Coming Down for a visit, need a few things! =)

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Well, we (father,son, & myself) have decied to come down and stay for a few weeks to see what the DR is all about before making plans to move. Thanks to all the great people on this board we have a pretty good feeling about life in the DR. We plan on staying for 3 weeks. We were hoping that maybe you all could point us in the right direction for the needs we will have while we are there. We want this trip to to give as close a feel to living there as possible. What we need is the following...

1. A furnished home or apartment for 3 people. (willing to pay for a full month)

2. A housekeeper to cook / clean 6 days a week. (willing to pay for full month)

3. High speed internet connection ( I work on the internet & would need to work while in the DR)

Airline tickets are not looking too cheap, around $650 per person round trip. So anything we can save while we are there would be great. We are not looking for the most expensive home to stay in, just something simple and secure someplace close to PoP. We would also be looking for a driver for a few days to show us around and for us to look at property while there.

Also, what kind of things are there to keep a 14 year old boy entertained? We saw something about being able to rent 4 wheelers (dirt bikes) and plan on looking into that. What else might be there for him?

Anyways.. sorry for blathering on.. just trying to make sure not to miss anything. Thanks in advance for the help and look forward to seeing you all soon!

Chris
CPYou Solutions

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not going to happen

Depending on where you are heading I can't really see anyone interested in renting you a furnished apt for a month.
Same thing goes for the cook.
You cannot get high-speed internet set up in a house or apartment in less than two moneth, with luck
Rent the boy a 4 wheeler and make sure you have burial, and emergency evac insurance. Don't be stupid. These things have no insurance and they are fair game for most drivers, since they are always at fault..

That said, there might be places where you could stay long term for much less than hotel rates. Ask Ken or Grahame about that. (if you are going North Shore. )

HB:)

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
... ummm wow, thanks for the nice friendly reply.

As for the 4 wheeler, we saw something about where they take you on a 4 wheeler tour in the woods.. not on the street.

Anyways...

Anyone else have any constructive input?

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
CPYou said:
... ummm wow, thanks for the nice friendly reply.

As for the 4 wheeler, we saw something about where they take you on a 4 wheeler tour in the woods.. not on the street.

Anyways...

Anyone else have any constructive input?

You might not fully understand it yet because you haven't "Lived" here, but HB's comments WERE constructive (especially once you understand his sense of humour!!). DRIVING is dangerous here & the "Gringo" is ALWAYS at fault even when stationary (parked) & the Dominican backs his car/bike into you!! Insurance is something most Dominicans do not have, it is YOUR responsibility to cover yourself from other peoples bad driving!! (Starting to get the drift yet?)

Give us some idea of where you want to stay (north coast, north-east, east, south-east???? ) & we might be able to get round to giving you some more constructive answers!! The 4 wheeler tour in Punta Cana is not much use to you if you are in Santiago or Puerto Plata, so help us to help you. - Grahame

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
His/her first post states desired location as Puerto Plata:

We are not looking for the most expensive home to stay in, just something simple and secure someplace close to PoP.

Over to you, BushBaby!

Chiri

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good idea...

CPYou said:
Well, we (father,son, & myself) have decied to come down and stay for a few weeks to see what the DR is all about before making plans to move.
Always a good idea to check out the place before deciding to move here, although 3 weeks is short,

CPYou said:
1. A furnished home or apartment for 3 people. (willing to pay for a full month)
I believe you will have to find a condo, preferably in the Sosua or Cabarete area with 2 bedrooms. You will not be able to make a long term deal for a short term visit, so you will have to pay tourist prices. It will be worth it, so that you can have the services you want. (Escott has several 2 bedroom condos in Sosua)

CPYou said:
2. A housekeeper to cook / clean 6 days a week. (willing to pay for full month)
The condo owner will be able to arrange that for you easily.

CPYou said:
3. High speed internet connection ( I work on the internet & would need to work while in the DR)
High speed internet right there at the condo may be hard to find, but there are all sorts of alternatives, such as internet cafes, wireless services or friends who have hubs for you to hook your laptop into.

CPYou said:
We would also be looking for a driver for a few days to show us around and for us to look at property while there.
Easy to arrange, once you are here.

CPYou said:
Also, what kind of things are there to keep a 14 year old boy entertained? We saw something about being able to rent 4 wheelers (dirt bikes) and plan on looking into that. What else might be there for him?
Swimming, windsurfing, kite surfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, go-karts, mountain biking, water slides, exploring caves, horseback riding, adventure tours, waterfalls, oh, did I forget to mention girls?

Marco.

nubiankat

Mar 28, 2004
Maybe this will help

CPYou said:

I just noticed this on another thread. Hopefully it's helpful.
Deleted, NO FREE ADS!!! Thanks Tim H.
Happy searching!

Last edited by a moderator:

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Girls?!?!

No need to worry about the girls, I havent been to many places other than Dominican Republic but... men need not to go out and look for girls, the girls come looking for the guys. no matter what the age.
What a shame.
well ill be there in 2 weeks. weeeeeepaaaaaa.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I can put you in contact with someone who will rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in Costambar. These condos have a pool, cable TV, maid service and are half a block to the beach. I think you can get a reasonable rate. If interested contact me via email.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Getting high speed internet will be tough, I waited 7 months for mine. This included calling every working day and offering bribes. There was a technical problem in the cable in the street (well, thats what I was told), so maybe you will be luckier. But I really doubt you can get hooked up within 3 weeks unless you move into an apartment that already has it.