Best place for a newb?

aspirin2004

Jun 2, 2004
Hi DR vets,

I'm a computer engineer in Los Angeles and will be visiting in October. I have traveled Baja and speak, read and write some Spanish but am not fluent (usually pack a Spanish translator). What are the best places for a newb like myself to start the vacation at in your opinion? The pictures of DR look absolutely amazing. Is it really that beautiful along the coast? Appreciate all input. Thank you.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
How much time will you have? And am assuming you will be renting a car to be able to get about more freely?

aspirin2004

Jun 2, 2004
Sorry about that. I'll have 2 weeks. Haven't thought much about a car yet as I usually am hesitant to drive in other countries due to them throwing you in prison and whatnot if you aren't immediately willing to part with $200 for a traffic infraction or you get in a fender bender. Lol.. I usually bus it around.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
aspirin2004 said:
Sorry about that. I'll have 2 weeks. Haven't thought much about a car yet as I usually am hesitant to drive in other countries due to them throwing you in prison and whatnot if you aren't immediately willing to part with $200 for a traffic infraction or you get in a fender bender. Lol.. I usually bus it around.

I would stay in Caberete!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Are you a sports/ active person? Tell us more about yourself.

What are you thinking of spending per day.

Where have you traveled before?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I personally think that the North Coast from Sosua to Samana is a great place to check out. Lush green country with a blue green ocean all the way. I picked Sosua to buy and live but I have enjoyed a lot of other places to go and visit. I was in Cabrera last month and plan on returning as soon as I can. What a nice place to hang out!

I couldnt tell you exactly where to stay because you didn't share much about yourself. If you are on the younger side and sportsminded I would recommend Cabarete. A bit older and looking for a nice nitelife I would recommend Sosua. If you are into Nature Samana may be a good place for you.

This is an incredible country that goes from Lush green to desert. Plenty to see. Jarabacoa is a nice mountain town with Rivers for bathing, sports and socializing. Pico Duarte is the highest peek in the Caribbean with frost often and snow occassionally. There is a Salt water lake in the lower west of the country that has crocs that are pretty tame. I could go on and on.

Scott

aspirin2004

Jun 2, 2004
Dolores said:
Are you a sports/ active person? Tell us more about yourself.

What are you thinking of spending per day.

Where have you traveled before?

Good points! I'm late 30's 6' 230lbs WASP that enjoys mingling and walking the beach. Would love to be more but rather typical guy I'm afraid. lol.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
aspirin2004 said:
Good points! I'm late 30's 6' 230lbs WASP that enjoys mingling and walking the beach. Would love to be more but rather typical guy I'm afraid. lol.

I think Cabarete is your best bet!!!!:)))

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So you call yourself "Computer literate"? Okey here's what you do

Go to the search function and find all the posts by a guy named "sliverghost" and Gray Ghost. They are the same guy and he gave us a wonderful account of his stay: all the trips he did and all the fun he had. I think it would be a good place to start.

then i would go and look up "waterfalls Damajagua" and find a post by Robert. It is the outstanding post on that trip, with some funny posts in the thread.

As for a starting point either Sosua or Cabarete would be great. Just so long as you are not in some All-inclusive and feel obiged to consume their fare...

I think with your spirit to get out and about, you 'll have a ball..

HB