Fed up wit Edenorte !!!!!!!!!

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Hi everybody,

I knew this was going to happen this way just after the elections!!!! This f****** government doesn't give a sh** about the country or the people.

In the last 24 hours, I have been 12 hours without power (Santiago, Residencial El Eden). I am totally fed up with that situation. Furthermore, they dared raising the price of power!!!!

I used to pay between 1500 and 1900 RD$/a month for energy, 2 months ago, I received a bill of 2900 RD$ (and remember, in March, there was plenty of power shortage). I found it strange but paid. My next bill was 6950 RD$!!!! I complained to Edenorte, they came and checked the counter (a deep and sound checking : 5 minutes! :disappoin ). They told me everything was OK and that nobody was stealing my power (as this often happens in this country). I had to pay the bill otherwise, they were going to cut off my line.

Now I check this bloody counter everyday, and no matter there are "apagones" or not, I see the numbers raising.

I can understand I have to pay more than poor people living in "barrios". But at least I wish I had a service !!! I see cross the street they have light most of the time!! There is Basketball ground in front of my house and every night, there are plenty of guys playing there, they have light, while I am on the inversor.

I am afraid my batteries run off of energy, I need power to work (I am a freelance translator and without power, no computer!).

I wanted to go to Edenorte to complain about this situation but my wife, who's Dominican, and some Dominican friends told me this was useless, the only think I will receive is a nice "Yes, we understand the situation" and a good laugh in my back once I'm out, "Mira a este gringo, que piensa ? Que ?l va a cambiar las cosas en este pais ?"

I'm FED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lights went out in my office at 12pm noon yesterday and never returned for the rest of the working day. It was hot like a pizza oven. Then the freakin lights went out the whole night in my house. I must have lost 5 pounds in sweat alone. Now I am in my office and no lights again. What the hell is going on?
AZB
P.S El belga, I am almost your neighbor. I live in paraiso, the left after cecomsa, the road going down hill from the main carretera gurabo. We have different circuits. I know about your apagone last night, I was there (torre luperon building).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have been having long blackouts in Santo Domingo as well, actually no lights right now.

Everybody knew this was going to happen, the government needed votes, so they made sure the electricity was "so so" up until the elections.

The situation is only going to get worse...

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Hang on fellas, 2 months more to go and kiss these mothers a$$es goodbye. Since they lost the elections, they already released the helm of the ship, no steering until august 16.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Wow, it must be my turn to be lucky.. We have had rock solid electricity here ever since 2 weeks before the elections.

We made up for it though - we had MASSIVE blackouts for months when everyone else seem to have great electricity.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
Wow, it must be my turn to be lucky.. We have had rock solid electricity here ever since 2 weeks before the elections.

We made up for it though - we had MASSIVE blackouts for months when everyone else seem to have great electricity.

Don't hold your breath, they are getting to you :)

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Light went out at 6 am, came back at 11 am and out again at 12:30 pm :cry:

This must be a way to spare electricity and to reduce my bill... Thank you Edenorte !!!! :tired:

I think this is the worst service I ever experimented in my life and I traveled extensiveley in Europe and was grown up in Africa. This did not not even happened in Kinshasa !!!! I sometimes wonder if Mobutu (the dictator that was once in place) was not better than Hipo...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
From what I can see, I'll have to skeedadle out of Santo Domingo before August then. I always have electricity but that's because Sanchez Baret (PRD president) lives 3 blocks away... At least in Punta Cana they have their own generators.

Hang on people, this'll only get worse before it gets better unfortunately. And cross your fingers so we don't get Georges' little brother this year... :nervous:

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
KateP said:
And cross your fingers so we don't get Georges' little brother this year... :nervous:

May he take all these stupid assholes and robbers to hell !!!!!! I can't stand anymore these people and their lies. I wish I could grab their collar and squeeze !

I can't even understand how the dominicans can stand this situation. Is it fatalism (as a philosophy) or don't they really care about anything ? In Europe, should a one hour power outage occur, it makes the 1st page of the the entire press. I know I'm not in Europe but there is a minimum and this country will go nowhere this way, if the people is not even upset by all what the government is making to them, why do you want the government to change his attitude ?

Is there an adress where one could write his frustration and his anger and where some responsible people (if there are some in the sphere of influence of this country) can read it ?

Should the things go on like this, may be one day Haiti will come and rescue DR...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Note to people considering moving to the DR:

Make sure you have back up power or can purchase back up power where you buy or rent. I don't ever get inconvienenced or frustrated by lack of power and don't ever plan on getting inconvienenced because of what I have learned here on this board.

You can live a seemless life here despite what you are reading if you know before hand and deal with it while building or buying or renting. Let these people be your guiding light to 24hour electric w/Air conditioning if you can afford it.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Same old story.

I don't understand the optimism that things will improve in August. It has been like this since I moved there during Balaguer and continued during the first Leonel term. Why would it change now?

T

TiberiusMineola

Receivership!! Entire Electrical System?? Why not?

It's time for the 'DR1 Revolutionary Forces' [a new group] to start a peaceful revolution. Organize, demonstate, protest!! The objective? To have the entire DR electrical system put in receivership. Within 90 days. A forced sale. The group that buys, at a fair auction, supervised by the Norwegian government, will be operated by a receiver group, or board of directors of 7. [ 1 Japanese, 1 Austrian, 1 American, 1 Canadian, I Sweede, 1 Israeli, & 1 Pole]. All "legitimate" present creditors will be paid $0.45 on the dollar, w/i 60 days. All new employees t/b , no DR nor Spanish employees permitted for 99 years; at time of takeover, each foreigner must put up US $500. advance payment, to be credited to future bills. No free electricity!! Period!! Period!! Whoever doesn't pay will be cut off after 45 days. Poor? Yes! Cut off!! Government?? Yes!! Cut off!! All new electric meters t/b imported from the EU, & installed. No DR goverment ownership, control, management, nor supervision. If problems, mandatory arbitration, with arbitrators & procedure selected by the E U. What do we have to lose? Sign up now!! This could revolutionzie 3rd world public utilities.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
TiberiusMineola said:
It's time for the 'DR1 Revolutionary Forces' [a new group] to start a peaceful revolution. Organize, demonstate, protest!! The objective? To have the entire DR electrical system put in receivership. Within 90 days. A forced sale. The group that buys, at a fair auction, supervised by the Norwegian government, will be operated by a receiver group, or board of directors of 7. [ 1 Japanese, 1 Austrian, 1 American, 1 Canadian, I Sweede, 1 Israeli, & 1 Pole]. All "legitimate" present creditors will be paid $0.45 on the dollar, w/i 60 days. All new employees t/b , no DR nor Spanish employees permitted for 99 years; at time of takeover, each foreigner must put up US $500. advance payment, to be credited to future bills. No free electricity!! Period!! Period!! Whoever doesn't pay will be cut off after 45 days. Poor? Yes! Cut off!! Government?? Yes!! Cut off!! All new electric meters t/b imported from the EU, & installed. No DR goverment ownership, control, management, nor supervision. If problems, mandatory arbitration, with arbitrators & procedure selected by the E U. What do we have to lose? Sign up now!! This could revolutionzie 3rd world public utilities.

I would like to know who has the misfortune of haveing to go to every pote de luz on every street in the country and sort out the rats nest of wires from people robando luyz. The which poor sucker has to go back every day to enforce it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
stewart said:
I would like to know who has the misfortune of haveing to go to every pote de luz on every street in the country and sort out the rats nest of wires from people robando luyz. The which poor sucker has to go back every day to enforce it.

That reminds me when I used to live in Ens. Isabelita. The post on the corner of my house looked full of spaghetti. The couple of times CDE tried to get in to try and organize things, people started shooting at them... I laugh now when I remember those times but we didn't laugh back then when we had to pay the "tigre" 250 pesos to reconnect us every month. (note: after he had disconnected us) Ay, los buenos tiempos... :D

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
250?!?

We had a guy in Mao that did it for 50. The transformer blew up on our street. After 15 days with no power we had enough. He flagged a passing dump truck, stood on the bed that was the raised for him to reach the line.
Classic DR!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Yeh, but when the guy has a machete in his hand and has control of about 4 blocks, you give him what he's asking... ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It has started all over the country.

Here in santiago the blackouts (in my part of town) are about 4-5 hours long. then 5-6 hours of light and the more blackouts.

Luckily we are installing a new Onan 20kw plant with an aotumatic transfer. In about three weeks we will be an lighted Hovel...

Last night at 2 a.m. I had to get up and turn on our little "plantica" so we would haave some breeze in the bedrooms...I just hope it lasts another three weeks...

HB;)

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I don't understand why anyone is getting upset. If you jump in a pool, you are going to get wet. You live in the DR, la la land, don't take services for granted. Pony up, reach deep into your pocket, put in a few tinaco's, invertor and generator.

My buddy just upgraded his house with a 175 kilo watt catipiller generator. I've suggested he start charging for hookups to his planta!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gringo in dr said:
I don't understand why anyone is getting upset. If you jump in a pool, you are going to get wet. You live in the DR, la la land, don't take services for granted. Pony up, reach deep into your pocket, put in a few tinaco's, invertor and generator.

My buddy just upgraded his house with a 175 kilo watt catipiller generator. I've suggested he start charging for hookups to his planta!
175KW can power more than 1 house. It can probably power the whole block. I find it hard to believe that someone would put such a unit for one house. Matter of fact, I don't believe it.

Scott

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
You would have to know my buddy to understand him. This is the same guy that has 13 cars and only one battery.