama said:
I just want to throw my observations out there for discussion on this topic. Obviously the Jimani disaster of last week was horrendous for many on the Island of Hispanolia as well as relatives/friends who are grieving worldwide. I have cried over pictures of this tragic but inevitable event.

I have spoken to some of my friends in the DR over the past week about this issue and they seem to be dealing with it in typical Dominican fashion - it is sad but we will go on. I think Dominican people are blessed with the grace of handling tragedies such as this in stride. They are some of the strongest people I have met (soulwise).

I live in Toronto and have scoured the paper daily to find coverage on the deaths in Jimani only to find minimal coverage, if any.

Why is it that when tragedies or mass deaths such as this happen in third world countries, they are swept under the rug so to speak by the world (especially first world) community. Sure Canada/USA/Europe will send their token forces to "help" clean up but this "natural" disaster is already being forgotten.

My observation is that if a tragedy or mass deaths (now over 1,000) such as this from natural causes were to happen in say North America or Europe... it would be remembered for months if not years and would receive the worldwide coverage it deserves. Why is it that when a country does not benefit from the same economic status as others, its tragedies seem less severe to the world community when in fact the people of countries such as the Dominican Republic have far fewer resources of dealing with the fallout?

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:

Because yoru Canadian press is like most, they pander to the interests of their readers and the DR is not paramount

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is this not the same as trying to get "European" news from American outlets like CNN? One would think Europe did not exist. Interestingly, BBC radio covered a brief interview with Hippo on the floods & a more extensive one with Hans Hertell. Deuschwelle (sp?) the German cable station had pretty extensive coverage, but less graphic pictures than Cadena de Noticias.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
KrackedKris said:
Quite, based on your post " Compare the coverage the war in former Yugosavia - especially the siege of Sarajevo, where 'people like us' were experiencing extreme suffering - got in comparison to equally tragic but mostly ignored conflicts in, say, Africa.

Chiri"

I thought you might be.

OK, now I think I can see how you got that impression, but no, I am not Bosnian. I am European though, and in the 90s the war in the former Yugoslavia got blanket coverage in the media. At the time there was much comment about this, and the conclusion was that because the Bosnians, Croats, etc were Europeans and lived a lifestyle similar to ours there was far more interest in, and sympathy for, their plight, compared to say, the Angolans.

Chiri

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Chirimoya said:
OK, now I think I can see how you got that impression, but no, I am not Bosnian. I am European though, and in the 90s the war in the former Yugoslavia got blanket coverage in the media. At the time there was much comment about this, and the conclusion was that because the Bosnians, Croats, etc were Europeans and lived a lifestyle similar to ours there was far more interest in, and sympathy for, their plight, compared to say, the Angolans.

Chiri

The siege of Sarajevo received pitiful, embarrassing coverage in the US. The longest siege in modern history and few people know of it

Try asking someone in the US or Canada where Srebrenica is

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
KK, I wasn't aware of that. In the UK (where I was living at the time) it practically dominated the media. Apart from the extensive news coverage, the BBC ran a nightly programme called 'Sarajevo diary' with harrowing testimonies from ordinary people living under siege.

Not wishing to hi-jack this thread completely, but going on my limited exposure to the US media, my impression has been that there is very little coverage of international affairs - with the exception of the Middle East, compared to the European media. Can't comment on Canada though.

To bring this back on track, maybe that's why Fiesta Mama and I have had these contrasting impressions of media coverage of the DR/Haiti floods. Is it simply that there is more interest in international stories on the part of the British media?

Having said that, the story has finally slipped off the news agenda since my first post in this thread. I suppose it will take a 'miracle survivor' story to revive the interest. There seems to be one in every earthquake and mudslide, and remember the Honduran woman who survived for ages having been swept out to sea by hurricane Mitch?!

Chiri