Update: Remax wont return deposit

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
Hi,

Everyone rather than "lick my wounds" as written in my last post, I decieded to call REMAX and the unscrupulous activities of this company to the carpet or in this case to Marbol floor. Truth is "licking wounds" should be left to the dogs, open sores are a god awful thing to look at never mind putting your tongue to it.

I have taken the advice of some of the members and wrote to Remax, surprizing they responded! But are they sincere about resloving the matter?
that remains to be seen. In addition I hired a lawyer, who who has assured me that there is a law that requires that 60% of that deposit be returned,but again that remains to be seen. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again everyone.

HERE IS THE RESPONSE:

We received your e-mail concerning a problem you have encountered involving RE/MAX Metropolitana in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

As you know, RE/MAX International, Inc., which operates in the Dominican Republic under the name RE/MAX Caribbean Islands, Inc., is an international franchising organization made up of thousands of independently owned and operated real estate offices. Although the offices are given the right to use the RE/MAX? name and service mark, each is a separately owned business and responsible for their own activities. Real estate sales associates work as independent contractors out of each office. RE/MAX Caribbean Islands, Inc. legally cannot and does not manage or control the day-to-day activities of either the independently-owned real estate office or the individual sales associates who work within the office. Nevertheless, when a situation such as this is brought to our attention, we want you to know that we care and will do what we can to try to alleviate your concerns.

We believe that the RE/MAX Network of offices and sales associates is the finest real estate organization. Our excellent reputation is the result of a commitment on the part of each RE/MAX Affiliate to provide the finest in professional real estate services. As with any business, however, occasional problems such as those expressed by you will arise. It is our sincerest hope that this matter will be amicably resolved soon. It is our further hope that all involved will have improved relationships and communications in the future.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Can I ask you a questions? How much of a deposit did you put down? Who is handling the case and how much is he/she going to charge you? Sometimes it's best to let it go. Cheaper too.

Nevertheless, when a situation such as this is brought to our attention, we want you to know that we care and will do what we can to try to alleviate your concerns.

I may not know much but that last sentence doesn't say they will get your money back. But I could be wrong. I don't have all the facts.

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
I put a $US 6000.00 deposit, the person who is handling the case is charging me a 10% of what ever he recovers. I thought of letting it go, but I put 620 hours of my time to earn that money, not so that some slick talking Barnum alumni can come along and sip Presindentes on my pennies and tell the story of how he coined the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute" this is the second minute and I dont see another sucker .

Will REMAX help? Maybe they will open a avenue of communication between the parties and bring this to a conclusion.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You will not get your money back from the DR division. Or if you do it will cost you more than 620 hours, and you would be better spent using that time to make more money and working on something positive.

My advice? Put up a website: remax-sucks.com. Explain your story. Include that email about how remax worldwide basically doesn't care what happens to their name in other countries, and how people from the USA should take that into consideration when they do business with them.

You can easily run some google adwords ads, just for google in the USA region. Nobody is advertising on the keyword 'remax', so you will get a bunch of traffic. Pay for a couple of weeks worth of traffic (maybe $200) to the site.

You could also let remax-USA know about it, although they will probably find it. Then see what happens.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
You will not get your money back from the DR division. Or if you do it will cost you more than 620 hours, and you would be better spent using that time to make more money and working on something positive.

My advice? Put up a website: remax-sucks.com. Explain your story. Include that email about how remax worldwide basically doesn't care what happens to their name in other countries, and how people from the USA should take that into consideration when they do business with them.

You can easily run some google adwords ads, just for google in the USA region. Nobody is advertising on the keyword 'remax', so you will get a bunch of traffic. Pay for a couple of weeks worth of traffic (maybe $200) to the site.

You could also let remax-USA know about it, although they will probably find it. Then see what happens.

Your 10% recovery fee will buy you lots of traffic via AdWords.
Plus I have a feeling you would get lots of attention from ReMax :)

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
I dont lose any more than I have already if I fight the good fight, and I now have hired a shark to go after the piranhas. But is this true about the law that says if you dont buy a property 60% of the money is returned? He mentioned it by statue seemed ligit. Here in the states if the bank doesnt fund you all the money is returned, and if you pull out of a deal I do know that the some of that money is returned.

Putting up a web-site may have worked in the states, but it will hardly have an impact on REMAX Dom. Rep. they would see it as nothing more than a pimple on a Burritos Butt.

I'll take my chances its not my back thats up against a wall.

Last edited:

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
ReMax

I am incredulous that you found a DR lawyer that is willing to settle for 10% of what he recovers. Could you please give me his name and phone # and by the way if you have not done so put this arrangement in writing and have it signed sealed and notarized.
Adam Spenser

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Who is the Culprid?

I am presently looking for properties in Sto. Domingo with a realtor for Re-Max. I would be very interested in knowing who, in particular, you were dealing with for several reasons. I would like to opportunity to avoid the person if I choose to, knowing their reputation. Also, maybe if I mention knowledge of your dissatisfaction with your transaction I can both encourage them to "do the right thing" in the future and possibly encourage them to settle this matter with you to avoid any further embarassment. I don't know if it will help or not, but I don't think it can hurt. If for some reason you choose not to post the realtor's name, you can post information on the property which would help when I refer to this transaction. I would still like to know the agent's name. If you like you can e-mail or PM me.

Thanks,

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
REMAX Burnt to the MAX!

Well,

It looks like to escape their debt to me and others the Remax Sto. Dgo. office disbanded and then scattered like roaches when you turn the light on. Too bad I didn't get a chance to stomp on a few of them before they crawled back into the walls.

What a lousy bunch of con-artist they couldn't even defend themselves in court. Lesson learned but too costly of one, at least I can say I tried.

Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of purchasing a home in DR.

In the famous words of that great singer song writer JAMES BROWN

" WATCH YA' SELF!"