san francisco de macoris

pinkrainbow

Jun 5, 2004
Hello my name is Marsha and I just wondered if anyone could give me a little information. My husband is from San Francisco De Macoris and we will be moving there in sometime, I have been trying to look for information about the city on the internat but seemed to have had some problems. If there is any information anyone can share with me or know where i can go to get information I would appreciate it.

Pancha

Jun 5, 2004

Marsha the general manager of the MultiCentro Sirena in San Francisco is of American/Dominican heritage. He's been there a while-transferred from SD to work at the store. As a newcomer to SFM he may have insights on living there from a bicultural point of view.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
SFM is a nice little town situated in cibao region. Its been known for dom-york ex-drug dealers town. You will see alot of people with nice beautiful huge houses and many who speak english. It so happens that many people from that town live in NY and bring back cash or simply send the green bills to their family so they can live the high life (some what chopo). You will like it, its a nice little town with lots of money to be found if you are in the right business.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't be misled by "nice little town". It is a city of about 170,000. It is the major city of the Cibao region, a rich agricultural area. People are friendly. It is a true Dominican City; not a tourist center.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like most places

It has two sides. There are the obviously drug related monied folks, with no class and tons of money to burn, and who put up the god-forsaken ugly pieces of concrete to impress their former neighbors.
Then there are the really nice people that are family oriented, go to the better schools and lead more or less normal lives.
SFM is either the fourth of fifth largest city in the DR, and might even be the third largest.. It has excellent communication with the rest of the country and internationally well connected, too.
There is not a whole lot to do there. Entertainment is limited to winter league baseball, local sports activities, dances at different locales according to taste.
Family is important, and so are "connections." The mentality is small town USA. Everyone sticks their nose into your business-mostly out of curiosity..

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
pinkrainbow said:
I have been trying to look for information about the city on the internat but seemed to have had some problems.

That's your first problem right there. Next time why don't you try using the INTERNET instead to try and find some info...Just kidding!!!

I'm from Cotui (about 25 minutes away from SFM)...basically what HB said. It is a pretty decent size town. It has a couple of universities, some decent private schools, many bars (just like any town in The DR) and quite a few nice neighborhoods. The economy is mostly agricultural based. You're about one hour away from the beach (Nagua) and not too far from the mountains either. Let me know if you need more specific info.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You'll probably get used to that nice town. It is the 5th largest in the country, the town is well connected to both Santiago (to the west, the Second largest city in the DR with about 3/4 of a million people, very modern and heavily influence by U.S. patterns in the modern areas) and Santo Domingo (3 million people metropolis, anything you want is there). SFM is served by the Cibao International Airport near Santiago. You're near lovely countryside scenery, very close to some foothills and mountains, the glorious Samana Peninsula and the pretty and traquil countryside of Sanchez Ramirez (Cotui) Province.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I lived in San Francisco de Macor?s for 2 years and it remains one of my favorite towns in the DR. My wife of nearly 37 years was born and raised there; many of her family still reside there. Though a little off the beaten path, most of the amenities are available in SFM including US style fast food places such as Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Though agriculture is probably the single most important endeavor in SFM, there are some active Zona Franca companies. There is a Dominican professional baseball team there as well as the baseball youth academies of the Atlanta Braves and Seattle Mariners.

One of my favorite hotels in the DR is located there as well. You get a tremendous value for your $$ and the staff is great. I'll be there in about 2 weeks! :)

Swede