Beserol

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
Can anyone tell me if Beserol, which I believe is taken for anxiety, is still used in the Dominican Republic, or has it been pulled from the market?
Thanks.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I thought Beserol was a muscle relaxant?

In any case, it's funny you should ask if it's been pulled from the market, because the one time I took it, it gave me a severely tingly mouth and my husband swears he's allergic to it.

I think, however, you can still get it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It IS a muscle relaxant. The only help it provides for anxiety, is that if you take enough of it, you will doze off so the anxiety provoking situation won't have to be faced!!

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
The reason I'm asking is that my mother-in-law has a dangerously low red blood cell count which requires her to get frequent blood transfusions. Her doctor blamed it on her use (or misuse?) of Beserol. The information I've been able to get does not mention this as a possible side effect. Although the doctor told me the sale of it has been banned, I'm pretty sure I saw it being sold in a farmacia.
I'm just trying to get all the facts I can, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Good research, KrackedKris. I found some tablets in my medicine cabinet, jmaz98. It was (?is) sold here in the DR as an analgesic & muscle relaxant, each tablet containing 100 mg clormezanona & 324mg metampirona.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
In developing countries, the sales of drugs withdrawn from major markets
by the manufacturer or even banned by regulatory agencies often
continue until the supplies are exhausted. I believe that Beserol may be one of these. The specific reason was a high number of cases of a necrolitic skin disorder. This is also seen with other drugs still in the market, but the problem was a lot more with this one.

The reason that it may be associated with anemia is that, like other medications that mediate prostaglandin inhibition, it can cause gastrointestinal bleeding.

Jmaz98,
It would indeed be wise for your mother-in-law to stop taking this stuff. Her doctor may be on to something. It can also mess up the liver and cause neuropsychiatric symptoms, among a lot of other nasty things.

- Tordok

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
Thanks for all your help. What baffles me is that she says she doesn't take it anymore, which I believe, she's been checked for GI bleeding and none was found, yet her red blood cell count is consistently way below normal.
I'm wondering if there's another explanation for it, which the doctors haven't found yet. Meanwhile, she's had at least 6 transfusions in the past 3 years.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
jmaz98 said:
Thanks for all your help. What baffles me is that she says she doesn't take it anymore, which I believe, she's been checked for GI bleeding and none was found, yet her red blood cell count is consistently way below normal.
I'm wondering if there's another explanation for it, which the doctors haven't found yet. Meanwhile, she's had at least 6 transfusions in the past 3 years.

When I searched for Beserol, there was another drug mentioned that was used in "developing countries" that surpresses bone marrow production, would certainly be worth a check

I found it using GOOGLE only

Pancha

Jun 5, 2004
KrackedKris said:
When I searched for Beserol, there was another drug mentioned that was used in "developing countries" that surpresses bone marrow production, would certainly be worth a check

I found it using GOOGLE only
Beserol is an allergen to all who are allergic to aspirin-- beware! You will get the same reaction as you would to aspirin even thought it is not listed as an ingredient.

fmazz

Jun 12, 2004
Beserol and anemia

Hi Joe! (He's my brother). Well, I did a Medline search and found that in 1975 a genetic variant of the enzyme glucose-phosphate dehydrogenase was discovered in a patient who had overdosed on Beserol (which is a combination of paracetamol and Chlormezanone). The patient presented with hemolytic anemia. This is very relevant since G6PD deficiency is a very common enzyme disorder that results in hemolytic anemia when certain drugs are taken, or fava beans are eaten. It can also be triggered by some infections. So, Joe, I think you have made the diagnosis.