POP/Sosua Clubs & Bars

Danyelle

Jun 2, 2004
Hi Again,

Please if anyone has info on good clubs and bars in Puerto Plata and Sosua that are not filled with 'gringos' I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Danyelle

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Danyelle said:
Hi Again,

Please if anyone has info on good clubs and bars in Puerto Plata and Sosua that are not filled with 'gringos' I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Danyelle

Hello Danyelle... I went to sosua recently and there's this nice club called D'Classico right in downtown sosua..it was closed for renovations and just opened last april. My friends and I went like 5 times in a week cause it is so nice...the people..music..ambiance..everything!!! It's a very popular disco with lot of nice people (not too packed so enough space to dance)! There's a lot of local people with of course some tourists! Enjoy your trip and have fun!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
If you want to avoid gringos as you said, go to D'Latinos directly across and 500 feet to the right from Classicos. Or you can go to the Carwash in Sosua and will probably not see 1 gringo there.

Larry

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
Danyelle said:
That sounds great! Thank you Carolina!
Do they play a good mix of music?

Ya ..they play lot of bachata, good salsa, merengue, hip hop and reggae... I find they just mix everything well... and ya D'latinos club too across the street is a nice place too, musics good too with also lot of local people with a mix of gringos but not too many and it is much smaller than the classico....you should try both of them, they're both worth it!! And there 's also this very popular club called ay caribe or carribean (something like that), good music too and there's a little terrace outside... Oh damn I envy you girl..loll

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi Danyelle,
I was in POP / Sosua last week.
SOSUA:
D'Classicos is the only disco open these days (D'Latino of the same owner was closed, certainly on weekdays). Since High Caribe is under remodelation, all gringos and off course the prostitutes with them gather in D'Classicos. There are always a number of male dominicans hanging out as well, it's not really clear whether their the pimps or just trendy guys. I agree that it's a good disco with mixed music and a good sound system but it is not a place to go if you are looking for dominican atmosphere.
Go to Sosua Car Wash or Plaza Caribe on weekends; Plaza Caribe is an outdoor bar/disco behind the former Copacabana disco just before getting to Sosua Sol. A nice bar in Batey is Cowgirl with only dominicans.
A bit further away between Sosua Abajo and La Union on your left side is El Salman, a typical dominican place.
PUERTO PLATA:
I went to La Barrica disco which was loud and dark as usual with lots of merengue, some bachata and some very old romantic boleros. The disco on the Malecon is closed. You should also try La Canita so they told me.
PLAYA DORADA:
There is a new disco opposite the Playa Dorada complex on the highway. I don't know what it is called but dominican friends recommended it to me.
MONTELLANO:
There are now weekly bachata/merengue concerts at Las Brisas de Camu disco in the Montellano village. Very dominican and safe place. Another good bar there is Entre Amigos near the sugarcane factory, music is loud though.
Enjoy it!

Danyelle

Jun 2, 2004
My Goodness!!! Bartolemew you're awesome. Thanks for the thorough rundown! I'll let you know how they were when I return. Leaving Tomorrow HOORRAAAAAYYY!!!! :p

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hehe Escott!
I guess you are right about the Cowgirls, but then again so many small dominican bars have rooms upstairs or at the back. I was just surprised to find this dominican bar in the middle of El Batey with only dominican music. It 's something you'd expect in Charamicos or Sosua Abajo, not really in the tourist zone. Anyway, I enjoyed my Barcelo A?ejo there listening to the latest bachata hits and dancing with some of the waitresses who weren't as sticky as most of the putas in the tourist discos.
Take care
Bartolomeo