Illness at All-Inclusives???

erov

May 25, 2004
Family and I have been to Mayan Riviera last three years. Love it, even though my wife and I usualy get ill. The kids never get sick. Last year I didn't get ill, but wife did for at least a day. We take some precautions...bottle water (brush teeth with it), take peptobismal tablets daily, immodium if we get sick, and stay away from cut fruit (peal fruit ourselves).

Going to Breezes Punta Cana, and wonder if anyone has any imput on self-care or resort itself.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Drink Bottled Water

including tooth brushing and if you want to ask your doctor for a prescription for 10 500 mg Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) or other later generation quinilone like Levaquin, if the trots won't stop after 24 hours of taking Imodium properly ( read the box,, the dosages are quite frequent and rearely obeyed) then take Cipro every twelve hours (And that is 12 hours on the dot, not twice a day when you feel like it) for 5 days -after day 1 1/2 it will be over, if not then see a doctor as it can be Giardisis or other amoebic disorder.

I think the Pepto taken prophylactically is hit and miss to prevent E Coli contamination borne illness, but it won't kill you.

If you are really at odds with the (slim) risk take Dukoral oral cholera / E Coli oral vaccine before you go and you will be pretty much immune though it still doesn't mean drink tap water.

erov

May 25, 2004
thank you for info!

ricktoronto said:
including tooth brushing and if you want to ask your doctor for a prescription for 10 500 mg Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) or other later generation quinilone like Levaquin, if the trots won't stop after 24 hours of taking Imodium properly ( read the box,, the dosages are quite frequent and rearely obeyed) then take Cipro every twelve hours (And that is 12 hours on the dot, not twice a day when you feel like it) for 5 days -after day 1 1/2 it will be over, if not then see a doctor as it can be Giardisis or other amoebic disorder.

I think the Pepto taken prophylactically is hit and miss to prevent E Coli contamination borne illness, but it won't kill you.

If you are really at odds with the (slim) risk take Dukoral oral cholera / E Coli oral vaccine before you go and you will be pretty much immune though it still doesn't mean drink tap water.

I believe I inquired about Dukoral last year. If I remember right I can not get it in the United States or maybe I can order it from Canada now since we are able to buy pharmaceuticals from our neighbors now.
:)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Take It

You can buy it here with or without a prescription. Without is about $20 CDN more than with more or less as with a prescription they have to sell at cost plus the dispensing fee. Without they sell at a markup.

You take two doses in a week, at least a week before travel - there are two to a box for about CDN$80. Then every 90 days you take one dose, so it is about $200 for the first year and $160 annually after that.

The real reason most people get sick at the AI is the buffet type food settings, When you eat at the buffett always go to where the guy prepares the food for you, Don't eat from the trays of food that have been sitting out there for who knows how long. Other than that enjoy!!!
Badpiece

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
erov said:
Family and I have been to Mayan Riviera last three years. Love it, even though my wife and I usualy get ill. The kids never get sick. Last year I didn't get ill, but wife did for at least a day. We take some precautions...bottle water (brush teeth with it), take peptobismal tablets daily, immodium if we get sick, and stay away from cut fruit (peal fruit ourselves).

Going to Breezes Punta Cana, and wonder if anyone has any imput on self-care or resort itself.

Breezes resorts are the part of the Superclubls and are considered to be one of the best. I have never had a complain fromany of the clients satying in the Superclubs anywhere in the world and they are all over.

Hope that helps.

erov

May 25, 2004
thank you!

sunnyvillas said:
Breezes resorts are the part of the Superclubls and are considered to be one of the best. I have never had a complain fromany of the clients satying in the Superclubs anywhere in the world and they are all over.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the great info and consideration!