Aggressive cops

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The following 3 things have happenned lately, and could be coincidence, but nevertheless it might be wise for those of us who can to be careful.

1) I never mentioned it but when my missing uncle was found, he was found in police custody, naked and badly beaten. This is not surprising given how aggressive he can be when he is off his meds, and the police claimed they found him that way in a public park, which is also not so hard to believe.

2) I was pulled over on the 27 de Feb. on Sunday by two plainclothes PN on a motorcycle, they asked to see my car's papers and started insisting the papers were wrong, needed more stamps, etc. (not true) just giving me a general hassle until finally they got bored with my 1-word responses and refusal to argue with them and went away. There was absolutely no reason for them to pull me over and in 5 years in Santiago this has never happenned before.

3) Yesterday my store's messenger was arrested for no reason while on his routes, beaten to a pulp, asked to confess to being a motorcycle purse-snatcher smothered with a plastic bag, beaten again, and when he pointed to his work uniform as proof that he was just making rounds for our store the uniform was torn from him and ripped to shreds, and he was beaten and smothered again. He is now at the Palacio de "Justicia" with our company attorney filing a complaint.

So is it just me, or do the police seem a little restless lately?

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
An explanation?

Hello,

Could it be that these policemen know or feel this is the end a a period where the can do anything and this make them nervous ?

I've been told that Hipo gave the police many power and that they could do almost everything they wanted. I don't know if this is true or not, as I never experienced any problem of this kind (and hope I never will), but I can easilly believe it. Any dictator in the world finds a support near the police and the army. No wonder why so many generals have been appointed recently and why so many policemen have been appointed during the last 4 years.

"El calvo I" doesn't even wants to assume his responsabilities until the new government is in place (see the fiscal reform, the negociation with the IMF, etc.), so this country is virtually without government till the 16th of August. Why should they stay till this day if they don't want to take any decision and do nothing ?
I remember a few times ago, in a former USSR Republic (cannot remember which one), the people invaded the Presidential Palace and got the sack to the President because they did not approved his actions anymore. All this happened in a pacific way without a shot. I think such a think should happen here, as, after 4 years of treachery and robbery, the actual government is just busy trying to steal what still can be stolen.

After an election, the winner should be in place after a short transition period and not after 3 months !

They cannot pay the gas allowances, they cannot pay the power, but, strange enough, they had money to buy more than 200 jeepetas to members of the PRD and to pay motors who were given to support his balness campaign (without counting all the 500 RD$ notes that were given to the people who went to the meetings and the bags of food they gave to poor people - who indeed really needed them, as thanks to the policy of these last years, the people is starving). I never saw that much luxury cars and SUVs as this last year in the country, so I am afraid that the money the poors lost has been "collected" by some others...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh man!!

MrMike said:
The following 3 things have happenned lately, and could be coincidence, but nevertheless it might be wise for those of us who can to be careful.

1) I never mentioned it but when my missing uncle was found, he was found in police custody, naked and badly beaten. This is not surprising given how aggressive he can be when he is off his meds, and the police claimed they found him that way in a public park, which is also not so hard to believe.

2) I was pulled over on the 27 de Feb. on Sunday by two plainclothes PN on a motorcycle, they asked to see my car's papers and started insisting the papers were wrong, needed more stamps, etc. (not true) just giving me a general hassle until finally they got bored with my 1-word responses and refusal to argue with them and went away. There was absolutely no reason for them to pull me over and in 5 years in Santiago this has never happenned before.

3) Yesterday my store's messenger was arrested for no reason while on his routes, beaten to a pulp, asked to confess to being a motorcycle purse-snatcher smothered with a plastic bag, beaten again, and when he pointed to his work uniform as proof that he was just making rounds for our store the uniform was torn from him and ripped to shreds, and he was beaten and smothered again. He is now at the Palacio de "Justicia" with our company attorney filing a complaint.

I am so sorry, again, that you are going thru so much again. When would it end!!
Let me tell you that there are alot of cowards that they think that they are "big machos" when they are carrying agun. I am so darn sure that if they did not a gun to wave around, they are pendejos with a capital P. They think that having a gun gives then authority and power. I just hope that when they lose their jobs, for people that were wronged by them, to gather in a circle and beat the hell out of them!!!!!. Sorry MrMike.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
For what it is worth I have ALWAYS known the PN to be this way. They are nothing more than cowardly thugs! In most situations they are looking for bribes. I usually just mention how they look like they could use a beer and offer them 50 pesos for a 'grande' and if they are looking for more $$$ then I mention we should head for the palacia to straighten the problem out.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well I'm having an extra slice of bacon for breakfast each morning as a silent protest until the new government takes over. Not because I think the problem will end there, just because I think that's all the bacon I can handle.

gin

Mar 19, 2004
El Belga said:
Hello,

I remember a few times ago, in a former USSR Republic (cannot remember which one), the people invaded the Presidential Palace and got the sack to the President because they did not approved his actions anymore.

Georgia, the president was Edouard Chevardnadze ;)

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Juan_Lopez said:
...I mention we should head for the palacia to straighten the problem out.

This is what helped me a few times too. I just mentioned having seen a bunch of officers on the corner and asked the greedy bastards to go over there, to talk to them and clear things out.
Suddenly they were in a hurry....

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
One thing for sure you guys have big big @@ , you really must love DR :confused:
Generally I'm not a coward, anyway these stories I keep reading are really scary.
I know for experience that we have to take what we read here with a bit of detachment but this stuff is disgusting :(

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
MrMike said:

Try not to stop for those plain clothes "officers". It has become an easy way to mug people. Uniform only...if you feel like it at the time. If you see an army stop with soldiers and rifles...STOP right away...no messing with the. The rest...ignore as much as possible...el arte de hacerse el pendejo.:D

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
A cop is a cop

I'm really sorry about what these cops did to you, your uncle, and your employee. I hope this never happens to you again.

I have to say that unlike my fellow posters, I believe this is typical cop behavior anywhere. A good example would be the hatian in New York around 7 years ago who got a PR-24 (long stick cops carry) shoved up his rear end.

Most of my horror stories come from back home in the US. Most of those stories came from return trips from here (INS/CUSTOMS). Try explaining to them that you travel 12 times a year and don't have a job and they assume you've got drugs SOMEWHERE.

When you mentioned bacon, a word came to mind: PIG

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
An opportunity..

AZB said:
This is sickening.
Perhaps this would be a good time for Leonel to come out and publicly advise all government employees that they had better shape up and stop all forms of abuse, be it physical or robbing the coffers, lest he hunt them down and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.(or worse)
Cowards in positions of power are still cowards, and the chicken little b...ards may not be so disposed to continue commiting these crimes, if they fear for their lives.
Get their names, and make sure they are reported to the new government.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yes, but!

ustelephone said:
I have to say that unlike my fellow posters, I believe this is typical cop behavior anywhere. A good example would be the hatian in New York around 7 years ago who got a PR-24 (long stick cops carry) shoved up his rear end.
. (Actually, I believe that it was a broomstick or a plunger). The difference is that here, they may not get jail time but at least they will try the offender and find a way to kick him out of the force. Over there they all get away with it!. Here, true, there are some that take brides and such but we know that over there in the DR, it's a way of life!.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
miguel said:
. (Actually, I believe that it was a broomstick or a plunger). The difference is that here, they may not get jail time but at least they will try the offender and find a way to kick him out of the force. Over there they all get away with it!. Here, true, there are some that take brides and such but we know that over there in the DR, it's a way of life!.

I believe you are right, it was a plunger. Either way, a PIG is still a PIG. When you are confronted with the plunger you aren't thinking about the punishment the cerdo is going to get.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
miguel said:
I am so sorry, again, that you are going thru so much again. When would it end!!
Let me tell you that there are alot of cowards that they think that they are "big machos" when they are carrying agun. I am so darn sure that if they did not a gun to wave around, they are pendejos with a capital P. They think that having a gun gives then authority and power. I just hope that when they lose their jobs, for people that were wronged by them, to gather in a circle and beat the hell out of them!!!!!. Sorry MrMike.

It pays to have connections and thankfully I do. Gee where do I start? I have been living in the Sosua/Caberete area for almost 10 years and I have had my experiences with the police, immigracion and customs officials. First problem I had was with a particular police Lt, whom I will not name because he is no longer a police Lt. I was introduced to him by a friend that I am a personal friend of a military general (which is true). As I tried to say "hola" the man who identified himself as a jefe in the police started poking me in the chest telling me that "you don't know nobody". I tried to walk away but was grabbed so hard that he bruised my arm. I am not a small person, built solidly however he got a good clamp onto me. I broke away and the next day I drove right over to the base near La Union Airport. Of course I was allowed right into the general's office. I told him what happened and guess what happened to the police Lt? I guess he has had problems before because he was forced to take his pension and is now harrassing tourists in a different way. Another time I was stopped by an immigracion official in La Union Intl for not paying my taxes. When I realized that I was going to miss my flight I then displayed my military ID card (not a business card) that has my photo on it as well as a Lt. General's of the F.A.D. photo and signature. She smirked saying that the general was a piece of s--- and was not her boss. She let me go but not without calling me names and telling me to watch out when I return. She would not provide me with her name but she was very attractive with green eyes. I called the general from my cell phone in the airport and she was removed within an hour by two captains who drove over to the airport to question her. Once again, if you don't have connections and you plan on living here I advise to find a friend in the higher ranks of the military. In closing I want everyone to know that I do not drive/walk around flaunting and abusing my power there. But when harrassed I will pull out that ID card in a New York minute.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
It pays to have connections and thankfully I do. Gee where do I start? I have been living in the Sosua/Caberete area for almost 10 years and I have had my experiences with the police, immigracion and customs officials. First problem I had was with a particular police Lt, whom I will not name because he is no longer a police Lt. I was introduced to him by a friend that I am a personal friend of a military general (which is true). As I tried to say "hola" the man who identified himself as a jefe in the police started poking me in the chest telling me that "you don't know nobody". I tried to walk away but was grabbed so hard that he bruised my arm. I am not a small person, built solidly however he got a good clamp onto me. I broke away and the next day I drove right over to the base near La Union Airport. Of course I was allowed right into the general's office. I told him what happened and guess what happened to the police Lt? I guess he has had problems before because he was forced to take his pension and is now harrassing tourists in a different way. Another time I was stopped by an immigracion official in La Union Intl for not paying my taxes. When I realized that I was going to miss my flight I then displayed my military ID card (not a business card) that has my photo on it as well as a Lt. General's of the F.A.D. photo and signature. She smirked saying that the general was a piece of s--- and was not her boss. She let me go but not without calling me names and telling me to watch out when I return. She would not provide me with her name but she was very attractive with green eyes. I called the general from my cell phone in the airport and she was removed within an hour by two captains who drove over to the airport to question her. Once again, if you don't have connections and you plan on living here I advise to find a friend in the higher ranks of the military. In closing I want everyone to know that I do not drive/walk around flaunting and abusing my power there. But when harrassed I will pull out that ID card in a New York minute.

Must make you happy that two people lost their income because they were doing their jobs when they ran inot a "punk" and his "Boss" Wait until the political tide changes, maybe you should try Colombia next

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
All the General's men....

DominicanScotty said:

Wow. I wouldn't want to mess with you (which is true). Hope you never run into a problem in the States or anywhere else outside of the DR. I'm afraid that card with 2 pictures will get you a smile from an INS agent on steroids, not an attractive Dominicana with green eyes. :speechles

That's a great story to tell over a game of dominos at the culmado, but I wouldn't repeat it anywhere else.

Also, it?s immigration when writing English. :ermm:

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
DominicanScotty said:
Another time I was stopped by an immigracion official in La Union Intl for not paying my taxes.

I guess that if you don't pay your taxes, it's only logical that you got into troubles... It's a pity not every crook in this country is arrested when they decide not to pay what they owe. I think the economy of DR would be better off.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
El Belga said:
I guess that if you don't pay your taxes, it's only logical that you got into troubles... It's a pity not every crook in this country is arrested when they decide not to pay what they owe. I think the economy of DR would be better off.

The corruption runs all the way to the top. If there is more money available in taxes, it just gets stolen at upper levels. It does not benefit the people at the bottom.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
El Belga said:

I love this board. I knew there was another piece of stupidity in there somewhere that I missed. I knew someone else would find it.