What do I do with crooked cops?!

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
While visiting the DR in 2001, I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop and his buddy on the back. I was in a van with my family and had made a wrong turn on a one way street near El Conde. They demanded 2000 pesos or that I spend one night in jail for "infraction". Fortunately we were near our hotel and I asked that he take me to the sign that says it's a one way street. On the way I just "happened" to stop by the hotel and quickly told security of our plight. The two moto-cops took off and were never seen again.

My question is, what do you recommend I do should this happen somewhere away from any help? Should I just offer some cash? Is there a standard amount? What if he demands I pay an obscene amount or put me in jail?

Knowledge is power and any you can offer will be wonderful.

Thanks,
Mike

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What to do?

Mikefree5151 said:
While visiting the DR in 2001, I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop and his buddy on the back. I was in a van with my family and had made a wrong turn on a one way street near El Conde. They demanded 2000 pesos or that I spend one night in jail for "infraction". Fortunately we were near our hotel and I asked that he take me to the sign that says it's a one way street. On the way I just "happened" to stop by the hotel and quickly told security of our plight. The two moto-cops took off and were never seen again.

My question is, what do you recommend I do should this happen somewhere away from any help? Should I just offer some cash? Is there a standard amount? What if he demands I pay an obscene amount or put me in jail?

Knowledge is power and any you can offer will be wonderful.

Thanks,
Mike
Each situation is different and unique and there is no one set rule to follow, although I can tell you that they don't need to show you a one way sign for it to be a one way and 2,000 pesos, or 40 bucks, if you like, is a small price to pay for a traffic violation.
Before leaving Canada, 13 years ago, it was a $200 fine for not wearing your seat belt, which in my books, is a bit less serious than driving the wrong way on a one way street.

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
So there's really nothing I can do?

Rocky said:
Each situation is different and unique and there is no one set rule to follow, although I can tell you that they don't need to show you a one way sign for it to be a one way and 2,000 pesos, or 40 bucks, if you like, is a small price to pay for a traffic violation.
Before leaving Canada, 13 years ago, it was a $200 fine for not wearing your seat belt, which in my books, is a bit less serious than driving the wrong way on a one way street.

I just wanted to see the sign because I did not believe him; you know how people drive in the DR. You're right though, 40 bucks is not bad at all, especially if you are in fact breaking a traffic law (although in 2001 when this happened, 2000 pesos was in $100 US range - a little more hard to swallow).

But, is it common to be pulled over for a DWG (driving while gringo), being guilty of nothing? I just don't want to be taken advantage of if at all possible and would like to familiarize myself with any recommendations you experienced people might be able to offer for a situation like this.

Mike

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's a tough call.

Mikefree5151 said:
I just wanted to see the sign because I did not believe him. You know how people drive in the DR. You're right though, 40 bucks is not bad at all, especially if you are in fact breaking a traffic law (although in 2001 when this happened, 2000 pesos was in $100 US range).

But, is it common to be pulled over for a DWG (driving while gringo), being guilty of nothing? I just don't want to be taken advantage of if at all possible and would like to familiarize myself with any recommendations you experienced people might be able to offer for a situation like this.

Mike
Like I said, each situation is different so I would hate to give you advice that blows up in your face.
If you speak the language, it would be a whole different strategy that if you don't.
Smiles and handshakes can sometimes go a long way, if they feel that you are giving them the respect they feel they deserve.
Playing stupid sometimes helps.
Fumbling through your pockets and coming up with a lesser amount than asked for may work.
I guess you have to trust your "street smarts" to guide you through.
If you do get stopped and asked for a large amount and you have to pay, try to justify it by thinking you got a good deal, as compared to what it might have cost you in another part of the world.
If you figure out how much of your taxes go to law enforcement and add that onto the price of a traffic fine in your home country, it's darned expensive, so getting a good deal in the DR might not be so hard to take.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
crooked cops

Something verry simular happened to me last year. I made a wrong turn looking for El Faro a Colon, and a motorcicle cop and his buddy stoped me. The cop was a regular cop NOT from AMET. Unfortunately I was with some female out of towners and we were in the middle of nowhere with no other witneses. The cop told me that we had to go to the police station and I told him no way "we are gonna solve this right here right now" I payed that f -u -k -k- e -r 2,000 pesos and I told him to show me the entrance to the damn place.
If I was alone, I would not have stoped.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
p1atan0 said:
Something verry simular happened to me last year. I made a wrong turn looking for El Faro a Colon, and a motorcicle cop and his buddy stoped me. The cop was a regular cop NOT from AMET. Unfortunately I was with some female out of towners and we were in the middle of nowhere with no other witneses. The cop told me that we had to go to the police station and I told him no way "we are gonna solve this right here right now" I payed that f -u -k -k- e -r 2,000 pesos and I told him to show me the entrance to the damn place.
If I was alone, I would not have stoped.

RD$2,000!!! Jesus, I'm going to go buy a uniform and motorbike :)

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Robert said:
RD$2,000!!! Jesus, I'm going to go buy a uniform and motorbike :)

I was in a gua gua we hired once with a dominican chofer. We were pulled over in Santiago for something very similar. The cop got in the car and told the driver to head to the jail. It took the entire trip and some time there before they reached an agreeable price for freedom. Even the publico drivers carry bribe money in the same pouch they keep their licsense and registration. No one is immune. Pay the money and avoid the problem.
My personal opinion. Nada mas.

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
I'm Back

Well I am now back from another great vacation in the DR. Thanks for all of your advice regarding "crooked cops". I did end up getting pulled over once again, however, this time he only asked for $550 RD. He wanted to take us all to the police station to pay the multa, but I insisted on paying it right then and there (hoping he would realize that he could just pocket the cash and be on his way). After the wheels turned in his head for a few minutes, he took my cash and gave me some friendly directions to my destination. What a great country! I was even driving without a license (stupid, I know) because I left my wallet in the safe at the hotel. I just chalk it up to part of the experience of DR driving.

Any similar experiences out there anyone would like to share? I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks again,
Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'd like to know

If you did anything wrong this time? If not, why pay anything?

If you did, where did you learn to drive???

HB:D

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
If you did anything wrong this time? If not, why pay anything?

If you did, where did you learn to drive???

HB:D

Well, I don't think I did anything wrong this time. I made a U-turn and that's what they told me was wrong. There were no signs saying I could not and it wasn't at an intersection with a stop light or anthing. The only thing nearby was a colmado on the corner.

I used to drive in this country a lot by myself and never had one problem. I have since made two trips back with my family (my wife, two sisters and parents) and have been pulled over on both trips. My personal feeling is that a gua-gua full of white folk is an irresistable target. When I drove by myself, I assumed there were no laws (judging by how dominicans generally drive) and I drove accordingly. I loved it! This past trip I was careful not to speed, run red lights, go the wrong way on one way streets etc. and still I got nabbed.

Why did I pay anthing? Well, I initially tried to not pay, but they insisted on working this out at the police station - I would much rather pay $10 US and get on with my day. Also, the consensus I received on this thread prior to my trip was that I should just pay and be done with it. When you say, 'why pay anything', Hillbilly, how do you get around it once you have been pulled over?

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The Station

Has anyone on here ever been taken in for a traffic violation? I am of the notion to "call their bluff." I might be wrong about this (and please let me know if you have gone into the station) but I think they do it to get the BIG PAYOUT from gringos.

I do know of one gringo who was arrested in a Dominicano sweep (non traffic violation) and the officer claimed he did not know that the guy was American. There was big trouble for the arresting officer.
TEHAMA

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
TEHAMA said:
Has anyone on here ever been taken in for a traffic violation? I am of the notion to "call their bluff." I might be wrong about this (and please let me know if you have gone into the station) but I think they do it to get the BIG PAYOUT from gringos.

I do know of one gringo who was arrested in a Dominicano sweep (non traffic violation) and the officer claimed he did not know that the guy was American. There was big trouble for the arresting officer.
TEHAMA

I was once arrested walking down the street at night. It was the drug squad (DNCD) accusing me of being a haitain drug smuggler. although i am african-american. once they reliazed i was a turist they let me go. I complained to my embassy and i got a apology from the governor of puerto plata and ther chief.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
stallion said:
I was once arrested walking down the street at night. It was the drug squad (DNCD) accusing me of being a haitain drug smuggler. although i am african-american. once they reliazed i was a turist they let me go. I complained to my embassy and i got a apology from the governor of puerto plata and ther chief.
Good for you, stallion! Was it in writing? If so, frame it. Could become an historical document in future.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
stewart said:
I was in a gua gua we hired once with a dominican chofer. We were pulled over in Santiago for something very similar. The cop got in the car and told the driver to head to the jail. It took the entire trip and some time there before they reached an agreeable price for freedom. Even the publico drivers carry bribe money in the same pouch they keep their licsense and registration. No one is immune. Pay the money and avoid the problem.
My personal opinion. Nada mas.

This attitude simply perpetuates the problem!!

Joe